Would you have pulled/used your sidearm in this situation? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Would you have pulled/used your firearm in this case?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 75.68%
  • No

5 13.51%
  • Undecided

4 10.81%
  • I don't carry firearms.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you have pulled/used your sidearm in this situation?

There is no rationalizing with people like this. I saw many opportunities to turn the vehicle into a defensive weapon
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

Would you have pulled/used your sidearm in this situation?

"Rationalizing"...autocorrect struck
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    Rhino, I only saw him exit the right side of the vehicle, which is the driver's side. Was there a time when he was in the passenger side (left) of the vehicle? I must have missed that.
    I don't recall seeing it, but the guy who made the video said he did, so I took his word for it since he was there. Or someone else said it in the narration maybe, but somebody did say he got out of the passenger side once. They also commented about the female being on the passenger side later when the vehicle was moving. But now that you mention it, I think they did say it when he exited on the right, which seems strange. In any case, it's quite clear he was driving, contrary to what wolf_fire was claiming, and that was what I was pointing out.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

5. I would've been ready to shoot if a weapon was brandished from the attacker. I would not have shot him though, not in this situation shown by dash cam.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    As Judge Judy says all the time "if something just does not make any sense, it probably is not true". The idea that this truck guy just picked him out for some kind of "payback" just does not make sense. From what I understand the truck guy has since turned himself in, which tells me that he has a story to tell--won't make much difference, IMO, whatever he says happened before all this started. If he had "attempted to enter my car thru my windshield and cause me imminent danger to my life, I would have shot him point blank until he fell off my car"---Castle Doctrine in South Carolina. Now in Australia things are different SINCE THEY CONFISCATED ALL FIREARMS.
    The guy says that it started when he hit the brakes and the guy rear ended him. Personally, my gun would have been unholstered and I would have been ready to fire when I saw him get out. I think I would have begun firing after he broke the windshield. In South Carolina, justification would hold. We have both a castle doctrine and a right to "stand your ground".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    When he was on the hood, he no longer was armed with the vehicle (therefore unarmed), and if you watched the video the man that was on the hood, was not the driver, therefore he was never armed with that vehicle..

If you are suggesting you should start shooting at the moving vehicle, I would take umbrage with that too.

This victim in the video, IMO, did everything right. He tried to remove himself from the situation at every turn and did it successfully. If at some point he could not remove himself from the situation, my opinion may change. However, that didn't happen, therefore this would just be conjecture.

And reread my post... I never said an unarmed man isn't dangerous. I will say that if my vehicle is running, and I'm in it, and there is an unarmed man punching my vehicle, I will hit the gas pedal and leave like this driver did. I would not pull my weapon on him. The only time I will ever pull my weapon is when I'm prepared to use it. This situation did not, IMO, deserve killing the man on the hood.

I also don't think just displaying a firearm is a bright idea... again, if you pull a firearm, be prepared to pull that trigger. Had this gentleman shot the other guy, I believe he would be the one going to jail.

And again, isn't this Australia?
    When he was on the hood he began to smash his way through the windshield. Given another half second, he probably would have succeeded and killed the weakling behind the wheel.

Who said I was displaying the firearm? I'm in my vehicle and have it on my lap. On my lap is much more accessable than in a holster between the seats. And according to the scenario, I am in a truck. In reality, it would be my Ram. You cannot possibly see what I have unless you are in a semi. I've been a victim of a road rage incident, I had my .40 on my lap the entire time. Only the responding officer and I knew that I had it. Had he pushed the issue and approached with the tire iron again, he would be dead.

The scenario calls for us to make the decision based on us being in our vehicles in our home state, which I did. You just rushed to a conclusion without considering that maybe I know something you don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danfordman View Post
    I would've been ready to shoot if a weapon was brandished from the attacker. I would not have shot him though, not in this situation shown by dash cam.
    What if he had broken through the windshield? In the spur of the moment, you cannot possibly know if he will succeed or not. A bigger man would have punched right through it. I survived some pretty nasty **** in my life, but I would not risk my own life over the misconception that an unarmed man is not going to be enough of a threat to need to use my sidearm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    The question asked was a hypothetical, so the location is immaterial. You'd answer as if you were here, not in Australia.
    The video shows and mentions a woman in the passenger seat while the vehicle was in motion, so the man was the driver, despite the fact that he apparently exited via the passenger side once. Or maybe they were both aggressors.
    As for waiting until he's actually in the act of harming or killing you before drawing your gun, I'll be smart and draw mine before he gets his hands on me. You're welcome to wait until it's probably too late if you want to. You don't wait until a threat is within striking distance until having your gun at the ready unless you're a fool. And being prepared to fire your gun when you pull it doesn't mean that firing it is required every time you bring it out. If you refuse to draw your gun in all circumstances until it's time to fire, there's a high probability you'll get yourself killed.
    Amen. The way that dude was screaming and grunting suggests he was on something. I have a good life and do not gamble with mine the way others do. Waiting until he has his hands on you or has actually broken through is very very stupid. Also, the fact that he knows to use both fists to pound out a smaller area suggests that he has done this before, and that was my first assumption when I saw the video. Kills me to think of my kids crying if I was as stupid as wolf_fire and waited for a rock solid "opportunity" to shoot. And as we are the last known descendants of a bloodline, I choose to draw before it's too late. The mere presence of a firearm is often enough to stop an attack. Since i'm not too into arguing facts proven by decades long studies from reputable sources (FBI, NRA et al.) I will say this now so i don't have to respond later...results may vary. If the presence of your gun is not enough, pull the trigger. That's why it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    He wasn't unarmed. He used a 3-4000 pound vehicle as a weapon then proceeded to smash the window with his fists.

So are you implying that an unarmed man isn't dangerous? Come to my dojo if that's your attitude.
    When he was on the hood, he no longer was armed with the vehicle (therefore unarmed), and if you watched the video the man that was on the hood, was not the driver, therefore he was never armed with that vehicle..

If you are suggesting you should start shooting at the moving vehicle, I would take umbrage with that too.

This victim in the video, IMO, did everything right. He tried to remove himself from the situation at every turn and did it successfully. If at some point he could not remove himself from the situation, my opinion may change. However, that didn't happen, therefore this would just be conjecture.

And reread my post... I never said an unarmed man isn't dangerous. I will say that if my vehicle is running, and I'm in it, and there is an unarmed man punching my vehicle, I will hit the gas pedal and leave like this driver did. I would not pull my weapon on him. The only time I will ever pull my weapon is when I'm prepared to use it. This situation did not, IMO, deserve killing the man on the hood.

I also don't think just displaying a firearm is a bright idea... again, if you pull a firearm, be prepared to pull that trigger. Had this gentleman shot the other guy, I believe he would be the one going to jail.

And again, isn't this Australia?
    Guy was absolutely the driver. You forget that they have right hand drive vehicles down under. If you noticed they were driving on the left hand side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    The man with the road rage was the driver. This happened in either the UK or, as I believe, Australia.
    Guns are not an option for either country as they have been legislated away a long time ago.
    Unless the man being pursued was an active on duty cop even he would not have had his sidearm with him during the event.
    This is what you can look forward to if they manage to get our guns. Violent and aggressive behavior with little means of defending yourself.

ETA: I would have shot him long before he jumped on my hood. This man endangered dozens of commuters trying to evade this loon.
    16 rounds of 175grn Critical Duty would have put an end to this nonsense, that is if it happened here in the US.
    I believe you are correct--the victim of this road rager would not have had a gun. If I did not have a gun I would most definitely used my car and made road kill out of him. My question is if there are not firearms what are the conditions, if they exist, as to a presumption of imminent danger--if you presume that, what can you do? I would assume your only choice is to use your most expedient method of defense--your car.
    While I'm absolutely with you, (I would have ran him down in a heart beat after smashing my windshield), you better hope you had a dash cam like this guy because I think this case would be extremely difficult to articulate in court.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast