when is it legal to draw? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: when is it legal to draw?

I would imagine there is more to the story about the tow truck driver than in your post but it does make a good point about threatening someone with a gun whether you pull it out or not. This demonstrates my point that brandishing, no matter what you definition or the legal definition is, does not have to include waving the gun around. I would think that the tow truck driver is not off the hook quite yet and as you say the civil suits are sure to come. It sounds like either two hot heads playing with guns trying to show each other who has the biggest gun with a tragic ending. Absolutely no reason for this to happen.

Hey FN: The story is on the front page on the Island Packet newspaper of Hilton Head. The only thing I did not say was 1. The car was parked on another street and not in front of brother's house--someone may have complained or called in a complaint and 2. The car owner was shot multiple times--I tend to think that either the tow truck guy is nuts or the car owner, after the first shot, did reach for his gun at that point. In any event I intend to peruse the Island Packet over the next week or so. I think the final police investigation and conclusion is important if, as many have replied on this thread, showing your firearm has very differing opinions from--it can stop a problem to, as in this case, stop you. I think their conclusion may come down to believing the brother, who supposedly witnessed all, apparently in front of his house, or the tow truck guy. Trying to understand how all this happened at the brother's house when the car and the boot etc were on another street.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey FN: The story is on the front page on the Island Packet newspaper of Hilton Head. The only thing I did not say was 1. The car was parked on another street and not in front of brother's house--someone may have complained or called in a complaint and 2. The car owner was shot multiple times--I tend to think that either the tow truck guy is nuts or the car owner, after the first shot, did reach for his gun at that point. In any event I intend to peruse the Island Packet over the next week or so. I think the final police investigation and conclusion is important if, as many have replied on this thread, showing your firearm has very differing opinions from--it can stop a problem to, as in this case, stop you. I think their conclusion may come down to believing the brother, who supposedly witnessed all, apparently in front of his house, or the tow truck guy. Trying to understand how all this happened at the brother's house when the car and the boot etc were on another street.
    Here is one report on the incident and it sounds to me like the tow truck driver is nuts but I will wait on more info before hanging him.

Authorities: Tow-truck driver shoots, kills man after dispute over booted minivan | islandpacket.com

Not reason enough to kill a man, but boy was that stupid.

Nelson Olivera said his brother showed Oates a handgun tucked in the waistband of his pants "to scare him"
    In NYS, if a person displays a weapon with the intent to "scare" another person, meaning to "scare them into thinking their life might be in danger" the other person can shoot the idiot.

"Hey buddy, look I have gun and I can kill you if I want to"

"Oh yeah, I have a gun too, and the law is on my side..Bang Bang."

I'm not saying that is the way it happened, but displaying a weapon to "scare" another person is stupid.

Latest on the Bluffton brandishing/shooting per my previous reply. The authorities have arrested the tow truck guy for manslaughter and possession of firearm in commission of crime (kind of redundant isn't it). Tow truck guy shot the car guy 6 times, the last 5 according to the brother who witnessed it, "execution style". Tow truck guy is not squeeky clean--several problems with violence, guns etc. Like the Las Vegas case on another thread, time to let authorities come up with course of action etc although the blog at the paper (Island Packet of Hilton Head) have lots of emotional comments. If nothing else, this is a classic case where "brandishing" (the car guy showed his firearm before anything else happened and never fired his firearm) can have a very very bad consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Not reason enough to kill a man, but boy was that stupid.

In NYS, if a person displays a weapon with the intent to "scare" another person, meaning to "scare them into thinking their life might be in danger" the other person can shoot the idiot.

"Hey buddy, look I have gun and I can kill you if I want to"

"Oh yeah, I have a gun too, and the law is on my side..Bang Bang."

I'm not saying that is the way it happened, but displaying a weapon to "scare" another person is stupid.
    Disagree. See my prior posts. All in how it's done, I suppose. I will agree that opening your jacket to show a weapon tucked in your pants smacks of thuggery to me. If, however, I show you my weapon, you can bet it's not a "mexican carry" but properly holstered. More importantly, at that point, I am in position to draw it and use it if I have to. Called "training".
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

More on the Bluffton case. The tow guy shot him once in the front (first shot), 4 times in the back and once in the head and then smiled to the family and said "Feliz Navidad". You brandish a firearm, you had better be prepared to use it right then and there. You can meet up with a nut job like this tow guy and die. Good chance the car guy would still be alive if he had never shown his firearm, even though the tow guy has had previous violence/firearm problems in the past. Sure has the sound of hate written all over it.

Can you defend youself, yes, should you flash your weapon, no, if it is necessary to use the weapon day or night, make sure the laws of your state give you some portection, use 911 first every time that you can, there is never a cause in my book to flash/expose the weapon, if you wish to continue the assualt, you will see the flash of my weapon. Avoiding the problem in the first place is a better option.

Leave it in your holster until you become convinced that, immediately or in a few seconds, you'll really NEED a gun in your hand.

Then don't worry about it--just shoot if required. And fire for effect.
    - enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Leave it in your holster until you become convinced that, immediately or in a few seconds, you'll really NEED a gun in your hand.

Then don't worry about it--just shoot if required. And fire for effect.
    And hope to hell you're fast enough and good enough to protect yourself.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast