When is it legal to shoot an attacking animal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it legal to shoot an attacking animal?

1. Seems to me the originator did not give us a complete enough story.

A dog growling is not an attack. It may just be a warning to stay away. So if a person tells you to stay away do you think it's okay to shoot him?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Seems to me the originator did not give us a complete enough story.

A dog growling is not an attack. It may just be a warning to stay away. So if a person tells you to stay away do you think it's okay to shoot him?
    The rule of thumb to remember when employing deadly force is a reasonable fear that your life is in danger. A dog's growl, while menacing and perhaps scary sounding, is not, by itself, a deadly threat. That being said, if I saw a scary looking dog (such as a Doberman or a Rottweiler) growling at me, I would definitely draw my weapon in case he decides to charge.

4. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    The rule of thumb to remember when employing deadly force is a reasonable fear that your life is in danger. A dog's growl, while menacing and perhaps scary sounding, is not, by itself, a deadly threat. That being said, if I saw a scary looking dog (such as a Doberman or a Rottweiler) growling at me, I would definitely draw my weapon in case he decides to charge.
    That's pretty much what I would do as well. And always remember that rule of thumb about "reasonable fear" may and probably will be second guessed by police, government attorneys, Judges and juries.

When I took my CCL training the instructor told of an incident where a guy was hiking in the woods. Two dogs came over a hill and he felt threatened. He fired only warning shots and the dogs ran off. About that time the dogs owner came over the hill and raised holy heck, called the law and the guy lost his CCL.

Don't know if I could do it but it might be better to be able to show at least one bite mark.

Just remember the 21' rule... dogs are faster, one should probably consider a 50' rule. They an be on you in a flash, I wouldn't mess around waiting for an obviously agitated and menacing dog that could do me harm to make the first move if it was really close and advancing on me, if I couldn't get away.
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. Whats eating you baby. He killed my toy poodle .Bit me on the leg, got teeth marks to prove it.

There are a lot of wild dogs in many of my favorite hunting areas. There were a few times where my hunting buddies and I came close to having to shoot attacking wild dogs. It's fortunate that the dogs decided to run off once we started loading our shotguns and rifles.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. I would use the same standard against a dog as I would a person in town or a populated area."Am I in fear of my life or serious bodily harm?"

When I'm at the ranch any loose dog is "fair game" to be shot on sight due to the tendancy of dogs to attack cattle, which are a monetary commodity. If the dog has a collar with the name and number of the owner I will then call the local constabulary to issue a citation to the owner of the dog for "Dog At Large" and "Dog Harrassing Livestock." Both are misdemeanors. :D

It depends on where you are, what you may do. Also, I carry a blade and find that if a dog has me in his jaws that the blade is a better option. Just because a dog growls is not justification to shoot it. I've been growled at a lot in my lifetime.

The previous story in NM sounds like the guy was mad because the dogs killed his dog. In short, too much talking when the Police showed up. Let your lawyer do the talking. IMHO, the only thing you need to say is: "I was in fear of my life and had no other options. Here's my ID, there are witnesses located, (point them out), I will be happy to talk with you after I calm down and talk with my attorney and get medically cleared by a physician. I want Medical Treatment now please."

Biker

10. Laws also vary greatly from county to county and city to city with in the same state. Until this year the county in which I live in the state of Washington had no laws regarding requiring dogs to be leashed. This resulted in a lot of shot dogs as there was also no animal control. This has happened in suburan areas near my own house and was in fact lawful. In fact I was very tempted to shoot my own neighbors very aggressive dog. It has charged me a number of times in my own yard last year. I have called the county sheriffs office and they said if I feel threatened I am justified in shooting the animal. I don't want to but I will let the neighbor know if it happens again on my property I will shoot his dog. Best bet is to check with local law on the matter.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

11. Best bet is to check with local law on the matter.
    Correction: Best bet is to check with a local lawyer on the matter.

I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, just someone that has seen the pitfalls of others when they take actions they shouldn't have.

Lots of people consider their pets to be "part of the family". Many people on a jury will have this same belief. Do you want Susie Soccarmom and Joe School Principal having to decide if you did the "right thing"? Clint Smith said it best, "Every bullet you fire has a lawyer attatched to it." I personally want to make darn sure that I have no other options before I shoot.

Biker

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast