when is it legal to draw? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: when is it legal to draw?

Kelcarry is correct! The question is best answered by the answer to the question everyone asks when taking a class for the first time or talking to someone who "carries" "When is it OK to shoot someone?" That is when it is ok to draw your gun.
    If you end up not shooting someone by lucky circumstance then at least two people had a very lucky day.
    So as someone else posted..you draw your gun with the intention of not shooting and you end up scaring the bad guy off. In that case you better dial 911 and report the incident before the innocent BG beats you to it and tells how you threatened him just because he asked you for the time or he was picking flowers for his mother in the garden.
    I think you get what I am saying!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Kelcarry is correct! The question is best answered by the answer to the question everyone asks when taking a class for the first time or talking to someone who "carries" "When is it OK to shoot someone?" That is when it is ok to draw your gun.
    If you end up not shooting someone by lucky circumstance then at least two people had a very lucky day.
    So as someone else posted..you draw your gun with the intention of not shooting and you end up scaring the bad guy off. In that case you better dial 911 and report the incident before the innocent BG beats you to it and tells how you threatened him just because he asked you for the time or he was picking flowers for his mother in the garden.
    I think you get what I am saying
    !
    I think I would know if somebody is likely gonna cause me potential harm "not an innocent BG", and me actually pulling out my gun or showing it in my holster are 2 totally different things. Gun in my holster is not illegal, and I will gladly take my chances with law enforcment in either circumstance.......many criminals are spineless, that is why they do what they do. It is going to take a whole lot for me to actually draw my gun, and I dread the day if it were to ever happen to me or the perp. If the word of a person who more than likely has some kind of a record takes presedence over mine.....then I think I will eventually move out of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Pokey: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year that does not cause you a moment to show any intent per this thread. God Bless brother.
    Merry Christmas and God Bless you too.......I love SC, really hoping to take a moto trip down there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    I think I would know if somebody is likely gonna cause me potential harm "not an innocent BG", and me actually pulling out my gun or showing it in my holster are 2 totally different things. Gun in my holster is not illegal, and I will gladly take my chances with law enforcment in either circumstance.......many criminals are spineless, that is why they do what they do. It is going to take a whole lot for me to actually draw my gun, and I dread the day if it were to ever happen to me or the perp. If the word of a person who more than likely has some kind of a record takes presedence over mine.....then I think I will eventually move out of this country.
    I think you missed my point entirely. As per my class for Mass LTC if you even print or your gun is accidentally exposed you could face charges of brandishing! Now as far as taking your word or that of someone who has a record keep in mind that past crime record of an individual in court is rarely admissible. Be governed accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I think you missed my point entirely. As per my class for Mass LTC if you even print or your gun is accidentally exposed you could face charges of brandishing! Now as far as taking your word or that of someone who has a record keep in mind that past crime record of an individual in court is rarely admissible. Be governed accordingly!
    Thanks for the insight and good advice, I guess many of us never know what will happen, until it happens. Pretty sad how our judicial system works allot of the time, seems all too often that many innocent folks get the short end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    Thanks for the insight and good advice, I guess many of us never know what will happen, until it happens. Pretty sad how our judicial system works allot of the time, seems all too often that many innocent folks get the short end of the stick.
    Apparently, you Sir are a gentleman! I won't let it get around and spoil any reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by fisher2 View Post
    it seems we talk about when to fire around here but you can get in trouble for brandishing when it it justified to just draw? what threats need to show up ?
    I'm not aware of any laws that specify when it's legal to "bring a gun out" when it's done in a manner consistent with protection of self or others.

There is a difference between "negligent" use of a firearm (brandishing) and deploying it in a responsible manner for defense if/when you believe you are in imminent danger of great bodily harm or death.

Hey Shooter: Your comments make sense but the only problem is that if you are in that imminent death or great bodily injury situation, showing your firearm will just get you killed. It sure is a last mini-second terrible decision and I understand what you have said, but it just seems to me that you are going to discharge your firearm when you bring it out and point it at someone, if you think that you are about to die. Your comment is good for this forum and is understandable but is, IMO, an impossible situation that does becomes brandishing. Showing your holstered firearm in some sort of casual manner strikes me as being closer to your comment, but that is a step below imminent death or injury--more like a real sense of danger that does not rise to seeing the perp's firearm or knife, or interpreting the words of a group of sleazy looking people who are advancing on you (who you can run away from as the best alternative). I guess this always will come down to your last second decision that is frought with extreme stress and you gotta do what you gotta do.

My first CCW instructor, lo those many years ago, made a point of saying that while you have to be prepared to use it if you need to, just because your weapon clears the holster does NOT mean you have to use it.

If someone is, say, advancing on me with a baseball bat, I consider myself in grave danger. Should I just draw and shoot them? Not if I have time to yank my weapon and gain a little distance. I might be screaming, as that old CCW instructor did, to "STOP" as I draw to the ready position. If the BG advances to the redline, well...If the BG stops, turns around or otherwise lessens his threat, then the threat has been stopped and I'll re-holster when I feel safe. Best outcome for both of us.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

11. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I see no problem with "exposing" your piece if the intention is to stop bad things from happening. Sweeping your jacket aside to give a BG the opportunity to make a different decision is not "brandishing", IMO. In fact, I think it's a smart move to head off what could be very dire consequences (for all concerned). If I draw, it would be with the intent to use it, altho, time permitting, I might draw to the "ready" position, and give the BG yet another opportunity to come to his senses. Hope to high heaven it nevers comes to this.
    I think that's a very good point. Just letting the BG know that "hey, I'm carrying" it can avoid a whole mess of trouble

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast