It Starts With a Punch - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It Starts With a Punch

Situational awareness has been mentioned. Walking away has been mentioned. Never being somewhere you should not be in the first place (kind of like situational awareness and part of the Plaxico Burris rule--"if you needed a gun to go in there, why did you go in there in the first place?") has been mentioned. Imminent threat to death or great bodily injury is preeminent and has been mentioned. Then and only then does your firearm come out and it comes out to use it, not to brandish it or show it off, or fire at someone's hubcaps or fire in the air--it comes out to defend yourself and if you are trained well, it comes out to alter the lifestyle of the puncher.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Umm people have died from one punch clear sight
    Can you show statistics?

People have likely died from drowning in a bowl of soup. I'm not sure where you're from but justification in my state: So, would a reasonable person consider an unarmed battery (a punch) to fear death or great bodily harm? I wouldn't think so but maybe I'm unreasonable...

The killing is in self defense if:

1. There was an appearance of immediate danger of death or great bodily harm to the defendant as a result of __________________3; and

2. The defendant was in fact put in fear by the apparent danger of immediate death or great bodily harm and killed __________________ (name of victim) because of that fear; and

3. A reasonable person in the same circumstances as the defendant would have acted as the defendant did.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

4. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Never being somewhere you should not be in the first place (kind of like situational awareness and part of the Plaxico Burris rule--"if you needed a gun to go in there, why did you go in there in the first place?") has been mentioned.
    Because my favorite resteraunt happens to be in a non upscale part of town I should avoid going there? Just saying, I don't buy into that one, as in my opinion you need a gun to go anywhere...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Can you show statistics?
    Statistics no anecdotal evidence yes.

One Punch Murder At Giants Baseball Game

Homicide laws overhauled to remove wilful murder and address one-punch killings

Killed by one punch; Thug laughed after unprovoked street attack led to death of student and 'outstanding' sportsman. - Free Online Library

Clearly, it happens. The question is are you going to stand there and wait to see if you become the next statistic?

Common sense dictates that you don't shoot every one that squares up on you but common sense also dictates that you would avoid 90% of these problems by not trifling w/ people you don't know.

Maybe I live in a different world than you do but if somebody I don't know decides they want to get that involved in my life I take it seriously. For someone to go that crazy on you out of nowhere is not a rational act , you have no way of knowing what a person like that is capable of or what they are going to do.

Also I'm heading past middle age. My boxing years are long behind me I doubt very seriously I could hold my own against a pissed off 20 something and once he's got you down how do you know when he's going to decide you've had enough?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Statistics no anecdotal evidence yes.

One Punch Murder At Giants Baseball Game

Homicide laws overhauled to remove wilful murder and address one-punch killings

Killed by one punch; Thug laughed after unprovoked street attack led to death of student and 'outstanding' sportsman. - Free Online Library

Clearly, it happens. The question is are you going to stand there and wait to see if you become the next statistic?

Common sense dictates that you don't shoot every one that squares up on you but common sense also dictates that you would avoid 90% of these problems by not trifling w/ people you don't know.

Maybe I live in a different world than you do but if somebody I don't know decides they want to get that involved in my life I take it seriously. For someone to go that crazy on you out of nowhere is not a rational act , you have no way of knowing what a person like that is capable of or what they are going to do.

Also I'm heading past middle age. My boxing years are long behind me I doubt very seriously I could hold my own against a pissed off 20 something and once he's got you down how do you know when he's going to decide you've had enough?
    I concede on the "one punch" killing joke. Apparently it is more preveleant than I thought.

I guess I have a different outlook, I deal with pissed off fools that want to fight every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    I concede on the "one punch" killing joke. Apparently it is more preveleant than I thought.

I guess I have a different outlook, I deal with pissed off fools that want to fight every day.
    Wierd thing is, there just don't seem to be "fist fights" anymore. No, no stats, but how many times have you seen, heard, read, where someone gets punched, goes down, and then gets stomped? Had a guy here in recent years get his head kicked so bad there was brain matter splattered on cars in the parking lot. He died. The "kid" who did it was an innocuous-looking little runt, who was a freakin' nursing student at the U. Go figure.

Or the weapons come out (knives, clubs, guns, etc.). IMO, the old concept of an "honorable" fist fight being used to settle a difference between men is going and gone. One reason why I will allow no one to punch me.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Assuming you can protect yourself unarmed, I can, assuming you carry, I do, assuming you can avoid the encounter, I will try, the response should be use no more force than is necessay to end the encounter.

Hey Clear: My reference to Plaxico Burris obviously deals more with the specific places you go to and not necessarily the neighborhood, although I would think that if your favorite is in a bad neighborhood, your situational awareness level will be a higher degree of sensitivity than elsewhere. When you decide to walk into some sort of bar that has a history of violence, common sense tells me that you should not be going there and if you do, and find it necessary to CC (legal or not), then I would question your sensibilities, like the NFL did with Mr. Burris.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Clear: My reference to Plaxico Burris obviously deals more with the specific places you go to and not necessarily the neighborhood, although I would think that if your favorite is in a bad neighborhood, your situational awareness level will be a higher degree of sensitivity than elsewhere. When you decide to walk into some sort of bar that has a history of violence, common sense tells me that you should not be going there and if you do, and find it necessary to CC (legal or not), then I would question your sensibilities, like the NFL did with Mr. Burris.

+1
    AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Them places you should avoid are like that because people like us avoid them.

The crimial elements should not be allowed to control any place.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast