Bad LEO situation in TN
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad LEO situation in TN

Exclamation Bad LEO situation in TN

Yesterday an unfortunate scenario played our near Gallatin, TN:
    About 2:30am a police car was nearly struck head on by another vehicle. The police officer gave chase and was aided by another patrol car in the pursuit. The chase was at very high speeds until the speeder lost control of his car and went off in a ditch/ravine. The first officer on the scene rushed to the victims aid and as he slipped and fell in the ditch his fire arm discharged. The second office a few seconds behind him heard the shot, saw the officer fall and fired several times on the speeder and killed him . . . he was un armed.
    Both officers are on administrative leave pending the investigation but I have to feel badly for them anyway while trying to do their duty. Such a misfortunate situation the victim placed them both in . . . .

Here's a good one for you "one in the pipe guys..."

Now try to tell me the officer responsible for the NDA did not have the necessary training.

That is a situation that went from bad to worse. Amazing how circumstances of just trying to do your job can go so wrong. Hope it all works out.
    Not being cold but maybe something to learn. What type of gun was the Officer carrying and was it still in his holster or in his hand? I think something can be learned if we ever find out more.

5. "fell in the ditch his fire arm discharged"

Not quite. "The officer failed to obey basic firearm safety and had his finger on the trigger when he was unprepared to shoot." The "unfortunate situation" was the result of 2 poorly trained LEOs.

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by NewColonial View Post
    "fell in the ditch his fire arm discharged"

Not quite. "The officer failed to obey basic firearm safety and had his finger on the trigger when he was unprepared to shoot." The "unfortunate situation" was the result of 2 poorly trained LEOs.
    I'm thinking the officer already had his weapon drawn when he lost his footing. This was a high speed chase, a fleeing suspect! Even if the pursuit terminates suddenly, i.e. vehicle crash, etc, officers will approach weapons drawn. It is unfortunate, but the moral of this tragedy is "DON"T RUN FROM THE POLICE"!! If the suspect would have pulled over when the officers lit him up, he would still be alive.

""The officer failed to obey basic firearm safety and had his finger on the trigger when he was unprepared to shoot." The "unfortunate situation" was the result of 2 poorly trained LEOs."

Yours is the most reasonable conclusion.

Cooper's basic rules: Until you have identified your target and determined a safe background,

1. Keep your finger off the trigger.
    2. Keep your finger off the d**m trigger.
    3. Keep your d**m finger off the trigger.
    4. Keep your d**m finger off the d**m trigger.
    5. Finger! Trigger! NO!!

Follow these five rules and you will not make a noise or put a hole in anything you don't want to.

Arrow Official media story LEO shooting

It's an intersting perception from fsthers point of view:

Lebanon officer's shot kills unarmed motorist | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

9. Sounds like second broke the rule about knowing what you are shooting at. It's scary to think he'd start shooting just because he hears a gun shot.

I have nothing against LEOs, but there seems to be a serious training issue in that local department.

mojo Guest
    I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement; until they give me a reason they dont deserve it. the second officer was way out of line in his "reaction/over-reaction" to a situation that he basically had no intel on!! only that he heard a shot. could have been the car backfiring (ok not likely but) anyway a horrible situation for all involved. I cant imagine!!

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    ""The officer failed to obey basic firearm safety and had his finger on the trigger when he was unprepared to shoot." The "unfortunate situation" was the result of 2 poorly trained LEOs."

Yours is the most reasonable conclusion.

Cooper's basic rules: Until you have identified your target and determined a safe background,

1. Keep your finger off the trigger.
    2. Keep your finger off the d**m trigger.
    3. Keep your d**m finger off the trigger.
    4. Keep your d**m finger off the d**m trigger.
    5. Finger! Trigger! NO!!

Follow these five rules and you will not make a noise or put a hole in anything you don't want to.
    so then I have a question... as far as your finger is concerned... and the trigger...ummmm...

seriously though.. this is very unfortunate. obviously some training was either missed or not taken too seriously.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast