Easier to shoot?/why carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Easier to shoot?/why carry?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    817
    nothing would change. before i started to carry i thought long and hard about my own moral standards and religion and their compatibility with carring a gun. i realized that at times my beliefs were even more stringent than the law. so at least in my case and allowing for the laws where i live nothing would change.

  2.   
  3. #12
    handgonnetoter Guest
    I view carry as a last resort. Even if I were in a bank or something and someone started to rob the place, I probably would not try to pull my gun until they just started shooting or something. It is one of those things where we really don't know what to do until we are pushed into the situation. Hope I never have to go there, but if I do God help me.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmericanGreed View Post
    If you didn't have to worry so much about the legal ramifications of shooting someone, (Meaning no gray area)would you be quicker to draw your weapon and use it.
    Now before this becomes a rheterical question. Think about it please.

    It just seems to me that everyone is so worried about whats going to happen to them after the fact, then the fact its self which is to protect onesself and others from harm. I mean a police officer almost have to be half dead to use DF on a law breaking citizen. Or for some might be the fact that you couldnt handle that on your concscience.

    Why carry? A strong OC Spray and a X-26 would deter anyone from a fight. Less the legal work and better on your conscience.

    I carry because I beleive if someone life is in danger it is my duty to help him/her out. It shouldn't matter if I had every single detail about it. Now I am not saying go and shoot up the town and become the next vigilante of America. Just do whats right morallyand use sound judgement. Hesitation can kill when thinking off of adrelaline and training
    +1. So many of the posts say "run away", "don't draw your weapon", "take the punch" etc. that it makes me wonder why most carry in the first place.

    You'll know if/when you need it. Better not be afraid to use it...and most importantly, better be proficient with it. That's the more serious issue, IMO. How many have trained and continue to train with a reputable instructor or school? I think most of us pass the very elementary test given by our respective states, then strap it on, and off we go. Maybe the lack of training is the cause for most of this angst about using the damn thing.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    +1. So many of the posts say "run away", "don't draw your weapon", "take the punch" etc. that it makes me wonder why most carry in the first place.

    You'll know if/when you need it. Better not be afraid to use it...and most importantly, better be proficient with it. That's the more serious issue, IMO. How many have trained and continue to train with a reputable instructor or school? I think most of us pass the very elementary test given by our respective states, then strap it on, and off we go. Maybe the lack of training is the cause for most of this angst about using the damn thing.
    LOL. No one if afraid of using it. If you want to go out there guns a blazing every time some prick gets in your face go for it. Be sure to forward the forum your cell block number so we can keep you well supplied with soap on a rope. Part of being a responsible permit hold/firearm owner is knowing when to use it and when not to. Most of the members on this forum(I say most because we do/did have a few dirty harry wannabes) understand that taking a life is not something to be taken lightly. This idea of shoot at the first sign of conflict is NUTS! So when you see members say they would walk a way of if you can you should walk away. It's not them not being ready to use their firearms it's them fully understanding what using their firearms really means. Getting punched is not reason enough to draw a firearm(unless it's a gang attack).

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    LOL. No one if afraid of using it. If you want to go out there guns a blazing every time some prick gets in your face go for it. Be sure to forward the forum your cell block number so we can keep you well supplied with soap on a rope. Part of being a responsible permit hold/firearm owner is knowing when to use it and when not to. Most of the members on this forum(I say most because we do/did have a few dirty harry wannabes) understand that taking a life is not something to be taken lightly. This idea of shoot at the first sign of conflict is NUTS! So when you see members say they would walk a way of if you can you should walk away. It's not them not being ready to use their firearms it's them fully understanding what using their firearms really means. Getting punched is not reason enough to draw a firearm(unless it's a gang attack).
    No need to be snarky. My main point is if we develop the mindset of being afraid to use the thing because of all the financial, emotional, legal considerations, there is the chance we become frozen in indecision when the time might come. And that indecision could cost you dearly.

    I'm no Dirty Harry type, I'm older and have had CCW permits for the better part of 30 yrs. Have never even thought of using it, in that time. But, I'm very proficient with it, train extensively at a reputable school, and would use it if I had to.

    You?

    btw, you seem to infer a lot of things from my post: e.g., "shoot at the first sign of conflict", "guns a-blazing whenever some prick gets in your face", etc. I have many posts on this site. I challenge you to find ANY where I have espoused such opinions.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    No need to be snarky. My main point is if we develop the mindset of being afraid to use the thing because of all the financial, emotional, legal considerations, there is the chance we become frozen in indecision when the time might come. And that indecision could cost you dearly.

    I'm no Dirty Harry type, I'm older and have had CCW permits for the better part of 30 yrs. Have never even thought of using it, in that time. But, I'm very proficient with it, train extensively at a reputable school, and would use it if I had to.

    You?

    btw, you seem to infer a lot of things from my post: e.g., "shoot at the first sign of conflict", "guns a-blazing whenever some prick gets in your face", etc. I have many posts on this site. I challenge you to find ANY where I have espoused such opinions.
    Sorry mate it seems the post come off the wrong way. It was in no way addressed at you personally it was more or less lumping many posts together(someone calls your wife a name,it starts with a punch etc..) None of my comments in general where aimed at you. I find it outstanding that so many members want to engage in all aspects of using a firearm for defense. Everyone seems to fully understand and respect what really would happen should you need to defend your life.That being said I have no doubt that should the same members find them self's in a situation where they needed to defend them self's they would do so with out thinking. The information on the forum covers every step(just about) and such information is a outstanding resource for new members or new permit holders.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Sorry mate it seems the post come off the wrong way. It was in no way addressed at you personally it was more or less lumping many posts together(someone calls your wife a name,it starts with a punch etc..) None of my comments in general where aimed at you. I find it outstanding that so many members want to engage in all aspects of using a firearm for defense. Everyone seems to fully understand and respect what really would happen should you need to defend your life.That being said I have no doubt that should the same members find them self's in a situation where they needed to defend them self's they would do so with out thinking. The information on the forum covers every step(just about) and such information is a outstanding resource for new members or new permit holders.
    No problem. Tis often very difficult to get your point across in a medium such as this.

    I must admit I did start that "insult my wife" thread a couple years ago, as an exploration into escalation issues. The damn thing was completely misunderstood by some (who accused me of wanting to shoot someone who insulted my wife, for crying out loud!) and just refuses to go away! Well...maybe that's the sign of a good thread, who knows?
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Short sweet answer santa. I would add that at least following the law in SC is based on that "presumption of imminent threat of great bodily injury or death--literally for me, or anyone else around me (alter ego rule)". I also have looked in the mirror, so to speak, and have made a pact with myself on what this CC is all about, and whether or when I would even think of using same. It truly, IMO, is a very very very "last resort" and has very little room for a whole series of "what ifs" that get discussed on this forum.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    No problem. Tis often very difficult to get your point across in a medium such as this.

    I must admit I did start that "insult my wife" thread a couple years ago, as an exploration into escalation issues. The damn thing was completely misunderstood by some (who accused me of wanting to shoot someone who insulted my wife, for crying out loud!) and just refuses to go away! Well...maybe that's the sign of a good thread, who knows?
    I made one reaply to that stating you should walk away LOL. Last time I checked that thing had pages of replys. It must be a good thread if people keep posting in it.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    No need to be snarky. My main point is if we develop the mindset of being afraid to use the thing because of all the financial, emotional, legal considerations, there is the chance we become frozen in indecision when the time might come. And that indecision could cost you dearly.

    I'm no Dirty Harry type, I'm older and have had CCW permits for the better part of 30 yrs. Have never even thought of using it, in that time. But, I'm very proficient with it, train extensively at a reputable school, and would use it if I had to.

    You?

    btw, you seem to infer a lot of things from my post: e.g., "shoot at the first sign of conflict", "guns a-blazing whenever some prick gets in your face", etc. I have many posts on this site. I challenge you to find ANY where I have espoused such opinions.
    Thanks for understanding what it is that I'm trying to say. Some people seem they either always want to play Devils advocate or just get arguments started. But thats exactly what I was trying to say. I try to shoot as much as possible to become proficient and have that much more in my confidence in my shooting ability. not saying cocky and I cant miss attitude. And some say they would walk away from the scence, why? I respect what you say more than others here. so I hope you dont think I'm attacking you when i ask you that question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast