Let's Get Real........ - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Real........

echo_5 Guest

Thumbs up -my $.02

My family is the most important and loved thing in my life. If I percieved them to be in danger, I will protect them and explain myself later because.....'tis better to be judged by twelve than carried by six!

Know the law

i think the biggest issue here is our responsibility as permit holders to know the law and to run all different types of cenarios thru our heads constantly as we are out in public so that we know when it is appropriate to protect ourselves and when its better to help as many people out of harms way as we can. i don't see my permit as an extension of my manhood or the end all solve all to my problems. we are talking about the taking of a life here that is serious business not just legally but eternally too! in my classes i use another "catchy" phrase: there is a difference between whats legal and whats wise. we each need to revue our states laws at least monthly and know exactly what our rights are so that we are always making the right decision. Then we need to decide what our personal barriers are based on the parameters of the law. what events would cause me to actually need to be "judged by 12?" will i use any means to protect those that i love? Absolutely, that's why i applied for a permit when i was 21. Will i use my priviledges to protect others? it depends on the situation honestly. My gun cannot and will not solve all of my problems.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Quite often actually! There are quite a few example on this site. Some of which you would probably think that were not justified. One case in mind is where a man call the police and told them that two people were breaking into his neighbors house. He told 911 that they were taking things out of the house and he had his shotgun and he was going to shoot the burglars. 911 telling him not to you next hear two gunshots. Both Illegal aliens were killed and the Cops drove up as they fell. No charges were filed and under the Castle Doctrine it was justified.
    And had this guy not made racist comments on television afterwards it would have helped our cause more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
    I for one will not carry concealed until the laws are more in line with the "Good Samaritan doctrine" that shields a person from prosecution when trying to do the right thing.
    Simply carrying a firearm does not compel you to use it. You can always take other actions, or simply do nothing. In many cases, the "Good Samaritan" laws actually require that people render assistance. Requiring that all CWP holders shoot at a threat would cause all kinds of problems.

I'm just not interested in fighting unless there is no other alternative, either for my own safety, or for the welfare of others. Obviously, one always trains for the worst-case scenario, which is a situation where fighting is the only option. I try to avoid/prevent trouble to begin with, and when I do encounter it, either talk my way out of it, or make a swift escape (and taking anyone else who wants to go).

I can't see any piece of property being worth death or injury to me; one lucky shot or thrust of a knife is all it takes. I can always get new possessions, and probably need new ones anyway. I'll draw and shoot if someone is threatening me with imminent death, but I'm not going to go with guns blazing and try to save my laptop or sunglasses. They can have it.
    Last edited by toreskha; 02-26-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier View Post
    And had this guy not made racist comments on television afterwards it would have helped our cause more so.
    I must have missed that. I haven't heard of anything since the original story came out other than they still haven't filed any charges. Do you have a link I'd like to see what he said. Thanks...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

7. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I must have missed that. I haven't heard of anything since the original story came out other than they still haven't filed any charges. Do you have a link I'd like to see what he said. Thanks...
    I can't seem to find it right now. Perhaps I was mistaken. Watch this video. The poster of it is a moron, but its the full police recording. You can find a LOT of stuff about it if you google his name. As of mid December no charges filed. I am leaning a little towards Joe got a little trigger happy. Had he not called the police, or argued with him saying "I'm going to kill them", it would be different. I have no problem with what he did. But just fuel for the fire on the other side.
    Last edited by ArmySoldier; 02-27-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier View Post
    I can't seem to find it right now. Perhaps I was mistaken. Watch this video. The poster of it is a moron, but its the full police recording. You can find a LOT of stuff about it if you google his name. As of mid December no charges filed. I am leaning a little towards Joe got a little trigger happy. Had he not called the police, or argued with him saying "I'm going to kill them", it would be different. I have no problem with what he did. But just fuel for the fire on the other side.
    Mr. Horn did a good job and displayed some fine shooting ability in being able to eliminate both before they could either escape or launch an effective counterattack. His only mistake was that he said too much to the 911 operator.

Again, I wouldn't have done the same - not out of concern for the burglars, but for myself. Horn's actions as a neighbor are commendable, though. He shouldn't be arrested - he should be recognized as a citizen trying to make a positive difference.
    Last edited by toreskha; 02-27-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

9. Yes sir he is good to go with me too.

10. Quote Originally Posted by grizlybear45 View Post
    as for me i carry everday any and everywhere i go.

The comment:

"Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:
    'What do you feel when you shoot a Terrorist?'
    The Marine shrugged and replied,

'A slight recoil."

is great. I love it. But you do know that's it's B.S. I assume? That story has been circulating forever, probably even the civil war.

But it is funny!

11. Good topic Zelenka.

If nothing else, it's a good reminder to "count the cost" before using deadly force. In my state threat of death or substantial bodily harm must be imminent before it is lawful to use deadly force.

I carry all the time that I can do so legally. If, God forbid, I ever do have to use deadly force, it will be because there was simply no other choice. :sad2:

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast