If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 7
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

1. Never been asked, but my replies would be:

Officer, Many of my very good freinds are in law enforcement, and if we are out somewhere and they need a BUG, I can hand them mine.

Officer, Many of my very good freinds are in law enforcement, I've lost 2 very good freinds in the line of duty, and I carry because I always slow down when I see an officer has pulled someone over on a traffic stop; sometimes things can go bad, and the officer's backup may be late arriving; one freind was killed while trying to reload, and I'd hate for any officer's family to suffer the loss I felt with my two freinds if I can help prevent it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I'd ask him/her why they carry? After all the donut shop's safe, right?
    I hope this is a joke.....
    -Austin

To me the best answer is "to protect me and my family" and just leave it at that. There are many people in this world and everyone has a different opinion on just about everything. But I do feel that most people would protect themselves and their families.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    To me the best answer is "to protect me and my family" and just leave it at that. There are many people in this world and everyone has a different opinion on just about everything. But I do feel that most people would protect themselves and their families.
    Austin, this is not directed at you, per se, it's just a suggestion from me.

Friends, when someone asks you that question, the subject has been brought up in conversation. Otherwise, someone has seen your gun..not cool for a concealed carry person.

Anyway, before you start spewing out whatever it is you spew, the first thing you should do is answer a question WITH a question. It goes like this:

"Why do you carry?"

"That's an interesting question. Why do you ask?"

They now have to answer you, and YOU are in control of the conversation. Most times you will probably get a " "I was just curious" answer. Then you can choose to give them an answer or not. If they DO answer with a specific question, give them a specific answer. Something like this:

" Well, guns are dangerous, and I don't like them. I don't see a need for them." And they they go into an anti-gun tirade like you've never heard before.

( This argument can't be won, so don't try, in my opinion. ) Answer like this:

" I don't like them either. But I don't like NOT having one when a bad guy DOES." THEN SHUT UP! You aren't going to change their minds.

hey GOV5: You are right in your last reply. I cannot understand why an LEO would even ask the question; in may be more of a "what kind of firearm do you carry?" than a "why do you carry?". As far as others are concerned, if they ask the question, they are not really asking they are telling you they disagree from the getgo. Ignore the question and move on is the right tactic. If they insist, you continue to ignore it--it is really none of their business, and, as I said before, they are not asking a question, they are giving you an argument.

It has just been my experience that responding to a LEO (and thats what this thread is about) being confrontational, playing word games, or spouting constitutional rights seems to make the situation escalate.

Playing the part of a judge or a supervisory officer asking questions.

So officer why is he arrested: he has a gun (legal or not) and was being irate and irrational (could happen) so I arrested him for disturbing the peace.

or

So officer why is he arrested: he has a gun (legal or not) and wants to protect himself or his family (doesn't seem likely)

Before someone starts taking offense at some small part of my reply, I am just putting my opinion on what I believe answers the threads topic question best.
    -Austin

If a cop asked me that question, I'd ignore him and drive on with my business.

At the very least my answer would be "Because I can" and "For the same reason that you do"

That's all he or she deserves from me.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    If a cop asked me that question, I'd ignore him and drive on with my business.

At the very least my answer would be "Because I can" and "For the same reason that you do"

That's all he or she deserves from me.
    Like I said earlier, I try to avoid having conversations with LEOs. In general you should never say ANYTHING to a LEO unless in the presense of an attorney.

Why anyone has this "I have rights attitude" is beyond me. Sure there are some bad LEOs out there but "attitude" only makes it worse at the street level in those circumstances. Try to consider the fact that you have been stopped because of a traffic violation, which you probably committed--you have already demonstrated poor judgement and are not the perfect person to be talking about "rights" (what about the other dirivers who had their "rights" compromised by your violation?). The LEO has no idea who or what you are other than the fact that you have already demonstrated poor judgement at the very least--and now you want him to put up with your "I have rights attitude"--are you kidding me?

read them all.
    I suppose the best and least confrontational answer would be Self Defense.
    Answering Same reason you Do may be agitating to them or an opening to further questioning.
    I did agree with all of the answers and would really like to use a few of them, but Self Defense may still be thesimplestIMHO

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast