Using deadly force to protect your pet
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using deadly force to protect your pet

Charleston, South Carolina, United States

Question Using deadly force to protect your pet

Here in Charleston South Carolina there was a news report this week of a pit bull that was roaming a neighborhood in West Ashley and attacking other dogs. One lady watched as the Pit Bull tore in to her weiner dog and killed it. The pit bull came out of the woods and attacked the dog with no cause. Then later on that afternoon the pit bull showed up in a park not too far away and did the same thing to another dog.

The thought running through my mind was this. If that pit bull had attacked my dog for no apparent reason other than to be vicious I would have put an end to that problem very quickly. The next thought was a question that I would like to pose to you. If I use deadly force to stop a vicious animal from tearing into my pet will I go to jail for discharging my firearm in public?

Yes, I know I need to research the local laws here. I would imagine that the City of Charleston does have ordinances against discharging a firearm in the city limits. Any pet owner that is a CWP holder and carrying concealed would certainly be tempted to protect their pet.

I had a friend of mine, who was working private security many years ago, that got mauled by a pit bull at an apartment complex. He was walking by a gate at the back of an apartment and the dog broke its chain and jumped the fence and attacked him. My friend was armed but it happened so quick he was not able, or decided not to use deadly force. I am thinking that I would have fed the dog the business end of his .357 and pulled the trigger.

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    The thought running through my mind was this. If that pit bull had attacked my dog for no apparent reason other than to be vicious I would have put an end to that problem very quickly. The next thought was a question that I would like to pose to you. If I use deadly force to stop a vicious animal from tearing into my pet will I go to jail for discharging my firearm in public?
    That pit could very likely turn on you once he is finished with your pet. Remember. "I FEARED FOR MY LIFE"!!! Nobody can say otherwise as they are not you.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

General rule for deadly force is life, limb or eyesight, I was also told to protect your property, the life of someone else, and that includes pets. I would say, shoot the dog if it tried attacking yours, after all else fails.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    Here in Charleston South Carolina there was a news report this week of a pit bull that was roaming a neighborhood in West Ashley and attacking other dogs. One lady watched as the Pit Bull tore in to her weiner dog and killed it. The pit bull came out of the woods and attacked the dog with no cause. Then later on that afternoon the pit bull showed up in a park not too far away and did the same thing to another dog.

Yes, I know I need to research the local laws here. I would imagine that the City of Charleston does have ordinances against discharging a firearm in the city limits. Any pet owner that is a CWP holder and carrying concealed would certainly be tempted to protect their pet.

I had a friend of mine, who was working private security many years ago, that got mauled by a pit bull at an apartment complex. He was walking by a gate at the back of an apartment and the dog broke its chain and jumped the fence and attacked him. My friend was armed but it happened so quick he was not able, or decided not to use deadly force. I am thinking that I would have fed the dog the business end of his .357 and pulled the trigger.
    Perhaps the pitbull was ATTACKING YOU and your faithful dog tried to intercept the attacking animal. Fearing for your life and unsure if your dog would be adequate defense against the bloodthirsty animal, YOU SHOT THE PITBULL.

In New York state any person who is threatened by a dog or witnesses a dog threatening another person or a domestic animal is allowed to dispatch the dog.

If done while the dog is engaged in the threatening behavior or an actual attack, then the common law "necessity" defense applies and laws against discharge of a weapon would not be enforceable.

However, if one dispatches the offending dog while it is running away (which is still legal under the law) then the "necessity" defense does not apply, and although the person could not be convicted for killing the dog, he could be convicted of violating any applicable firearm laws.

In Ohio a pet is considered PROPERTY. You cannot shoot the dog to protect property, only the life and limb of yourself or another person. So, remember that the dog was coming after you and your dog interceded. You were forced to shoot to protect yourself!

As XJ says for Ohio, in SC a pet is just considered property and has no rights given to a human, if attacked and in imminent danger of death. Having said that, I have yet to meet an LEO who has not said that if it were their pet, they would not hesitate to kill the attacking animal. As far as I am concerned, if a pet of mine or even one of the ferals that comes visit my home everyday, were attacked by an unleashed animal and was threatened by death or great injury, I would shoot it if I had my gun, I would chop its head off if I had an ax, I would bludgeon it if I had a hammer, I would slice it it I had a knife---property or not as far as SC is concerned, none of these essentially defenseless animals deserve to die that way. Rats, mice, squirrels and other vermin of that sort are not, IMO, in that same category---even akin to a feral cat.

If my pet was attacked I would assume that that the attacker also has me in its sights and I would dispatch it. I would also have to consider the chance that the attacker might be rabid. Actually about 2 years ago while in my garage with the door open 2 large dogs stood at the doorway and growled and behaved menacingly. At that moment my wife opened the house door to take our small dog out. The 2 large dogs turned to attack either my dog or my wife. I yelled a warning to wife. pulled ouy my gun and was about a heartbeat from shooting the 2 dogs when for some reason unknown the 2 large dogs left. A neighbor saw the incident and called the cops. The leo(a good leo) asked me what happened and there was no problem. I never saw the 2 dogs again and dont know what happened to them.

I wonder why states like Ohio and SC prohibit dispatching a dog that is atacking another dog.

In New York we aren't that fussy. If a dog is attacking your dog, go ahead and shoot it.

Also, anyone with a hunting license can dispatch a cat attcking wildlife or even a cat found with a protected bird in its posession.

Up until two years ago, anyone wth a hunting license could dispatch a dog that was chasing deer. Now only leo's can do that.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast