Able to be sued for use of hollow point? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Able to be sued for use of hollow point?

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriShooter View Post
    Use the same ammo your local LEO's do.
    In that case, I need some Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Ammunition RA45T. Which I have a box of.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Cool

I would rather have my hollow point stop inside the BG instead of a FMJ going thru the BG and into the neighbors house or worse.

4. ammo use

Quote Originally Posted by pb_beaker View Post
    I have had some friends tell me that you can get sued if you use hollow point or exotic ammo in a defense situation. Does anyone know if that is true? Is there have any info out there about this subject?
    I would say NO. Specially if it's store bought ammo ,and not re-loads beefed up.

the four conditions for use of deadly force?

1. Be innocent of instigation or provocation. You must be a reluctant participant. Do not go looking for a fight. If you are guilty of instigation but then withdraw, you REGAIN your ...right to self-defense.
    2. Attempt to withdraw or retreat if you are able. (this is not a requirement in Wisconsin but it is in some states) We donít want to shoot anyone if we can safely escape. While you are not REQUIRED to retreat in Wisconsin, juries are allowed to consider this aspect.
    3. No lesser force will do or use only sufficient force to deliver oneself from evil.
    4. You must be in immediate and reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death or had an immediate and reasonable fear of death. Grave danger must be imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by sn2112 View Post
    I would say NO. Specially if it's store bought ammo ,and not re-loads beefed up.

the four conditions for use of deadly force?

1. Be innocent of instigation or provocation. You must be a reluctant participant. Do not go looking for a fight. If you are guilty of instigation but then withdraw, you REGAIN your ...right to self-defense.
    2. Attempt to withdraw or retreat if you are able. (this is not a requirement in Wisconsin but it is in some states) We don’t want to shoot anyone if we can safely escape. While you are not REQUIRED to retreat in Wisconsin, juries are allowed to consider this aspect.
    3. No lesser force will do or use only sufficient force to deliver oneself from evil.
    4. You must be in immediate and reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death or had an immediate and reasonable fear of death. Grave danger must be imminent.
    As you mentioned, these criteria will vary from state to state but in general, your list can be taken as pretty valid. In my state, reloaded ammunition is not going to make any difference should you be charged. What IS going to matter is whether or not it was an excusable homicide. Trigger mods, night sights, compensated barrels... none of this is going to be a factor in your trial.

Your #2 in my state is more for your own safety than anything else. Virginia is a "true man" state, which equates to a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. However if an avenue is open to you to safely retreat, it would be prudent to do this since there is never any guarantee that you will win in a gun fight. Best to not allow any extra orifices artificially introduced into your body.

As for your #4 I know that many times on sites like this one, folks have pondered what constitutes serious or grave bodily harm. Here are a few examples of this. The apprehension of broken bones, disfigurement, lacerations, burns, temporary unconsciousness, and/or internal injuries. Any one of these or a combination thereof suffice for one to use deadly force against an attacker(s). In my state, you needn't be in imminent fear of death.... serious bodily harm is sufficient, which automatically means that death suffices.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

6. Quite possibly true however,

Quote Originally Posted by britt:176244
    if you use you gun your life is going change you will get sued from the one you shoot or the familey
    There is no doubt that using your firearm to defend yourself that results in the loss of a life, will dramatically change your life, depending on the laws of your state, you may be protected from being sued. That's why it is imperative that States that don't have "Stand your ground laws" that protect the shooter instead of the criminal, be changed. Also, regardless of how the laws are written, or what type of ammo you use, you should expect and plan on being arrested until law enforcement completes the investigation.

Argued humbly, the use of hollow points rather than FMJ ammunition may be shown to be the responsible and even caring choice. HP are designed not only to create a good-sized wound channel, but also to prevent over-penetration through controlled expansion, thus (ideally) connecting only with the BG who was seeking to harm you or someone else. Maybe you could even educate the judge with the truth that this is the very reason why the bailiff in the courtroom is carrying them during your trial!
    "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Cor 5:21, ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Not always true. My state's self defense statutes specifically protect you from criminal or civil liability if you are justified in the shooting(i.e. it was self defense). You can't even be arrested for suspicion unless the officer can provide convincing proof(i.e. witnesses) on scene that it wasn't self defense. They can't even suspect you were doing anything other than self defense if it happens in your home or car.

Criminals have many reasons to be afraid in Kentucky.

I know that Kentucky does not penalize the use of hollow points unless they are used in a crime.
    Same thing here in Kansas, If it's justified nobody can sue/prosecute you
    Also on: Ksccw.com NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor, Cheif Range Safety Officer

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789