When is it legal to shoot an attacking animal? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: When is it legal to shoot an attacking animal?

First Hand Experiance

Just this past summer I was walking my 5 month old German Wirehair and things were good.

Up the block I saw a woman, her child and thier Palmerainian ( spelling sucks.. Small Dog looks like a dust mop ) They were playing in the yard.

I didnt think much of it. Made sure I was on the other side of the street. On the Sidewalk and Copper ( my dog ) was on a tight leash so he could not run over and say Hello much like he wants to do to every dog, person, cat, bird, tree, rock, leaf he sees

Walking along I am constantly correcting him..... " Heal " Stay here....

Minding well he stays on my side and walks with me... And then all of a sudden out of nowhere from about 150 yards away this dog charges...

Teeth and fur was all I could see... like lightning he was on us.....

the woman is yelling.." ELVIS GET BACK HERE... GET BACK HERE.... ELVIS "

Not once lifting her fairly large behind from the Porch mind you.

Well I dont know Palmeranians very well.. but apparently they are the Rici Tiki Tavi of the dog world.

This little bastard was on us like white on rice.

Copper again being only 5 months old was thinking " HOLY CRAP IM GONNA DIE !!!"

I fought off the urge just to stomp a mud hole in this little things ass and seperated them.. admitidly yelled at the woman and went on my way...

When I got home Copper was injured.. to the extent that he needed a few shots...and 4 small stiches.

That made me think...

I called the Sheriffs department explained the sittuation and asked for advice.

Now this is in Michigan..

They explained to me...

That a person has every right to protect themselves and thier pets against any type of animal attack if harm is believed to occure.

And I asked them to clarify.

He went on to tell me.. that when I saw the dog advance.. Seeing him barking growling and snareling.... I would have been 100% within my rights to STOP...( Lets not use the K word... we never want to Kill anything.. we want to STOP it from doing harm ) the dog before he ever got near us.

Thats just my experiance.

Derek

I fully agree with you Derek, but here in Memphis, my first phone call would've been to 911 informing of a discharge of a firearm in self defense. The lady "Not once lifting her fairly large behind from the Porch mind you" would've made her first phone call to the news crews. People love pit bulls around here as status symbols, and they treat them like fighting dogs. I'd draw in an instant if I saw a large dog charging like that. Pomeranians are less than 15 pounds. You'd have a hard time justifying an armed confrontation with an ankle-biter. Could you not have scooped your dog up? Would a swift kick to this dog not have done the same as a double-tap? Situational awareness is always key.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

4. Any animal bite can be fatal. This dog could have aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo74 View Post
    Just this past summer I was walking my 5 month old German Wirehair and things were good.

Up the block I saw a woman, her child and thier Palmerainian ( spelling sucks.. Small Dog looks like a dust mop ) They were playing in the yard.
    I have a Maltese. While taking him on walks I often run into various dogs of different sizes. My dog is very well behaved (for a Maltese) and for the most part follows the commands when given. The larger dogs that attack are hit with a healthy dose of foaming pepper spray, the smallers ones (like the Pomeranian in this case) are punted like a football. I've punted Chihuahuas', Pomeranians', Poodles' and even an Australian Silky Terrier.

We're not allowed to "carry" here in Hawaii, so the pepper spray and sometimes a big stick come in handy. I once was at the dog park and a lady's German Shepherd was fighting with a Pit Bull. The two lady dog owners couldn't get them apart. After trying to shoot them down with a water hose, I resorted to the pepper spray. The Pit Bull then decided to turn to me, at which point he got a swift kick in the ribs. The lady was eventually able to get her Pit Bull back on the leash. She got sued by the owner of the German Shepherd, and in turn decided to sue me for pepper spraying and kicking her dog!

Lot's of "goofy" folks out there. I wish the two dogs were smaller. I've always wanted to see a Pomeranian go at it with a Chihuahua. :D

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I think you would have to use common sense. If it were a chihuhua that is one thing. A pit bull is another. It all depends on the animal.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

And in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

3 Pa. C.S. § 501, KILLING DOGS; DOGS AS NUISANCES

(a) LEGAL TO KILL CERTAIN DOGS - Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

8. First a growling animal is not necessarily an attacking animal.

When I took my CCWL class the instructor gave a specific example which covers this type of situation.

A guy was hiking in a wooded area when two dogs came over a hill growling and fussing, but not actually attacking. The guy fired simply to scare them away, not to kill them. Seconds later the dogs owner came over the hill raising holy hell and called the police.

I don't remember any further details except that the gun owner lost his license.

My conclusion is that you better either have bite marks or some witnesses because otherwise it's your word against his.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    First a growling animal is not necessarily an attacking animal.

When I took my CCWL class the instructor gave a specific example which covers this type of situation.

A guy was hiking in a wooded area when two dogs came over a hill growling and fussing, but not actually attacking. The guy fired simply to scare them away, not to kill them. Seconds later the dogs owner came over the hill raising holy hell and called the police.

I don't remember any further details except that the gun owner lost his license.

My conclusion is that you better either have bite marks or some witnesses because otherwise it's your word against his.
    I think the main reason the gun owner lost his license is because he ended up shooting and killing the owner of the dogs and was convicted of 2nd degree murder, not because he fired a shot trying to scare the dogs off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15199221/

http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

A good backup measure for this is to have a cell phone with a camera on it. Immediately after the incident, you can take pictures or a video of the scene while the gun is still smoking if you feel that it will support your side of the story in court.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

11. They work well in patrol cars. Mount one in your hat. Cellphone on lapel in picture mode. Makes one think.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast