Duty to retreat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duty to retreat?

1. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post

Call me a coward but if I were in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm I would RUN LIKE HELL (IF POSSIBLE)
    Thanks for the responses, just feeling the water of fellow site users. Of course everything would be very dependent on the situation. As DOC said you may be risking your life further by trying to run- no way in hell i'd turn my back on an attacker armed with a firearm..

Just saying as a general rule if I can run away I will- wanted to see if others had the same philosophy.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Depends on the circumstances.

If my wife and kids are in bed or unable to retreat, you can bet I'm gonna stand my ground.

If no other good reason to stand my ground, I'm going to retreat if possible. The old saying "Desecration is the better point of valor." still holds true. Besides, being shot HURTS!!!

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    If I have an out.....I am gonna take it, otherwise my ground will be stood "for sure".
    I agree with Pokey and hope there is a way out. I have a problem in that I am not physically able to run away. I don't want to hurt anyone but carry a gun for the protection of myself and family. If all else fails, I see no recourse other than to use the gun. Without a doubt, in today's society, there will be ramifications but my family will be alive. I am not a "Dirty Harry" but neither am I a "Barney Fife." I am somewhere comfortably in-between and, without hesitation, will shoot some BG who didn't know to leave well enough alone.

5. Greetings. I'm new on this forum, so I hope this is appropriate. Although I've been shooting for more than 40 years, a 3 year stint in the US Army with a whole lot of shooting, I'd run if at all possible. I've only had a CCW a little less than a year, and I do carry concealed.
    I also have no doubt that I would defend myself if absolutely necessary.
    I worry about younger people who have never seen real blood and guts, and what bullets can do to the human body.
    All in my opinion of course.
    Again, no offense to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    Greetings. I'm new on this forum, so I hope this is appropriate. Although I've been shooting for more than 40 years, a 3 year stint in the US Army with a whole lot of shooting, I'd run if at all possible. I've only had a CCW a little less than a year, and I do carry concealed.
    I also have no doubt that I would defend myself if absolutely necessary.
    I worry about younger people who have never seen real blood and guts, and what bullets can do to the human body. All in my opinion of course.
    Again, no offense to anyone.
    I am with you on that and I too am concerned about the ones who have seen too much TV where with the good guys it seems to always be only a wound or in the video games where all you have to do is hit the reset button and start over. There was a case here locally where three young boys decided to act out a video game by killing a man and stuffing him in the walls of an abandoned building. Not every gamer will act out on what they play but enough do to be concerned about it.

Where I live (SD) if someone is in your house at 2 am, he is already committing a felony, as such you are free to ventilate the perp. And as I have said before more of you need to push for an assumption of risk statute in your state.

In my case if the perp is in my house at 2 am (thus committing a felony)
    I am free to terminate his chosen career. If the perps family attempts to sue me for terminating their "special" child they will end up with nothing but paying my legal bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I agree with Pokey and hope there is a way out. I have a problem in that I am not physically able to run away. I don't want to hurt anyone but carry a gun for the protection of myself and family. If all else fails, I see no recourse other than to use the gun. Without a doubt, in today's society, there will be ramifications but my family will be alive. I am not a "Dirty Harry" but neither am I a "Barney Fife." I am somewhere comfortably in-between and, without hesitation, will shoot some BG who didn't know to leave well enough alone.
    +1
    I can't run and I can't fight, so I'll shoot if I don't have a viable alternative.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Nice theory, assuming you'd have the luxury of contemplating the threat, risk factor, alternatives, yada yada. Twice I have put my hand on my pistol when I thought I was in immediate danger. Neither time did I draw it. It was a reflex, not something I had any time to consider. One time I was being approached by a dangerous looking person with his hand inside his jacket CLEARLY contemplating drawing a gun, OR attempting to intimidate me by creating the illusion that he was about to draw a non existing gun, at which point I leveled an unloaded 12 Ga. out my car window causing him to retreat and I made an escape.

I think that most of my real world gun skills come from martial arts training and not from gun training except of course for operating them. It was when I realized I was getting too old to be a serious threat with open hand I began carrying. Work smarter, not harder I always say.

That's not to say I can't still handle myself. The last time I had to get physical I was protecting a woman from a relative going mid evil on her. All I was thinking was to eliminate the threat, but I already had the guy in an arm lock and by the back of the neck, and off balance. It was instinctive to keep him off balance until I could think of how to neutralize his hostility, and I wound up spinning him completely around in a big circle twice when I spotted the bathroom door which I KNEW was always left ajar. My mind said "Throw him through the door and slam it shut and hold him locked in there til he cools down. Of course... it had to be the ONE time that door was shut and latched, and the guys nose exploded like a ripe tomato when his face hit the door. Somehow I ended up being the bad guy.

I contend there's no answer to the question posed and you can contemplate your actions til eternity but will never know til the time comes.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I contend there's no answer to the question posed and you can contemplate your actions til eternity but will never know til the time comes.
    +1

I agree completely and anyone who says different is full of horse hockey.

Yes. So many variables. Living in a weak castle doctrine state (for now, welcoming a gun-friendly governor in 2011), I hear about family members of drug thugs suing police departments because their loved one, who shot and killed a police officer (Patrick McDonald), was himself shot and killed by the officer's partner. But that was Philadelphia, where the media views castle doctrine as "Shoot first, ask questions later," which is about as far from the truth as you get. What the media will do to scare the populace...

Recently, my local pharmacy was robbed, with "bad guy" wielding a handgun. I have no local police force, which the bad guys are also aware of. Kind of like those annoying and dangerous "Guns prohibited" signs. Nothing like inviting trouble...

I think through the scenario: What if I was one of the people there who were told to lay down on the floor and gunpoint? Do I shoot? Legally, even in Pennsylvania, that would be considered mortal danger. But I may not have a good shot at him before he has one at me. And his family members, who would probably say it was not his fault because if his addiction disease (he stole opiate medication) and civilly sue me for stopping their circumstantial "loved one." I doubt I would see the firearm I was carrying for a long time, if at all. Is some trial lawyer going to say I refused to retreat? We are not always in situations where we can rely on witnesses to back up our actions. No one was injured, so it is a scenario that raises many quiestions beyond what I mentioned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast