It Starts With a Punch - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: It Starts With a Punch

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    NC law states that simple assault is not grounds for using deadly force. Also it is your duty to attempt to run away unless you are at your home. A macho ego will land you in prison.
    I have a brown belt in the martial art of Aikido. The best technique I was taught was; Sensing trouble before it starts and avoiding it altogether. When used properly that technique never fails!
    Simple assault is a threat of bodily harm.

Once that person moves to carry out that threat it becomes assault ( attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger.). He does not have to hit you first. If someone points a gun at you, do you wait for him to pull the trigger first? Same thing.

As a brown belt in martial arts, you should know how deadly a fist can be. Even just a lucky punch from some average joe.

If the punch just knocked you down, you hit your head on the concrete or something, it could kill you.

If the punch knocked you out, then the guy can do what ever he wants, you can't defend yourself.

No rules in a fight! Winner lives!
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post

Once that person moves to carry out that threat it becomes assault ( attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger.). He does not have to hit you first. If someone points a gun at you, do you wait for him to pull the trigger first? Same thing.

As a brown belt in martial arts, you should know how deadly a fist can be. Even just a lucky punch from some average joe.

If the punch just knocked you down, you hit your head on the concrete or something, it could kill you.

If the punch knocked you out, then the guy can do what ever he wants, you can't defend yourself.

No rules in a fight! Winner lives!
    If spending the rest of your life in an 8' X 10' cell as Bubba's girlfriend can be considered living.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    If spending the rest of your life in an 8' X 10' cell as Bubba's girlfriend can be considered living.
    That is true!

That is why we go through this stuff here. Hopefully , by listening to us bicker over these types of situation you will have made that decision before it happens.

That is all part of mindset.

Just because I say I will do This or that, does not mean my mind can't be changed by something someone says on here. That is why I argue my point and they argue theirs, it makes us think, and we can make our decision.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    In some jurisdictions. More commonly though, actual battery must take place for assault to have oocurred. The midway position is normally classified as harassment.

But this is all academic. The real point to this thread is exposing the attitude of fear and agression that predisposes so many to resort to aggravated assault at the drop of a pin - or a punch - or a fit of insane rage induced by anger issues brough on by a lifetime of feeling inadequate. For whatever reason the particular loser in question feels compelled to walk about just waiting for some opportunity, no matter how trivial, to shoot someone. They will rationalize in their sick mind how this all went down.

While Bubba has his way...

And they graduate to hardened criminal status.

Here in PRMA you would be going to jail!

Honestly, I would walk away in that situation. If I am out with my wife and trying to have a good time, I would avoid the situation entirely. Now, granted there are situations you can't avoid, I have been in them. However, when I am carrying, I would do ANYTHING to avoid a physical altercation.

I have walked away many times in my life from a fight. I have also been in numerous fights. I am a big guy, 6'4 300lbs and can take care of myself. I have a black belt in martial arts and currently study a different style. Call me what you want (whimp, pansy, etc etc), takes a bigger person to avoid the fight all together and walk away. While you have no duty to retreat there, avoiding the situation altogether IMHO would be your smartest move.

-Capo-
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    How do we get off on the unprovoked assault tangent? Gang initiation, parking lot fiascos, street crime yada, yada?

That is not what this thread was about. The subject was an argument between two people escalating to deadly force.

When was the last time you had an argument with a mugger? Trying to persuade him not to mug you? Or a street gang confrontation? Lots of discussion going on there, I'm sure.

Some of you people need to peek outside that fear-driven fantasy world of yours and get real for cryin' out loud.
    To quote the OP...
    Take this example:

Your at dinner with you friends, wife, girlfriend, mistress () or whom ever. For some reason or another a man verbally insults you, or is extremely rude. You correct him politely, stating you want no trouble and wish to remain in peace. Being in a public place, (in Alabama) you have NO duty to retreat.

The guy won't back down, he is determined to piss you off further, and cause a ruckus. You politely remind him that you are here merely to enjoy your meal. You don't instigate at all, but merely inform the person of your right to be there, maybe you throw in that you have the right to defend yourself should unlawful force be used against you. He doesn't buy your attempt to play the street lawyer and he finally has enough and throws a punch.
    That is pretty much an unprovoked attack....not an "escalated argument"...

Corrections made for your edification:
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    To quote the OP...

That is pretty much an unprovoked verbal attack... which equals an "escalated argument"...
    When the op "politely corrects" him.

Just FYI. All the imaginary stuff aside.

Corrections made for your edification:

When the op "politely corrects" him.

Just FYI. All the imaginary stuff aside.
    It's not verbal if he throws a punch, as stated.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

edsworld:

You wouldn't be a member of the at-risk community as an infirm or crippled senior, would you?

Just curious where the attitude comes from:
    Based upon all his other posts Cocked And Locked....Edsworld acts as though he was bullied A LOT as a kid and is looking for payback now. His cojones and his ego are duct taped to his pistol. Without it...he is like a chihuahua in a world full of pitbulls. He may yap, and he may try to nip...but in the end...he will be the guy on top of a tall building with a rifle and a stiffy he just can't get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    here in prma you would be going to jail!

Honestly, i would walk away in that situation. If i am out with my wife and trying to have a good time, i would avoid the situation entirely. Now, granted there are situations you can't avoid, i have been in them. However, when i am carrying, i would do anything to avoid a physical altercation.

I have walked away many times in my life from a fight. I have also been in numerous fights. I am a big guy, 6'4 300lbs and can take care of myself. I have a black belt in martial arts and currently study a different style. Call me what you want (whimp, pansy, etc etc), takes a bigger person to avoid the fight all together and walk away. While you have no duty to retreat there, avoiding the situation altogether imho would be your smartest move.

-capo-
    amen!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast