when is it legal to draw? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 74

Thread: when is it legal to draw?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    I agree with your reply JJ. Trouble with all of this is writing it on this forum is the easy part--you never make a mistake.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaNinja View Post
    I think that's a very good point. Just letting the BG know that "hey, I'm carrying" it can avoid a whole mess of trouble
    Which is one of the basic arguments for...wait for it...open carry. (Oh, man, opened that can of worms, again...)
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  4. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Which is one of the basic arguments for...wait for it...open carry. (Oh, man, opened that can of worms, again...)
    haha..yeah exactly. I think if everyone was just able to carry on their hip there would be alot less crimes. During the act of a crime generally they are more under control once the cops show up..why? respect? no, because their armed. If a guy goes in to rob a bank and everyone else is armed, he's outnumbered. Basically, if everyone's packing, no one's packing.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Hey JJ and Benja: Might as well wish for peace and love in the world. My profound statement on the forthcoming eve of Chrstmas--"this world would be a nice place to live if people were not on it". Best to my fellow forum members. God bless, Merry Xmas, and a Happy and Healthy New Year when we just write all this "stuff" and never have to act on any of it.

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey JJ and Benja: Might as well wish for peace and love in the world. My profound statement on the forthcoming eve of Chrstmas--"this world would be a nice place to live if people were not on it". Best to my fellow forum members. God bless, Merry Xmas, and a Happy and Healthy New Year when we just write all this "stuff" and never have to act on any of it.
    Amen to that. Merry Christmas to you, KC. And to you B.Ninja.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Which is one of the basic arguments for...wait for it...open carry. (Oh, man, opened that can of worms, again...)
    Oh great here we go...

    And to add to the entire fray, If you do have to draw it (not on paper) and the attempted assault is avoided, be the first one to call it in and make the statement to the police that you felt threatened and you showed your firearm and the threat ceased.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  8. #37
    I am getting in on this thread late but reading through it there have been some good points made. One is the definition of brandishing and if you feel that you are in danger then you are not brandishing. At the same time pulling your coat back to show your gun whether or not you pull it out of the holster is brandishing. Yup, that is confusing and almost contradictory.

    Look at it this way. You never pull your gun to scare someone, good guy or bad. You pull it to defend yourself. Just because you pull your gun does not mean you have to pull the trigger. A BG is approaching you and you feel that you are definitely in danger. First you are going to have to pull your coat, shirt, or whatever back, assuming that you are not OC or that your gun is not in the open. Second you are going to have to pull your gun from the holster and then you can pull the trigger. If the BG changes his mind during any of those steps then you don't have to complete the sequence. At no time during all of this are you brandishing your weapon.

    If you are not in reasonable danger or want to be sure the tough looking thugs know that you mean business and they have not made any move toward you then any of those actions including just pulling your coat back is brandishing. You pull into a parking lot and there are some rough looking fellows that you have to walk by to get to your destination. They don't even notice you but you want to be sure so you expose your weapon in a manner to be sure they see it. Yes that is brandishing. However you try to ignore them but as you walk by they start making comments and one moves to block your path. You are no longer in the brandishing stage.

    But to the OP if you are looking for some law or exact definition of when it is legal to pull your pistol you won't find it other than immediate and grave danger. Remember you never pull or show your weapon just to try and scare someone. Just like you never shoot just to wound. You shoot to stop the threat and you pull your gun to stop the threat. Nothing less.

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am getting in on this thread late but reading through it there have been some good points made. One is the definition of brandishing and if you feel that you are in danger then you are not brandishing. At the same time pulling your coat back to show your gun whether or not you pull it out of the holster is brandishing. Yup, that is confusing and almost contradictory.

    Look at it this way. You never pull your gun to scare someone, good guy or bad. You pull it to defend yourself. Just because you pull your gun does not mean you have to pull the trigger. A BG is approaching you and you feel that you are definitely in danger. First you are going to have to pull your coat, shirt, or whatever back, assuming that you are not OC or that your gun is not in the open. Second you are going to have to pull your gun from the holster and then you can pull the trigger. If the BG changes his mind during any of those steps then you don't have to complete the sequence. At no time during all of this are you brandishing your weapon.

    If you are not in reasonable danger or want to be sure the tough looking thugs know that you mean business and they have not made any move toward you then any of those actions including just pulling your coat back is brandishing. You pull into a parking lot and there are some rough looking fellows that you have to walk by to get to your destination. They don't even notice you but you want to be sure so you expose your weapon in a manner to be sure they see it. Yes that is brandishing. However you try to ignore them but as you walk by they start making comments and one moves to block your path. You are no longer in the brandishing stage.

    But to the OP if you are looking for some law or exact definition of when it is legal to pull your pistol you won't find it other than immediate and grave danger. Remember you never pull or show your weapon just to try and scare someone. Just like you never shoot just to wound. You shoot to stop the threat and you pull your gun to stop the threat. Nothing less.
    I agree with most of your points, FN1910, however, a couple clarifications, at least as far as I'm concerned. Agreed that displaying your weapon just to walk past people who are paying you no attention is probably brandishing and is a good way to get a "man with a gun" called in. OTOH, if some thug is coming around my car and signalling very ill intent, I'd probably move to keep the barrier between us, open my jacket and growl that they've got the wrong guy. Hopefully, that turns 'em around.

    As far as the the time during your draw and shoot giving the BG time to reconsider, that won't work for me. I know, for a fact (been tested on it many times) that I can draw from a concealed carry and plant a controlled pair to the thorasic cavity in less than 1.5 seconds. The BG better reconsider damn quick.

    Merry Christmas to you!
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I agree with most of your points, FN1910, however, a couple clarifications, at least as far as I'm concerned. Agreed that displaying your weapon just to walk past people who are paying you no attention is probably brandishing and is a good way to get a "man with a gun" called in. OTOH, if some thug is coming around my car and signalling very ill intent, I'd probably move to keep the barrier between us, open my jacket and growl that they've got the wrong guy. Hopefully, that turns 'em around.

    As far as the the time during your draw and shoot giving the BG time to reconsider, that won't work for me. I know, for a fact (been tested on it many times) that I can draw from a concealed carry and plant a controlled pair to the thorasic cavity in less than 1.5 seconds. The BG better reconsider damn quick.

    Merry Christmas to you!
    +1 I'm not inclined to wait for the BG to display his "Bad Guy Badge"..

    Now that is a product I'd like to see take off...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  11. #40
    OTOH, if some thug is coming around my car and signalling very ill intent, I'd probably move to keep the barrier between us, open my jacket and growl that they've got the wrong guy. Hopefully, that turns 'em around.
    Exactly my point, a lot of difference between the two of not paying any attention and making a threatening move.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Open carry legal in Michigan
    By venator in forum Michigan Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
  2. Disarm and Shoot legal question
    By infntrysuicdekng in forum Handgun Tactics, Training, and Practice
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM
  3. Arizona Illegals Already Appear to be Exiting
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
  4. JOE LEGAL vs. JOSE ILLEGAL
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
  5. Joe legal VS Jose Illegal...
    By Sheldon in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast