Using deadly force to protect your pet - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using deadly force to protect your pet

Last week during the weekend in Mt. Pleasant, SC, as I looked out my rear window, an unleashed, wandering nicely groomed, collared with ID, large pit bull was walking around on my back deck, on my dock, in my backyard and doing same at other neighbors' houses. I have had unleashed collared dogs show up at various times, such as a beagle and smaller dogs and have gone over to them, checked their collar, leashed them with rope and either brought them back to their homes or called the phone number I was able to secure; this large pit bull, even though it had not been aggressive, scared me enough so that I did not go over to it to check its owner's address, and did not secure it with a leash/rope. I called police and was informed that animal control is "off" on weekend and unless dog is acting aggressive, they usually do not come out on the call. After hanging up I realized this made no sense--they were, in effect, telling me that if I saw the pit attack and maul a child they would come out--thanks a lot. I emailed our Town Administrator and relayed my story and on Monday I received a call from the Chief who agreed with me that the police, in answering such a call, should ask what kind of dog and what size dog and if it has or is being aggressive. If the answer to any of these questions is your statistically obvious breeds (pit, rott, shephard, akita, chow et al), is large enough to cause you concern, and certainly if it being aggressive, police should come immediately regardless of day of week or availability of animal control. Today there is a meeting of the Town Committee that deals with police matters and I intend to attend and reaffirm my conversation with the Chief. It would seem that based on the seemingly increasing level of "problems" with "problem dogs", all communities should have police ask these kind of questions and if there is even a hint that the caller is not willing to approach the dog, that should be reason enough for them to respond. Certainly waiting for a child, an adult, or a basically defenseless dog or cat in your yard from being mauled and killed is unacceptable. I would reiterate that if the police do not arrive in time and I perceive such an altercation, "I consider my life under threat" and I will do something to eliminate that threat.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Treo
    Random Internet Tough Guy

I would say that description fits you well. While you are trying to kick one pit bull or mastiff or whatever the other one is going to be pulling the leg you are standing on from under you and having fun with your third leg.
    Man, don't you know you're talking to the Caucasian Jackie Chan? If it's two dogs (which should be your handle BTW) I'll just unleash (pun intended) my Kung Fu skillz on them
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Blog Entries
    That whole bit about being judged by 12 sounds applicable here. The dog all ready has tasted blood, maybe next time it will be a toddler, infant, preggo mom, who knows? I have called the cops on dogs out of their yards (AFTER they attacked my kids) By the time LEO arrived, the offending animal had gotten back inside its fence. I told the Neighbor and the Cop next time that dog got out of the yard it was being put down. Amazing enough, I have yet to see them even outside without my neighbors being home, unless they were chained up.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

I had this very same thing happen here in High Point a couple months ago. a Pitt rot mix broke his chain and jumped my Basset hound while my roommate was out walking him also bit the roommate. I was not home but when the cops got there they told the pitt/rot owner he would have to pay for my dogs vet visit and that if the dog got off his chain again and i shot it he could not do a thing. now when i walk my dogs i have a 45lc on my belt.

I live in a rural part of Tennessee, where all of the dogs roam around the neighborhood without a leash. Dogs that belong receive petting and usually some doggy treats. Dogs that don't belong and act aggressively are the main reason almost everybody has an H&R singleshot .410 or 20 gauge hanging up in the garage. I've never even come close to needing my .410 Pardner. Most of our dogs are retrievers and hounds. The only threat is getting licked to death!

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    GOOD ONE!
    ROTF LMAO!!!
    AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

The just had an incidednt here in the Springs where a 140 pound Bull Mastiff dragged it's owner across the street to latch on to a 70 pound Greyhound. The Greyhound's owwn did every thing he could to get the Bull Mastiff off his dog then told the Bull's owner "If you don't get your dog off mine I'm going to kill it"

When the Bull's owner didn't repond he drew his pistol (CHP Holder) and shot the dog.

No charges were filed
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

No matter what really happened, if a dog attacks your dog it also "bared its teeth, growled loudly and angrily and my presumption was that I was about to be attacked. I was truly frightened for my own safety and the dog presented what I considered to be an imminent threat to my life". That is why you shot it--period/end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    KELCARRY: I could be wrong but I think you are saying you would dispatch the animal. Can't say I blame you and would do the same. Especially if there were children in the vicinity. I read the other day where a woman was killed by her own two Rotweillers who were running loose. Animals like Rots and Pit Bulls should never run loose. Those blood lines could run out for my part. I can not see a need for that kind of animal.
    I have a Rottie. You stand a better chance of being licked to death than being bit by him. As with all breeds of dogs, it depends on who trains them and how. I had a Beagle that was more vicious than my Rottie, Shep/Dane, and Dobbie combined.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I have a Rottie. You stand a better chance of being licked to death than being bit by him. As with all breeds of dogs, it depends on who trains them and how. I had a Beagle that was more vicious than my Rottie, Shep/Dane, and Dobbie combined.
    I worry more about all those sheepdawgz running around with their CCW Badges.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast