Using deadly force to protect your pet - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Using deadly force to protect your pet

Give me a break walt. As in any confrontation either with a 2 legged or 4 legged dog, there is a decision to make at some point if your sensibilities and situational awareness tell you that you have a very real problem that may or is about to become a real threat to your safety. The problem with our replies is that the words do not necessarily reflect what we really would do and at what point we really would do it. Personally, with a dog attack, I see very little use for a firearm and a much better use of a serrated knife. Good chance at a dog park or on the street that you will end up shooting someone else as you fumble for a firearm amidst the confusion of a running leaping dog. IMO, there is no difference between the 2 leg and 4 leg versions of a dog. At a distance you cannot be sure of its intent but at some point you realize the threat and must act, if you cannot just get away from the whole thing or find a way to avoid the problem.

In this thread as with many many other threads on this and other boards I see the battling of minds over the fine legal points of when you can and can't shoot. I do think that for the most part these are good discussions as if we can learn from it what we should or shouldn't do and disspell many of the myths surrounding the laws of self-defense and the actual need and response to actions that require self-defense. For me I don't think that if the actual need for me to use a gun in self-defense should arise that the legal aspects of it will come into play. If you have time to think about whether or not it is legal then you also have enough time to avoid using your gun.

Think about this, whether it is two legged or four legged if you are to the point that you need to pull your gun and use it then are you really going to think about the legality. If you pull your gun out then you should be planning to use it unless the situation changes very rapidly. If you decide that you need to use your gun on a dog or a person then you should have exhausted all other options. From too many of these discussions I get that same old feeling that too many people are walking around looking for an excuse to use their gun rather than an actual need to. If you need to use your gun then by all means do it, otherwise why are you carrying it. But make sure that if you do then you needed to and not because you thought the law said you could in that case. Remember that when you pull that trigger your whole life will be changed as well as who or what you are shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    In this thread as with many many other threads on this and other boards I see the battling of minds over the fine legal points of when you can and can't shoot. I do think that for the most part these are good discussions...
    You also see the mentioning of CCW badges, sheepdogs, and other wisecrack remarks by some of the better legal minds here on USA Carry. Heck, you even get to see a neat pic of NavyLCDR's dog. All in all, I have to say that this is a great discusion.
    Last edited by G50AE; 07-06-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Updated post to reflect NavyLT's promotion to NavyLCDR

If the dog was vicious enough to be ripping my pet into shreds, then I could honestly say that I would feel like I could be next on the menu. If this were a chiwawa it would get a good swift kick, but a pit bull....? Well.... I need to keep my foot, so a bullet would probably be fired. Legal? I don't know, but any LEO I know would want their non LEO wife to do the same thing in that situation.
    God and brave men with guns made the USA a free nation. It will take the very same to keep it that way.

In 2005 I shot a rottweiler with my Marlin 1894 .44mag in my(at the time) back yard. This dog and another were owned by a local body shop(for protection I assume) but had of late been let loose to roam.

They found my house and my female collie. First they just barked and snarled at each other keeping their distance. A few days later they came back and attacked my dog... bitting her a few times. Luckily, nothing too serious.

About two days later they came back. I saw them walking through my back yard... looking for something to F up I presumed.

I went inside and retrieved my Marlin .44 and went back to the porch. The dogs were about 30 yards away from me and about 10 yards away from my dog. I shot the closest one just at the top of the shoulder going into it's upper chest/neck(dog at about 45 degree angle) and it dropped dead.

My dog and the other split in two different directions scared sh!tless.

I gave the dead dog an unmarked grave near the tree line in my back yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Bad dog dies, lawyers can talk about it later. No dog's life is worth a human's life and I construe an attacking dog (regardless of current target)) in my physical proximity as a threat to human life and limb.

I don't care what state I'm in. If a dog, lion, elephant, ostrich, or another person attacks one of my dogs, they're done...over...finished...dead.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    I don't care what state I'm in. If a dog, lion, elephant, ostrich, or another person attacks one of my dogs, they're done...over...finished...dead.
    So you won't be lion around.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    KELCARRY: I could be wrong but I think you are saying you would dispatch the animal. Can't say I blame you and would do the same. Especially if there were children in the vicinity. I read the other day where a woman was killed by her own two Rotweillers who were running loose. Animals like Rots and Pit Bulls should never run loose. Those blood lines could run out for my part. I can not see a need for that kind of animal.
    That's the same as saying there's no need for assault weapons. It's not the animal, it's the person and whether or not they know how to handle the animal. Pit Bulls aren't inherently any more "mean" or "aggressive" than a friggin' Poodle. Some people make them mean on purpose because they are wannabe gangstas, some simply don't know how to handle them.

Watch this and then say there is no need for "these types of animals!"

Pit Bulls aren't inherently any more "mean" or "aggressive" than a friggin' Poodle.
    I remember reading an article about the different breeds that bit mailmen as the old story goes. Poodle was either #1 or #2 with Chihuahuah [(that Mexican rat, however it is spelled] taking the other spot. I don't know if Pit Bull was even on the list.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast