Duty to retreat? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duty to retreat?

1. Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    Nice theory, assuming you'd have the luxury of contemplating the threat, risk factor, alternatives, yada yada.
    Not to start an argument but you'd better hope you took those factors into account. It is possible and expected of you to determine the above factors, process them, and act appropriately and within the law.

Having been in several high stress altercations in a professional capacity I can assure you it is entirely possible to Evaluate. Weigh. Determine, Act in under a second.

Evaluate- The threat and what it means to you.

Weigh - The pro's and con's to deciding to act during AND after the event.

Determine - The appropriate level of force required to stop the threat.

ACT - Within the law to prevent injury/Death to yourself or another, or to detain an offender.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

3. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    For conversational purposes only:

Assume you live in a state which says something along the lines of [B]"assailed person need not retreat he(or she) may stand his (or her) ground and defend him(her)self"

How literally do you take that?

I live in a state which says I have NO duty to retreat.

Call me a coward but if I were in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm I would RUN LIKE HELL (IF POSSIBLE)

Why run? The law says I can stand my ground (like a man) and defend myself.

I'd run because I:

1. Honestly do NOT want to ever shoot anyone.
    2. Would like to avoid being treated like a criminal.
    3. Would like to avoid spending 10's or 100's of thousands defending in court.
    4. Would like to avoid risking my freedom and my life with my family.
    5. If running didn't work I can say I tried to get away and my use of force was truly a LAST RESORT.

Of course this only implies to my personal life, and if under duty to protect others I wouldn't have the option...

So - would you run or stand your ground?
    For me the answer is pretty simple. If I can SAFELY retreat without increasing the danger to myself or others, I am going to take that option everytime, including when I am home. By doing so, I automatically go into court during either the criminal or civil proceedings, already armed with a powerful argument: "I tried to avoid the confrontation". Even if the innocent person is not charged criminally, I bet he/she is going to face a "wrongful death" suit by the family. I don't know how many of the posters could financially survive a half-million dollar settlement. I sure couldn't

Agree to a point

I agree to a point. I dont want to spend anytime behind bars over something I truly believed was right. But it comes down to the whole reasoning why we all got the CHL's in the first place and we all answered yes that we would used deadly force if necessary. And just using simple force may be all that you need.

Lots of responses of all kind. Anyone who tells me that they are ready for the gunfight, outside of the members who really, really, really are good at all this stuff, including LEOs etal, are sitting in their underwear at their computer having daydreams. I do not think any of us, if given a choice, would stand our ground and have a shootout; if you were smart and had an ounce of common sense, you would run like hell and get the heck out of there. If you are so inclined to stand your ground, and live somewhere where this is commonplace, eventually you will run into someone better than you and that "ain't good".

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Not to start an argument but you'd better hope you took those factors into account. It is possible and expected of you to determine the above factors, process them, and act appropriately and within the law.

Having been in several high stress altercations in a professional capacity I can assure you it is entirely possible to Evaluate. Weigh. Determine, Act in under a second.

Evaluate- The threat and what it means to you.

Weigh - The pro's and con's to deciding to act during AND after the event.

Determine - The appropriate level of force required to stop the threat.

ACT - Within the law to prevent injury/Death to yourself or another, or to detain an offender.
    i agree with you. every situation is different and needs to be evaluated for what it is. the way you say it 'evalute,weigh,determine,act' in my opinion sums it up nicely. youre on the right track.

Guess i'm a naysayer

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey ClearSight: You are 100% right on in your very truthful comments. I absolutely agree. A great many of your potential naysayers, while sitting at their computers being the next Dirty Harry, will disagree--let them have at it and just ignore their comments. Odds are (I would hope) none of us will have to put our written comments to practical use in the real world, but those that disagree with you may very well find themselves in your numbers 2-4 or even worse--dead. I'm sure we have some "pros" out there and probably a lot of "wannabe pros" and I salute their commitments, but I'm with you Clear. Have a safe and healthy New Year and God Bless.
    I have put it to practical use in the real world. When I got jumped I drew w/ out even thinking about it. The bad guy ran off
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Virginia is a "True Man' state, which means there is no duty to retreat; you may stand your ground as long as you have a legal right to be where you are. In reality, if you are in imminent danger and have an avenue of escape or cover you can pursue in safety, you would be wise to take it. After all, there is always the distinct possibility that it could be you who is leading their life's fluids on the ground when a gunfight ends.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Kansas is even more loosley written than your example, If you have the legal right to be where your at and your preceive a danger of bodily harm or death to yourself or others you may use deadly force and have no duty to retreat.

That said if I have an out I'm going to be running like a school girl. Last thing I ever want to do is have to use deadly force. But it good to know I'm covered if I do have too.
    Also on: Ksccw.com NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor, Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    i agree with you. every situation is different and needs to be evaluated for what it is. the way you say it 'evalute,weigh,determine,act' in my opinion sums it up nicely. youre on the right track.
    +1

But like Oldgrunt and fudo, I can't run or fight. If I could safely walk away, that is the prefered choice if no one else is endangered by my leaving. But if I need to stand my ground, FL says that is good also.

I do live in a "stand your ground" state.

Assuming I am not in my home or on my land and can retreat without abandoning anyone or anything important to me, I would attempt escape.

When I was a young man in a war, I found that the best warfare survival skill one can have is the ability to run far and fast when that is what is called for. Unfortunately, I am no longer a young man, and "running" is but a fond memory...so it is likely I will have to "stand my ground".

I'm too old to fight or flee, so I'll just have to kill ya...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast