when is it legal to draw? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: when is it legal to draw?

Hey JJ: Understand what you have to say in last replies but I stand with enfield on this one. You either are in imminent danger or you are not and if you are brandishing you honestly are not in imminent danger. You may be trained but the other guy may be better trained; you are playing a deadly game by thinking you are better than him, that he is as sane as you, and that by showing you are deflating the potential confrontation. Still, I get your point--just sayin. Let us all have a Happy and Healthy New Year with no brandishing and no confrontations and only the interesting interractions on this forum. Peace brother and God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey JJ: Understand what you have to say in last replies but I stand with enfield on this one. You either are in imminent danger or you are not and if you are brandishing you honestly are not in imminent danger. You may be trained but the other guy may be better trained; you are playing a deadly game by thinking you are better than him, that he is as sane as you, and that by showing you are deflating the potential confrontation. Still, I get your point--just sayin. Let us all have a Happy and Healthy New Year with no brandishing and no confrontations and only the interesting interractions on this forum. Peace brother and God Bless.
    Apparently, there seems to be 2 schools of thought, here. One says you recognize a serious threat and take concerted effort to head it off by, among other things, letting the BG know you are armed, well before it is a life or death situation. The other seems to be to wait until you are under attack and then draw and shoot.

I'm very well trained, can quickly draw and shoot accurately but I'll take school No. 1 every time. IMO, waiting until it's life/death is unnecessary (assuming it can be avoided) and potentially very unhealthy.

Every one is free to do as they choose (the glory of personal choice and freedom).

Peace and a Happy New Year to you, too, KC.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    We talk about brandishing on this thread as a potential way to minimize a problem--here is a case where brandishing can also get you killed.
    I suppose that's one of the not-so-funny things about CONCEALED carry: You never know who else might be packing, do you?

Hey C&L: You are correct on last reply. Personally, I do not think that JJ and I are really disagreeing on anything--it is more a question of when your radar is telling you there is a significant risk. If I should feel it (and thank God I never have), I will draw with the intent to fire and do so without a thought about brandishing. That mini-second can be a very big difference in your life--that is for sure. I am fortunate that I live in what I consider to be a very secure and safe area and firmly believe in situational awareness and never putting myself in a scenario that could endanger myself. Quite frankly, my one and only concern for CC/brandishing is a situation that, in SC, I legally cannot CC; leaving a restaurant that serves liquor and walking to my parked car at night--cannot carry into that establishment--ie: cannot have the firearm on me when I leave, unless I want to risk the penalties, which involve many thousands of dollars and several years in jail, which thankfully, is up to judge, who may minimize based on the situation--still leaves you with civil problems. Hope the new year brings you health, happiness and prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    I suppose that's one of the not-so-funny things about CONCEALED carry: You never know who else might be packing, do you?
    In the case of the tow truck driver he went back to his truck to retrieve his gun. He wasn't actually packing until he saw the other fellow had one.

Shall we now argue about the definition of "packing?"

Funny, the guy who wasn't "packing" is still alive.

Kinda makes you wonder about some of the people who really are "packing" sometimes.

JSDinTexas Guest
    There are only three instances when I will unholster my firearm: to fire it, or to clean it, or to put it under my pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Shall we now argue about the definition of "packing?"

Funny, the guy who wasn't "packing" is still alive.

Kinda makes you wonder about some of the people who really are "packing" sometimes.
    Might as well argue about that definition we argue about every other word in the dictionary. As I always have at least one gun in my vehicle I don't consider someone to be "packing" unless it is on their body.

Lost in all the excitement about the tow truck driver shooting is this little gem. It was abusy night in Bluffton.

Bluffton man accidentally shoots himself after hearing gunfire outside | islandpacket.com

Minutes after a Bluffton man was fatally shot six times near 408 Live Oak Walk in Edgefield on Christmas Eve, emergency crews responded to a report of a gunshot victim on the same street, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office report.

A 71-year-old man, apparently alarmed at the sound of gunshots outside his Live Oak Walk home, went to retrieve a shotgun and a pistol from his bedroom, according to the report.

The man told deputies he returned to the living room and sat back down in his chair to watch TV, holding the pistol in his right hand, when it discharged, wounding him in his upper left leg, according to the report.

I guess he was in the process of starting to pack.....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast