Drawing a Weapon
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing a Weapon

Question Drawing a Weapon

It seems to be the consensus that should a defensive shooting occur, it is imperative that the shooter call 911 first, get a lawyer, etc. If, hypothetically, you are encounter a potentially lethal threat and draw your weapon, but the BG thinks otherwise and leaves you alone, should you still report it, even though no shots were fired? It would seem to me that this is sort of a "no harm, no foul," in that since nothing really happened, it would be more trouble than it's worth to report it. Is there a worry of the BG reporting YOU for brandishing and then making up some BS story?? Does it depend on if there are witnesses?

Thoughts???

3. I would report it for a few of reasons.
    First, there is a thug on the loose that will do it to someone else. Get a good description and report him to the police.
    Second, there can be a chance that the thug will report you. Doubtful that he will do it but there is a chance.
    Third, If there was even one witness that saw only part of what happened they may create the rest of the scenario in their own mind and come to the conclusion that you are the thug with a gun.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    If you feel threatened enough to pull your weapon then I would say that you should report it. I had not thought about someone reporting ME as the "man with a gun" but I can see how that could easily be construed. Here is another thought. Some folks are buying the Concealed Weapon permit shield to carry on them. I personally have not purchased one because I do not want someone mistaking me for a police officer OR to even think that I am presenting myself as a police officer. The flip side to that might be that someone seeing that shield might identify you as a good guy and not report you as "man with a gun". I am thinking there are more chances of you being confused as being a LEO vs the other since the chances of you pulling your weapon would be very small. Just thinking out loud here and adding to the conversation.

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by ack8910 View Post
    ...but the BG thinks otherwise and leaves you alone, should you still report it, even though no shots were fired? It would seem to me that this is sort of a "no harm, no foul," in that since nothing really happened, it would be more trouble than it's worth to report it. Is there a worry of the BG reporting YOU for brandishing and then making up some BS story?? Does it depend on if there are witnesses?

Thoughts???
    Let me preface this comment with the statement that I am not a lawyer, but have been a LEO.

The fact that there WAS a foul intent perpetrated by the BG, and he re-thought his idea when he saw that you were better prepared stopped his evil intent, is no reason NOT to report it. If the BG does make a claim against you, chances are it will be later rather than sooner. If your report to the police predates his, it would show that you wanted to avoid conflict, but were prepared for conflict. It would also alert the police that there is a BG in the area that they may not know about yet. Personally, I would file a report to cover my six.
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

Anytime you draw a gun in public for defensive purposes you should call 911. Witnesses may have already called. The perp may call and report YOU as the aggressor. There is a dangerous person in the area and perhaps he may attack another victim.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I'm agreeing with your out-loud thinking, Chief. I think Concealed Carry badges have the potential to cause more trouble than they're worth. LEOs on other forums have agreed. Thanks everyone for your input. Makes sense.

I agree with those above who believe reporting a "near miss" encounter is a good idea.

It also shows CCW holders are being good public stewards and can help bolster positive impressions among cops.
    H&K-Certified MP5 Operator and Instructor
    FBI-Certified Police Pistol and Shotgun Instructor
    State of New Mexico-Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Experience on calling

I've seen several cases where the first person to call was assumed to be the Good Guy and the latter was the BG by default. Caused lady I know to go to prison for a while.

On the badge idea, I go with the DON'T side as in many states it is specifically not legal AND you become liable for damages if anyone is hurt due to them assuming you were someone in authority. Just because you see them in CCW mag is no reason to buy them.

Rick
    CCW Instructor

10. There was a "man with gun" report just yesterday a block from my work. He wasn't doing anything actively wrong, he just had a gun, so someone called the police.

You and the BG may know what happened, but there may be a witness you didn't see (a block away, for example,) who just heard a shout, looked, saw one person with a gun, and a second person running away.

If you pull, you call. Simple as that. Even simpler than if you had to use it, because you did nothing wrong in any way, so it should be a simple "someone assaulted me, I drew, he/she ran." Tell that to 911, and they might not even send an officer, depending on where you are.

It seems to be unanimous, and it really should be. I believe that each person has a responsibility to society to be able to protect themselves and others. Carrying a weapon is one way, and calling the police is another.

If you are threatened enough to draw your weapon, call the police. You will protect yourself from possible misinformed prosecution, and you have the chance to get a scumbag off the streets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast