How to handle an active shooter from in my book the top trainer in the country Great - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to handle an active shooter from in my book the top trainer in the country Great

Banging off shots with a handgun at 100 yards trying to hit a guy with a rifle will just not accomplish anything at best and hit a bystander at worst. One could theorize to cross the distance and engage but dashing into a building with people running from hither to yonder and trying to locate and engage the gunman ... I am not sure if that's a good proposition.

Honestly, I am not sure what I would have done in that situation. Certainly if I'd been in the IHOP and saw the guy walking in and shoot I may have shot back, but I have never been shot at so it's all talk at this point.

I too do not know exactly what I would do. But here are the things I would consider before acting. An answer of no ends the evaluation.

Is it really and unambiguously a bad guy? - in the described circumstances, yes.

If a round misses the BG, what/who will it hit. Into the iHop = no.

Do I believe my skills and weapon are capable of stopping him from my position without endangering others. yes or no.
    If no to this, can I improve my position so it is a yes.
    Am I likely to simply be shot if I try to improve my position?

Relative armament. If I expend the rounds on my person, without succeeding in dropping the BG, will I be fairly certain I will die. This is where you get to pick after evaluating your skills and circumstance.

At some point you have to consider the odds of self-preservation. You may choose based on whatever motivation you are experiencing. What happens to your family if you die or are disabled?

Whatever you choice; remember this has to be treated as to the death. No polite "drop your weapon", I can't shoot him in the back, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    I find it difficult to understand how guys (nobody in particular here so don't anyone get panty-twisted) will poo-poo tactical considerations presented by the likes of Gabe Suarez.
    I did a little homework on Gabe Suarez. Apparently he was a 15-year SWAT guy before his back went out. He also has a conviction on fraud charges.

While I can respect his service as a police officer, and while I can (maybe) understand the temptation to defraud "the man" - this isn't someone I'll be looking to for ethics advice as an everyday joe carrying a firearm for self defense.

I am a lifelong firearms enthusiast. I'm an Army Reserve veteran who never saw combat (but always shot expert). And I am a humble NRA-certified instructor.

I am not SWAT. I am not SpecOps. I am not a sniper. Most likely, neither are most of the people reading this post. It is to those people, the everyday-Joes and everyday-Janes, that I gear my instruction.

By all means, if you have SWAT, SpecOps, Sniper, or other such FIRSTHAND training, feel free to disregard my remarks.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Well, just because the guy has some experience doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

If you are not immediately involved in this situation and you decide to involve yourself in it, you are risking a lot, and you may just become another victim to add to the death toll. Think about the Hollywood bank robbery in the 90's with the 2 people with body armor and AK47s. If you were across the street and not involved, but decide your little handgun is going to save the world, you would die as soon as your little bullet bounces off their armor that you didnt know they had, and their 7.62 armor piercing rounds (yes they had those) would rip right through you, when you could have not involved yourself and lived another day.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Banging off shots with a handgun at 100 yards trying to hit a guy with a rifle will just not accomplish anything at best and hit a bystander at worst. One could theorize to cross the distance and engage but dashing into a building with people running from hither to yonder and trying to locate and engage the gunman ... I am not sure if that's a good proposition.

Honestly, I am not sure what I would have done in that situation. Certainly if I'd been in the IHOP and saw the guy walking in and shoot I may have shot back, but I have never been shot at so it's all talk at this point.
    Word, yo. Dat's mah point.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    I find it difficult to understand how guys (nobody in particular here so don't anyone get panty-twisted) will poo-poo tactical considerations presented by the likes of Gabe Suarez. Having said that I don't know how I'd react if at a IHOP like situation, honestly, until I'm in that situation.

For one thing I do not have the upgraded trigger connector, slide/sight arrangement he touts at his online store, etc. Makes me wanna re-think my handgun choice! So, I'm gunna crack open a cold one and, yes, think... ;-)
    I dunno Tuts. I've never heard of the author before so I don't know his background but the whole articl screams Sheapdog! i practice as much as my time permits but a hundred yard shot on a moving target with a hand gun towards an IHOP with people in it? That just sound like an opportunity to be the one that kills the first victim thorough the front windows of the IHOP.

As far as the tactical considerations, I take situational awareness seriously to the point sometimes it pisses the missus off but, I'm not sure, short of the 911 call what I would do but I can darned well tellyou it won't be a 100 yard pistol shot towards a crowded resturant.

So... how much beer ya got?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12