If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 9
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Any time anyone asks me why I carry a gun, I always look them in the eye and ask them why they wear a seat belt?

Sometimes that answer isn't enough and they say something like 'seat belts don't kill people' I tell them they do to. Imagine being in a wreck with car on fire and you can't unhook your seat belt... why do all firemen carry seat belt cutters?

Then I simply ask them if they PLAN to get into a wreck each time they drive? They say no. I tell them I don't PLAN to pull my handgun, but I carry it just in case... same reason they wear a seat belt.

Of course one ignorant screwball made the mistake of telling me he only wears a seat belt because it's the law... I told him I carry a gun because it's the law. He looked at me like my head was screwed on backwards. I didn't bother to go into the Constitution or 2A with him.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I would not answer that question from a LEO during, say, a traffic stop. No reason to ask it or answer it. I would very politely completely ignore the question.
    THAT is the right answer. We have a winner, and here's why (watch all three parts): YouTube- Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

This has NOTHING to do with dislike of the cops, it is a matter of principle.

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmood View Post
    THAT is the right answer. We have a winner, and here's why (watch all three parts): YouTube- Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

This has NOTHING to do with dislike of the cops, it is a matter of principle.
    I've seen that before, and I thought of it when this thread started.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?

it's my right under the 2nd. ammendment, and in an emergency the police are only minutes away. you just can't wait that long and a cop is to heavy to carry!
    Last edited by oldvet53; 04-08-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: mistake

wolfhunter Guest
    When a LEO has asked me why I carry, the question came up while shooting the breeze in a gun store or at the range. My response has been a discussion of the reasons THEY carry off-duty. Then I tell them I carry for the same reasons.

When a family member or acquaintance asks, my response is to act like it is totoally ABNORMAL to NOT carry, and ask why they don't.

Then we can usually have a rational discussion behind possession and carrying firearms.
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 04-25-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

My method

Drivers license and handgun permit out
    Drivers side windows down
    Both hands on the top of steering wheel
    If asked why I carry, I point out I've been a victim of armed robbery before.

All lawful purposes.
    Curt Lovelace
    Bible believing, gun toting pastor
    Acton, Maine

As for the LEO , I guess you could use the fire extinuisher philosophy and ask him the same question, because 99.9% of the traffic stops he makes are going to be law abbiding citizens and would not need it, but you might not want to say that cause he might construe that as being cocky and arrest you for some unknown offense.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rite2Bear View Post
    As for the LEO , I guess you could use the fire extinuisher philosophy and ask him the same question, because 99.9% of the traffic stops he makes are going to be law abiding citizens and would not need it, but you might not want to say that cause he might construe that as being cocky and arrest you for some unknown offense.
    Arrested for some unknown offense? That would be a false arrest and misuse of authority. Grounds for reimbursement from his jurisdiction and a black mark in his personnel file.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    neighborhood sure doesn't matter. i live in a rural area here in ark. and just a few days ago one of the neighbors got burgled. the good news they were caught on tape by by the secirity system
    molon labe

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast