How Cooperative with a LEO is wise? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Cooperative with a LEO is wise?

HK4U,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting those videos.

J

3. My Miranda Card says: "You have the right to remain silent."

My advice is to use that right. I will not say anything more than a basic scenario, "I was in fear of my life, he tried to kill me. There are witnesses here, here and here (pointing to witnesses).

Now I'm going to the hospital and contacting my attorney. I will speak to Investigators 48 Hours later, with my attorney present at all times. If my employer wants to fire me, or subject me to other discipline because I exercised my right to remain silent we can get my job back in a lawsuit. :)

Biker

I have been involved in two shootings. Once, the BG died, one the BG lived.

The first shooting I was in shock... all I said over and over was" "he left me no choice, he was going to kill me" I repeated this over and over and never even gave the officer's my name... they got it from my wallet.

It took me months to carry concealed again.... before I felt like I could handle it... but finally I got over it and carried again.

The 2nd time I said the same thing, followed by I would like to talk to my lawyer now and no one else.

Both times, no charges were ever filed against me... but in VA, it's a pain in the ***** to get your weapon back. I did both times.. but it was frustrating and time consuming...
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    Both times, no charges were ever filed against me... but in VA, it's a pain in the ***** to get your weapon back. I did both times.. but it was frustrating and time consuming...

Hence why I firmly believe that we should own more than one CC firearm. While you're going through the process to get your firearm back, you'll have a spare one that you can use to protect you should the need arise.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

The police are NOT your friend no matter how sympathetic they behave. They are conducxting a criminal investigation and anything you say can be used against you.

Limit yourself to the basic facts that you were the victim, along with name, rank and serial number and be damned sure yu have the telephone number of a GOD Criminal Lawyer. As a CCW holder it's just part of the basic package.

Assure the police you intend to cooperate and will give full and complete account of events, AFDTER having availed yourself of counsel.

It isn't going to take any longer one way or the other. If they are going to take you to the cop shop and "Interview" you then they are.

Ross

Err Glock Fan...
    U write: "Hence why I firmly believe that we should own more than one CC firearm. While you're going through the process to get your firearm back, you'll have a spare one that you can use to protect you should the need arise." Don't know about all 50 states, but I would think that if U lose a weapon to the cops, you also lose your CC permit, or right to carry/use much until those rights are restored, packing after losing one gun may cause you more legal grief if you have to use a BUG or are even found with it than U maybe want to deal with. Any takers to that line of reasoning?

Canis-Lupus

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Err Glock Fan...
    U write: "Hence why I firmly believe that we should own more than one CC firearm. While you're going through the process to get your firearm back, you'll have a spare one that you can use to protect you should the need arise." Don't know about all 50 states, but I would think that if U lose a weapon to the cops, you also lose your CC permit, or right to carry/use much until those rights are restored, packing after losing one gun may cause you more legal grief if you have to use a BUG or are even found with it than U maybe want to deal with. Any takers to that line of reasoning?

Canis-Lupus

I got the advice from the instructor when I took my NV CC class. The instructor was also a deputy Sheriff in Las Vegas. I was told that only the firearms involved in the incident would be taken. If the preliminary investigation doesn't indicate a crime on the part of the CC holder, then they will keep their CC permit and firearms that weren't fired/used in the incident. I was in Las Vegas two days ago and had a chat with the instructor to see if there were any major charges to the laws since June of 2008. He wasn't able to think of any major changes to the law.

I'm currently in Salt Lake City, UT. I spoke with someone at the BCI (the agency that issues CC permits). I was told that the CC holder would retain their permit/license as long as the incident was a "good" one, meaning no crime was committed on the part of the CC holder. The firearm will be retained while they do their investigation (which could take several weeks to months). Only firearms that would be taken by the investigators would be the ones involved in the incident.

As I often mention, check the local laws of where you will be carrying and know the laws before you go there. You may get several different answers if you ask several people, so I strongly recommend getting a name and id/badge number of the people you talk to.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I don't know I can't remember and i forgot , let your lawyer do the talkin remember you were in fear for your life and the safety of others.
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    The following was on the USCCA news letter today. Perhaps it will be of some help.

PART ONE:
    "Don't Talk to the Police" by Professor James Duane

PART TWO:
    "Don't Talk to the Police" by Officer George Bruch

I learned a lot from those videos. If you haven't watched them yet, do so before you carry again.
    Last edited by lukem; 11-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    I have become more optimistic, and now believe that things could get worse.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I was told that the CC holder would retain their permit/license as long as the incident was a "good" one, meaning no crime was committed on the part of the CC holder. The firearm will be retained while they do their investigation (which could take several weeks to months). Only firearms that would be taken by the investigators would be the ones involved in the incident.
    Depending on how the investigation goes, you may be charged with a crime. This could happen even though the evidence may clear you or the case may be dismissed later. Once you are under indictment, would that change the situation for continued carrying(or even possession of your weapons)?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast