Using deadly force to protect your pet - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Using deadly force to protect your pet

Dogs no matter breed can kill other dogs..
    Its not the breed that makes a dog aggressive, its the owners who fail to properly train them.
    Sometimes I wish my German Shepard was a bit more aggressive, if only she could stop the going to strangers and peeing on their shoes/boots. o.O (ok so she kinda has stopped peeing, but shes till goes up and acts all lovey dovey with strangers)

kinda funny too - cause when she first sees a stranger, she barks in the deep "im gonna get yeh sucker" bark.. but soon is all rolling on the ground showing her belly o.O

She is a work in progress of course.. training takes time, and shes not a year old yet.. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Dunewolf View Post
    She is a work in progress of course.. training takes time, and shes not a year old yet.. heh
    She's still a puppy. Training for our police dogs doesn't start until they're 18 mos old, & mature enough to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ_MAC View Post
    In Ohio a pet is considered PROPERTY. You cannot shoot the dog to protect property, only the life and limb of yourself or another person. So, remember that the dog was coming after you and your dog interceded. You were forced to shoot to protect yourself!
    Property may be the idiotic legal definition of a pet, but I'd wager that the vast majority of pets are considered part of the family they live with. I'd be hard pressed to not defend a member of my family regardless of how many legs they have.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I love dogs as much as anyone, have owned many, still have dogs including two well trained protection dogs, but anything, anyone attacking a family member, myself or anyone under my protection will be stopped.

I would absolutely defend my pet.....if the dog is that vicious it could very well turn on you as well. If on your property it would fall under the castle doctrine. remember A.O.J.
    it had the ability....the opportunity....and jeopardy was definitly there. Think you would be in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ_MAC View Post
    In Ohio a pet is considered PROPERTY. You cannot shoot the dog to protect property, only the life and limb of yourself or another person. So, remember that the dog was coming after you and your dog interceded. You were forced to shoot to protect yourself!
    I live in Ohio and I take exception to the above statement, I have two times in the last forty years had to dispatch a dog attacking my dog. Both times the owner of the dogs called the police, and both times they were told they should have controlled their dogs and I had the right to defend my dog. Could it be the cops involved in those two cases not know the law as well as you?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say, for those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.

Blog Entries
    My dog? No, i wont shoot unless i'm sure it's after me next. My cat? That's one dead dog. You'd have to meet my cat to understand the bond.

Clearly a threat to you. You can get a nasty infection from a dog bite.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dunewolf View Post
    Its not the breed that makes a dog aggressive, its the owners who fail to properly train them.
    strangers)
    Well it's true you can cause some changes in a dogs personality with how you treat them the basic foundation of a dogs temperament and aggression is genetic. This is the problem with the bleeding hearts, they don't recognize there is a serious genetic trait to nerves and it will take a couple generations to breed it out.

It's the basic reason a Golden wouldn't be successful at Schutzhund and a Malinois wouldn't make a good bird dog.
    “If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time.” ~ Randy Pausch

In the past two weeks we've had two pit bull attacks in this area. Both were in residential areas. One the owner was arrested for letting the dogs run loose, no licenses, no rabies shots. The dogs have bitten people before and were classified by county Animal Control as dangerous dogs. The dogs will be put down (if they haven't been already). Certain breeds are allowed one bite. The others were licensed and had their shots but the 17 year old owner allowed them to roam the neighborhood and was cited for that.

In Texas it's legal to use deadly force to protect your property and yes I would shoot any dog attacking my dogs. My two are never allowed off the leash outside of the yard.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast