Duty to retreat?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty to retreat?

1. Duty to retreat?

For conversational purposes only:

Assume you live in a state which says something along the lines of [B]"assailed person need not retreat he(or she) may stand his (or her) ground and defend him(her)self"

How literally do you take that?

I live in a state which says I have NO duty to retreat.

Call me a coward but if I were in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm I would RUN LIKE HELL (IF POSSIBLE)

Why run? The law says I can stand my ground and defend myself.

I'd run because I:

1. Honestly do NOT want to ever shoot anyone.
    2. Would like to avoid being treated like a criminal.
    3. Would like to avoid spending 10's or 100's of thousands defending in court.
    4. Would like to avoid risking my freedom and my life with my family.
    5. If running didn't work I can say I tried to get away and my use of force was truly a LAST RESORT.

So - would you run or stand your ground?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

You might run the first time, but not the next time it happens.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Hey ClearSight: You are 100% right on in your very truthful comments. I absolutely agree. A great many of your potential naysayers, while sitting at their computers being the next Dirty Harry, will disagree--let them have at it and just ignore their comments. Odds are (I would hope) none of us will have to put our written comments to practical use in the real world, but those that disagree with you may very well find themselves in your numbers 2-4 or even worse--dead. I'm sure we have some "pros" out there and probably a lot of "wannabe pros" and I salute their commitments, but I'm with you Clear. Have a safe and healthy New Year and God Bless.

There is a big difference between the legal requirement to retreat and the common sense duty to retreat. Your reasoning is perfectly clear and correct and I hope the "Dirty Harry Wannabe's" listen. There is a difference between finding a BG in your home threatening your life and someone knocking at your door at 2am. There are no clear cut definitions although some want to think there is of when you can shoot and when you can't. There is a lot of grey area and there is where all the discussion, arguments, court costs etc. get involved.

As I have said several times before with simalar questions, it would honestly depend on the situation at the time, obviously if in your home where exactly are you going to run to? if you are armed and are able drill, the sonsabitches, they have no buiness there except to do you or yours harm, but if in a puplic setting, eatery, movies, store, or whatever, the situation at the time would determin weather I would run or shoot, weather there is a law to retreat or not

This must depend on the situation. There is nothing "Dirty Harry" about it.

Trying to retreat could potentially put you in graver danger when simply standing your ground might have saved your life.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

Trying to retreat could potentially put you in graver danger when simply standing your ground might have saved your life.

-Doc
    +1 Doc

ClearSight, what's to say the BG doesn't bust you in the back as you're fleeing?

As for the Dirty Harry mantra.........it's getting old that those that choose to stand their ground and intervene are accused of being some type of wannabe. The whole idea of a well armed society is to intervene "When Necessary". You the individual make that call. For those that don't see it that way fine but don't label someone because you don't see it their way. Leave the Playground retort on another web site. Also Dirty Harry was an LEO, you know, with a badge. If you want to name call try Paul Kersey.............Charles Bronson, Death Wish Series.

I refer all to the "Would you Help a LEO" thread. A lot of comments that have been posted are unbelievable, just plain vitriolic. I really never thought I'd see the day that people like that would openly spew such defecation.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    Agree 100% that it depends on the situation. Take the case that I have seen posted many times that you find someone beating on your front door at 2am. What do you do and you better believe that is a complicated situation that depends on a thousand facts at least. However I have seen too many who start with immediately that it is OK to shoot through the door and that is what they would do. Also too many tell that if they found someone in their house they would shoot first and ask questions later. I agree that the "Dirty Harry" reference is getting old but it is also too much in play for some people or at least some version of it. Every point being made in this post has a legitimate basis and the best one is it depends on the situation. Sometimes run, sometimes stand and fight and sometimes fight before you have to stand. The media likes to call the Castle Doctrine the Shoot First law and unfortunately that too many think that is really is that. Your number one weapon in any case is that thing located between your ears. Use it before you use your other weapons.

If I have an out.....I am gonna take it, otherwise my ground will be stood "for sure".

handgonnetoter Guest
    That question is a good one that does not have any one answer. Its like asking how deep does the rabbit hole go?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast