What to do after a self defense shooting? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What to do after a self defense shooting?

If there are no witnesses to my self-defense shooting, I intend to have a cup of coffee and a cigarette and then mosey over to the phone to dial 911.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    "I am at ___________ and I was just attacked, he tried to kill me! Send an ambulance! I was forced to defend my life. If the attacker survives I want to press charges so send the police also".

Something like that make anyone grimmace?

What say you about practicing saying those words out load over and over and over at the range after practicing drawing/shooting, so as to be used to saying them?
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Great thread. Thanks much.
    Retired Air Force, Vietnam Veteran, NRA Members, Lifetime VFW Member, Catholic War Veterans of the USA
    Owns: Taurus PT 145, PT 111, PT 92 and PT 1911, Smith and Wesson 22A

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    If there are no witnesses to my self-defense shooting, I intend to have a cup of coffee and a cigarette and then mosey over to the phone to dial 911.
    I have a question about self defense with a different twist. On another forum, a guy said he was the victim of an armed kidnapping attempt. He struggled with the attacker, wrestling the gun away from him, and shoot the attacker in the leg. The attacker then kept fighting with him, "trying to blind him" ( as the victim stated). The victim finally got the attacker on the ground at gunpoint, and called the police. He said "NEVER AGAIN!" .

I replied to him and said why did you call the police? Why didn't you just shoot him until he quit moving? After you were sure he was no more a threat to you, just leave. Let someone else call the police. Then dispose of the gun. I wanted to get a spirited debate going. LOL!

But, what would happen if someone actually did that? Do you have a legal obligation to call police? If not, why put yourself in a situation where you would be subject to making a bunch of statements that could be turned around against you?

I know the law about how to handle this situation is probably different in each state, but in this situation, you weren't the one originally with the gun. You were attacked by an armed assailant. Interesting twist, isn't it? I really don't know the answer. That's why I posted the question here. It just got me thinking, why is the FIRST thought to call the police?

Now, this scenario is where there are no other people but YOU and the assailant there. No witnesses anywhere to be seen, that you are aware of to be seen.

Yes, you have a legal obligation to notify police...in every jurisdiction where I have worked or lived, and I seriously doubt there are any exceptions in the USA.

Not only will failure to notify the police result in prosecution for that crime if you are identified (which is highly likely), your failure to do so can be considered "flight" and used as evidence of a "guilty mind" should you be charged with the shooting.

If you advocate law abiding citizens retaining the right to self defense, it is incumbent on you to abide by the laws that govern the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    "I am at ___________ and I was just attacked, he tried to kill me! Send an ambulance! I was forced to defend my life. If the attacker survives I want to press charges so send the police also".

Something like that make anyone grimmace?

What say you about practicing saying those words out load over and over and over at the range after practicing drawing/shooting, so as to be used to saying them?
    Thank for finally saying it. Lots of good information here, but no one mentioned pressing charges on the assailant(s). This is important as it help to keep everyone clear as to who the bad guy is.

Also, regarding providing medical assistance to the BG, Id just like to throw in my $0.02. DON'T!!! Don't even get close! Back off, or remove yourself to a safer location if you must. Even if you are a medical professional, don't do it. Here's why:

A. You render aid and the assailant becomes aggressive again, requiring you to shoot again. Now the guy is dead, instead of just injured. In court, you will have aggravated the situation.

B. You render aid and the assailant dies anyway. In court, you aggravated the injuries, causing death, and your motives will be suspect because you just moments before dealt life-threatening injury.

C. You render aid and the assailant survives. Now in court you must explain why this person who was a threat a moment before is no longer a threat to you.

D. You render aid and the assailant becomes aggressive again. You are injured or killed.

Personally, I cannot think of a single positive outcome to giving first aid to an assailant you just shot.

Call 911 when you are in a safe location. Tell tell them your name, your location, what you are wearing. Tell them you were attacked and were forced to defend yourself. Tell them where the bad guy is, or where you last saw him. Ask them to send police and an ambulance. Then stay on the line but say nothing more until LEOs arrive. Do not touch the BG, do not disturb the crime scene at all! Do not pick up mags or anything else you may have dropped. Leave everything exactly as it was the moment the threat was gone. And then, remain calm. Witnesses will be watching you, and will relay anything you say or do to police. Cooperate fully when LEOs arrive, do what is ordered promptly and courteously. Even if they tell you to drop that pretty little Kimber on the ground and kick it away. Do it. Point out potential witnesses they should question. Insist on calling an attorney prior to answering any questions or consenting to any searches.

Prosecution of what crime? And how will the police know to prosecute if no one is around? And you never lose your right to self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Prosecution of what crime? And how will the police know to prosecute if no one is around? And you never lose your right to self-defense.
    You go with that theory...

Just like a lot of the people populating our maximum security prisons.
    Gun Control: The [liberal] theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound...L. Neil Smith

All of this assumes you are in a state that doesn't protect you from criminal or civil action for using self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    You go with that theory...

Just like a lot of the people populating our maximum security prisons.
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding, what is the crime here?

Let me pose another scenario: The guy tries to rob you and is unsuccessful because you fought with him and knocked him out. Would you just walk away, or call the cops? Has a crime been committed? And if so, by whom?
    Think about this. Are you SURE you want to call the cops? What if he isn't just "knocked out"? What if you caused a brain bleed and he died? But you didn't know it. Now you have a dead body there, and absolutely NO PROOF the guy tried to rob you. As far as the police are concerned, you had it in for this guy and just beat him to death. Are you still SURE you want to call the cops?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast