Your Input - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Input

I think the scary thing these days is that the legal system has been able to look past facts, or facts shrouded in emotionally charged details. Mr Aitken of New Jersey is the perfect example of this. Most (gun) laws have an "unknowingly" clause, if I may call it that. He was unaware of the state laws regarding hollowpoint ammunition and the 15 round magazine limit. Otherwise, he followed the state laws that he was aware of, courtesy of the New Jersekstan state police website. However, even with a NRA endorsed lawyer, he was sent to jail for 7 years for 2 counts of unlawful posession of a handgun. The judge disallowed information about the law to the jury, as well as disallowing Mr Aitken to be considered under an "exemption" to the laws. The New Jersekstan legal system is so corrupt that they don't need what I will consider "emotionally charged" issues that are mentioned above.

Fortunately, not all states are this bad, but some days it seems easier to hit the lottery than have a legal leg to stand on!

Modifications that will not cause legal problems,
    Accuracy work, new or different sites, change of grips, checkering or stippling of frame, forward serrartions on the slide, porting, chamfering cylinders, throating feedramps, improving function of safety, finishes, control upgrades, magwells, ... this is not a complete list

Modifications not to do on a carry gun,
    Deactivation of any safety mechanism, making the trigger pull too light, making the grips too smooth, using handloads, rendering a firearm non-dropsafe, this is a real short list. If it is not on this list, I would not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Modifications that will not cause legal problems,
    Accuracy work, new or different sites, change of grips, checkering or stippling of frame, forward serrartions on the slide, porting, chamfering cylinders, throating feedramps, improving function of safety, finishes, control upgrades, magwells, ... this is not a complete list

Modifications not to do on a carry gun,
    Deactivation of any safety mechanism, making the trigger pull too light, making the grips too smooth, using handloads, rendering a firearm non-dropsafe, this is a real short list. If it is not on this list, I would not worry about it.
    Please show ACTUAL court precedence/proof or verify that this is ONLY YOUR OPINION...

Change "gun" modifications to "car" modification and see if it would fly.....

Judge... this defendant put an aftermarket carburetor on his car (or whatever mods you do), so that makes him MORE guilty of driving over the speed limit......
    NOT gonna happen.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12