When is it legal to brandish a firearm? - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it legal to brandish a firearm?

The question of calling LE is a problem for me. I would have to think it through long and hard before I make the call.
    Each person will have to decide whether or not to make the call. Myself, I'd rather make the call and have my report be the first one, as opposed to the perp calling in a man with a gun report, and me having to defend my position.

YMMV
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

3. It's a good argument Jay.

I'm certainly inclined to make the call. Hopefully I'll never have to.

I just finished my CWP class. in the drills we did we were taught if someone walks on you and demands money or something in a threatening manner, we were to back up as we told them in a commanding voive to walk away. if they still advanced we were to pull our pistol and hold it to our side so they can see it as we continued to retreat telling them to back up and walk away. we were to NEVER point our pistol at someone unless we were 99% sure we had to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If the kid, or his parents, wanted to push the issue, the old man could have been found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon. It is illegal to point a gun at another person. If your state has a citizen's arrest law, may be not. I NC, a citizen has a very limited right to"detain", but can not use lethal or deadly force to effect or enforce this "detainmant". the fact that the would be robber was a minor blows the original scenario completely out of the water. Kids are "hands off" even for LEOs. asault on a minor, illegal detainment of a minor, come to mind. It isn't right, but it is the law. Ought to be able to give them a good beating with a belt, but try that with your own kids now days and see what happens. If a criminal wants to leave, and you cant use nondeadly force to hold him until the calvary arrives, he is free to leave. never try to hold someone at gunpoint until the law gets there. Again, your state may be different, but I doubt it.
    I do not believe that you spend much time in California, or that you are familiar with the gangs and how they operate there. Kids are NOT hands off in that state! No one is. No one is safe in that state!
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 12-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Brandishing

Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    I just finished my CWP class. in the drills we did we were taught if someone walks on you and demands money or something in a threatening manner, we were to back up as we told them in a commanding voive to walk away. if they still advanced we were to pull our pistol and hold it to our side so they can see it as we continued to retreat telling them to back up and walk away. we were to NEVER point our pistol at someone unless we were 99% sure we had to shoot them.
    I prefer Front Sight's method when the decision is made: to go to the ready (gun in front at a 45 degree angle down - not muzzling anyone - but quick to the presentation if the situation advances) in a quick, very visible manner - yelling "back off or I'll shoot". If it settles right there - make the call to the police to report. If it gets ugly: Gun up and two dedicated shots to the thoracic cavity and if necessary - one to the head. The point is pre-determine today where that line is where you make that decision.

The gun down at your side is light years away from being useful and may be taken away from you. Another point: You will only be one-half as good as you are in your training when this happens -- at the side just will not do.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasgun View Post
    I prefer Front Sight's method when the decision is made: to go to the ready (gun in front at a 45 degree angle down - not muzzling anyone - but quick to the presentation if the situation advances) in a quick, very visible manner - yelling "back off or I'll shoot". If it settles right there - make the call to the police to report. If it gets ugly: Gun up and two dedicated shots to the thoracic cavity and if necessary - one to the head. The point is pre-determine today where that line is where you make that decision.

The gun down at your side is light years away from being useful and may be taken away from you. Another point: You will only be one-half as good as you are in your training when this happens -- at the side just will not do.
    Keep in mind that SD situations are not "black and white". There are various methods out there. It's important to learn many methods of SD and figure out which ones work best for you. It's important to train for various situations and train properly.

Whatever you do, don't do what another list member posted in an earlier post on another thread and say something foolish like "we're not going to hurt anyone are we?"

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Each person will have to decide whether or not to make the call. Myself, I'd rather make the call and have my report be the first one, as opposed to the perp calling in a man with a gun report, and me having to defend my position.

YMMV
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that too many would be criminals call the police to report that the person they were trying to rob or assault pulled a gun on them.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

A person calling to report a man with a gun does not have to be identified. Anyone could call a crimestoppers number and make that report.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    A person calling to report a man with a gun does not have to be identified. Anyone could call a crimestoppers number and make that report.
    I suppose that it's possible, what honestly, how likely is that?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

how likely is that?
    Statistically, can't say. I would offer that if you call, you'll have the opportunity to give a description of the perp, and possibly prevent another person from being a victim. I have had the situation come up twice, handled it the same way twice, and the outcome delayed me only a few minutes. You certainly are not bound by what I did. But it worked for me. I'm not trying to convince you of how to handle that situation.... matter of fact, I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with anything like that at all....... ever.
    Last edited by Jay; 12-26-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast