CCW shooting info request
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW shooting info request

1. CCW shooting info request

I'm a new member starting off with a call for help.

I am trying to find whatever information is available on the following shooting incident ---

A CCW holder was charged with murder in the street shooting of another man.
    The CCW holder was deaf, reportedly beyond the ability to hear at all, even with a hearing-aid. The shooting happened in Florida.

That is all the information I have on the incident, and google searches have not turned up any more. If I knew the city, I would try newspaper sites.

Any information, especially with referal to sources, would be appreciated.
    Last edited by LongPurple; 01-16-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: grammer

Do not have an answer to your question but my first thought is how the heck do you get a CCWP when all your senses are not available. Why not give the CCWP to a blind person, as well? Has the Disabilities Act gone so crazy that it intrudes on the safety of people when you can get a CCWP if you are deaf? It figures it would be FL, the home of the looney seniors who somehow feel they are just as capable of doing everything as everyone else--even if they can't (I am 69 so don't preach to me about intolerance--if you have not seen what some seniors get away with, particularly in FL, you have your eyes closed). Do not know the case but if I am on a jury and you tell me because you were deaf you ended up killing someone who should not have been killed, I will tell you that you are guilty of manslaughter.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Do not have an answer to your question but my first thought is how the heck do you get a CCWP when all your senses are not available. Why not give the CCWP to a blind person, as well? Has the Disabilities Act gone so crazy that it intrudes on the safety of people when you can get a CCWP if you are deaf? It figures it would be FL, the home of the looney seniors who somehow feel they are just as capable of doing everything as everyone else--even if they can't (I am 69 so don't preach to me about intolerance--if you have not seen what some seniors get away with, particularly in FL, you have your eyes closed). Do not know the case but if I am on a jury and you tell me because you were deaf you ended up killing someone who should not have been killed, I will tell you that you are guilty of manslaughter.
    Oh my, lol.

I think a person with physical disability are more likely to be attacked. There should be some interesting debate on this...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Kelcarry I think if you check you'll find that a blind person can get a CWP in SC.

6. Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    Kelcarry I think if you check you'll find that a blind person can get a CWP in SC.
    Ok, I have to ask...how? I completely understand the need, but how, I mean legally, or morally. I'm just a bit confused by blind I don't mean "legally blind" I mean BLIND as in cannot see anything. Really?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
    (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty-one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon upon submission of:

(1) a completed application signed by the person;

(2) one current full face color photograph of the person, not smaller than one inch by one inch nor larger than three inches by five inches;

(3) proof of residence or if the person is a qualified nonresident, proof of ownership of real property in this State;

(4) proof of actual or corrected vision rated at 20/40 within six months of the date of application or, in the case of a person licensed to operate a motor vehicle in this State, presentation of a valid driver's license;

Taken from the scstatehouse.gov website. As you can see, no pun intended, a blind person cannot get a SC Concealed Carry Permit.

But I can find nothing in the SC CCW law that requires a person to be able to hear. So it sounds, again no pun intended, like a deaf person can get a CCW in SC.

For one simply reason when you lose one of your 5 sense the other four will become stronger. Blind people sense of touch is better and so is their hearing. As for being deaf that does not affect your ability to shoot a gun or rifle. It just means no need to buy hearing protection.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    For one simply reason when you lose one of your 5 sense the other four will become stronger. Blind people sense of touch is better and so is their hearing. As for being deaf that does not affect your ability to shoot a gun or rifle. It just means no need to buy hearing protection.
    Well, while that may be true I don't know that the increase in other senses would be able to determine the factors of a deadly force encounter. I am speaking purely of blind. How can a blind person legitimately be confident that they are shooting the right person?

I may have a answer in a couple of hours on the blind person getting a CWP. The Gun shop made a phone call and was told that he should be able to get one, I'll check and see if he did in fact get one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast