The trial of George Zimmerman - Page 9
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The trial of George Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by bigstonebeach View Post
    I have a different take on this situation. Was Travon tired of being stalked and just standing his ground? I am surprised this has not been posited, at least publicly. Another thing - Zimmerman was not a member of a recognized and trained Neighborhood Watch team. His actions, not honoring being told to stand down, show his total lack of training of any kind, let alone showing common sense. Botttom line, there should not have been a loss of life that night.
    Stand your ground laws aren't about being watched. Stand your ground came into affect after the physical altercation took place. So no, Martin could not "stand his ground" just for being followed.

Zimmerman did honor the request to stop following.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    When Posting the transcript, Posting it all lets us see that Mr. Zimmerman stopped following Mr. Martin.

Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. ...
    Zimmerman: Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a
    real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle, um, the best address I can
    give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or
    he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking
    about.
    Dispatcher: OK, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?
    Zimmerman: He looks black.
    Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?
    Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or
    sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible], he was just staring...
    Dispatcher: OK, he's just walking around the area...
    Zimmerman: ...looking at all the houses.
    Dispatcher: OK...
    Zimmerman: Now he's just staring at me.
    Dispatcher: OKóyou said it's 1111 Retreat View? Or 111?
    Zimmerman: That's the clubhouse...
    Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse, do you know what theóhe's near the
    clubhouse right now?
    Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.
    Dispatcher: OK.
    Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.
    Z
    Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?
    Zimmerman: He's got button on his shirt, late teens.
    Dispatcher: Late teens ok.
    Zimmerman: Somethings wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got
    something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.
    Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything ok
    Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?
    Dispatcher: Yeah we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does
    anything else.
    Zimmerman: Okay. These ******** they always get away. When you come to the
    clubhouse you come straight in and make a left. Actually you would go past the
    clubhouse.
    Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?
    Zimmerman: No you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left...uh
    you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. **** he's running.
    Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
    Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.
    Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
    Zimmerman: The back entrance...******* [unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: Are you following him?
    Zimmerman: Yeah
    Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.
    Zimmerman: Ok
    Dispatcher: Alright sir what is your name?
    Zimmerman: George...He ran.

Dispatcher: Alright George what's your last name?
    Zimmerman: Zimmerman
    Dispatcher: And George what's the phone number you're calling from?
    Zimmerman: [redacted by
    Mother Jones
    ]
    Dispatcher: Alright George we do have them on the way, do you want to meet with the
    officer when they get out there?
    Zimmerman: Alright, where you going to meet with them at?
    Zimmerman: If they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the
    club house, and uh, straight past the club house and make a left, and then they
    go past the mailboxes, thatís my truck...[unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: What address are you parked in front of?
    Zimmerman: I donít know, itís a cut through so I donít know the address.
    Dispatcher: Okay do you live in the area?
    Zimmerman: Yeah, I...[unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: Whatís your apartment number?
    Zimmerman: Itís a home itís 1950, oh crap I donít want to give it all out, I donít
    know where this kid is.
    Dispatcher: Okay do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes
    then?
    Zimmerman: Yeah thatís fine.
    Dispatcher: Alright George, Iíll let them know to meet you around there okay?
    Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and Iíll tell them where Iím at?
    Dispatcher: Okay, yeah thatís no problem.
    Zimmerman: Should I give you my number or you got it?
    Dispatcher: Yeah I got it [redacted by
    Mother Jones
    ]
    Zimmerman: Yeah you got it.
    Dispatcher: Okay no problem, Iíll let them know to call you when youíre in the
    area.
    Zimmerman: Thanks.
    Dispatcher: Youíre welcome.
    Bolded the part where he did honor the operator.

That's why those arguments aren't around long. Easily refuted.
    ďOne of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.Ē Ė Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pure speculation on my part, But. I feel as though after Mr. Martin believed he had evaded Mr. Zimmerman he was either looking for an opportunity to break in someones home, or looking for items of value he could easily take from a porch or yard.
    Once Mr. Martin saw Mr. Zimmerman walking down the sidewalk back to his vehicle I have a feeling Mr. Martin thought Mr. Zimmerman had spotted him in the act of "trespassing" and wanted to confront him.
    This is my opinion and speculation only. *Subject to change
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Announced this evening - judge DISALLOWS audio recordings from the incident for both sides since experts cannot agree on who is doing the screaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    If I remember correctly, there is a witness that saw Martin on top of Zimmerman, pounding Zimmerman's head into the pavement. This witness was a homeowner in the enclave.
    There was a long hearing on whether to allow experts to testify who was screaming on the 911 recording. I think it was Zimmerman. If the witness saw Martin pounding him and using his head as a basketball, then why would Martin be the one screaming for help? The photo of the GS wound shows stippling in very tight formation. The shot was made very close.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ought View Post
    If you read the statute, you'll find whomever the initial aggressor was, is irrelevant. The initial aggressor regains his right to lethal self-defense after expressing his desire to disengage (i.e. yelling 'help' for 40 seconds), and if he fears great bodily injury.
    Similar to NY. Once the attack commences there is no duty to retreat. But if he disengages you must let him go unless it poses a grave threat to another. So Martin was required to let GZ disengage and leave.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I don't think it is going well for the prosecution. Despite the prosecutions jump start with opening statements, the non-LEO witnesses have been inconsistent. The "left to right" claim made by the first woman was shown by the defense to be highly suspicious as to its credibility. The second woman said she heard three "pops" and then admitted she was so upset that some of what she said to the 911 operator was just babbling. The third woman seemed to be making assumptions about what she saw based on her believe that Martin was the smaller of the two, a belief she formed after seeing a drawing of Martin.

The defense won't have to call those witnesses liars. It will just point out the mistakes of the witnesses and say their mistakes are reasonable under the circumstances, but they are nevertheless mistakes that prevent the government from proving its case with those particular witnesses. What someone thinks they saw is not reliable enough to convict a person.

Isn't it amazingly sad that even though people are murdered every day in places like Detroit, nobody gives a sh!t unless it's one race killing a different one? If this was two black guys who scuffled and one got killed (daily in Detroit) you'd never hear a word about it. This case is about race... plain and simple. Racist people make me sick, grow up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

It got worst for the prosecution when Martin's phone friend took the stand. She mumbled so much on direct the jury had to strain to understand her.

But on cross, without any egging on, she exhibited an attitude that is certain to cause the jury to disregard her testimony.

At one point she said she was not coming back to testify the next day. I could hear 6 people thinking "We don't want to come back tomorrow either you little brat, but we have to!"

At that point the prosecution stood up and tried to stop the bleeding by saying it would like to continue (thinking, I'm sure, "lets get this disaster off the stand as soon as possible.") The judge terminated the trail for the day.

Six ordinary citizens have gone home tonight dreading tomorrow morning.

It's going to be a long trial and the tide can change, but if the prosecution doesn't win back the jury soon it'll be over before the prosecution's case is over.

My 2 cents...........All the cowboys that CC/OC to protect & defend other than themselves should disarm and go home. NOT hammering on cowboys, most know what I'm talking about. You wanna play Dirty Harry or any other Billy Bad A$$ ya better see what's going on in central Fla.
    IMHO, was the shoot justified? YES Did the events that led up to the shooting was within the confines of FLA Law? NO. He engaged as a Community WATCH volunteer. Did he watch and report or watch and engage? YOU cannot escalate if you CC ONLY protect yourself if you're in fear of your life NOT due to your actions.
    Will this be a travesty of justice, YES. Will justice be served NO. Is Zimmerman liable YES. Again, IMHO. YOU CANNOT BE PART OF THE PROBLEM AND ENGAGE. You have to be an innocent and protect yourself. THAT'S what most State Laws say.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    My 2 cents...........All the cowboys that CC/OC to protect & defend other than themselves should disarm and go home. NOT hammering on cowboys, most know what I'm talking about. You wanna play Dirty Harry or any other Billy Bad A$$ ya better see what's going on in central Fla.
    IMHO, was the shoot justified? YES Did the events that led up to the shooting was within the confines of FLA Law? NO. He engaged as a Community WATCH volunteer. Did he watch and report or watch and engage? YOU cannot escalate if you CC ONLY protect yourself if you're in fear of your life NOT due to your actions.
    Will this be a travesty of justice, YES. Will justice be served NO. Is Zimmerman liable YES. Again, IMHO. YOU CANNOT BE PART OF THE PROBLEM AND ENGAGE. You have to be an innocent and protect yourself. THAT'S what most State Laws say.
    I agree. I'm just giving my take on the trail as a trail lawyer.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I don't know how many of you had the opportunity to watch/listen to the "girl" (she's 19, and was 18 at the time of the shooting) who Martin was on the phone with when it all started, but if I'm a juror, that young umm...."lady," just won the case for Zimmerman. She answered in direct examination from the prosecution that she could identify the voice screaming from a distance on the neighbor's 911 call as that of Martin's, but the end of the day question from the defense was in relation to her deposition with them during which she said something to the effect of, "It could be Trayvon, or it could not be. I don't know."

She also exposed Martin as a flaming racist when she told one of the attorneys (I think it was during direct) that Trayvon answered her question to him about who was following him by saying, "Some creepy-ass cracker."

She lied about her age early-on so as to purposely try to prevent the media from being able to publish images of her or use her real name.

I've been a court-watcher since Court-TV first came into existence (like late 70's/early 80's maybe?), and I don't think I've ever before seen a worse witness for the prosecution who had direct knowledge of events leading up to a killing. She came across as cold, almost uncaring, dishonest, angry over even having to be there, and just downright stupid. What little intelligence she showed herself to possess was employed to come up with a lie about her age to get out of being in the media, and another lie to Mom about why she didn't go to Martin's wake because, she said dishonestly, she had to go to the hospital. She was belligerent and smart-alec in her answers to both sides, but more-so to the defense side.

The defense said they probably had a couple more hours to spend with her tomorrow. If today's testimony is any predictor, that's about how long it will take for her to get Zimmerman acquitted.

*Disclaimer: Nothing said in this post should be taken as me accepting a bet. I don't gamble, and I do what I can to support the pro-gun .orgs that I can support in good conscience throughout the year, not just when some poor shlub is being railroaded by race-baiters and politicos masquerading as prosecutors and judges in Sanford, FL.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast