Homeowner charged with attempted murder. - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeowner charged with attempted murder.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    I somewhat agree with you...but I must ask this question;
    Are not LEO's 'inherently reactive' & more than just a 'bit pre-emptive' in their nature"?

Why are law abiding civilians always held to much higher standard's and 'microscopic-scrutiny' whenever it comes to self-defense scenarios but LEO's are seemingly not held to these same standard's? Where's the 'fairness' in all of this?
    I would have to lower my standards of conduct considerably to get down to cops' level of SOP when it comes to opening fire in so-called self-defense. I hardly think it appropriate to judge this or any other case from the perspective of why or when cops might shoot. I'm not a gambler, and that is the biggest craps-shoot going on in this country these days.

On another note;
    Would you or I have 'preemptively' shot at some shadowy figure standing at a distance behind our fence at night?
    Probably not...
    But we were not there on that night in question and therefore we cannot 'accurately critique' the homeowner's actions.
    However, I do think it appropriate to judge a case based on what us "reasonable" carriers would do in the same or similar situation. While this particular shooter would probably be within his rights in Texas or Alabama, I am fairly certain that Castle Doctrine laws that extend outside of the home to protect property or flight are rare. I like that my state gives me more options than I would exercise in this kind of instance. That means my government trusts gun owners to make the right decisions. However, if they wiped the books clean of all laws concerning the use of deadly force, I would still never shoot someone anywhere, inside or outside, unless I perceived an articulable threat. That threshold is much thinner inside, but having security lighting outside, it would be a very rare case that I couldn't identify an armed threat vs. a prowler or glove-box thief or whatever.

I realize all the facts of this case aren't in, or at least we don't have them, but as far as I can tell, this shooter jumped the gun (no pun intended). And it all depends on NOLA and LA laws concerning shooting to protect property crimes anyway. Doesn't sound on first blush that LA is as trusting of its citizens as your or my state is, Outlaw, and it's incumbent upon citizens who carry to know what conditions they're legally allowed to shoot in.

I most likely would have illuminated the trespasser with my flashlight and yelled out "Who are you!? What the hell are you doing on my property?" Now, if the trespasser simply fled from the scene, I would not give chase and I would immediatly notify the police.

But if the trespasser decided to approach me in a menacing manner in the darkness of night with very limited time & visual's of the trespasser's hand's, then I would most assuredly be prepared to to use deadly force because I would have to assume that the trespasser is a serious threat to me and mine in that moment.
    I have no problem with any of this, except that you don't hold this particular shooter to the same restrained standards you hold yourself to. I get giving the benefit of the doubt, but no one gets more than I allow myself, ya know?

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

And then you're a potential 'Victim'.

And how would you know that the trespasser 'does not' have a criminal record?
    How would you know that the trespasser 'is not' armed with some sort of a weapon in the dark?

Self-Defense 'is' an appropriate response to the 'criminal activity' of trespass/burglary... especially at night!

And since the 'offender' does indeed have a history of trespassing/stealing from people in his past, his criminal history 'should indeed' be admissible!

People/Parent's...Get a damn clue on how to properly raise these wanna-be-gangsta children...
    It's far less dramatic than burying them or incarcerating them imvho.
    Trespass? No defense is needed for simple trespass at all. I merely let the dog out when there's a trespasser. Burglary is an entirely different animal. And no one should be killed unless they make an imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm, which includes home invasion.
    But how do we feel when we find the kid we just "offed" was a mentally retarded teen who thought he was at his aunt's house? Everyone should have a good plan for bad people. But I don't believe shooting first and asking questions later is a good plan. For me? I know someone is out there because dogs are barking, motion lights and cameras are on. If he enters an alarm sounds followed by the first shot. But toher than someone who's intent is to harm you, the lights, signs, dogs and alarms usually send him running. How many of us can afford a $200,000 defense? Gun = tool of LAST resort.
    I think you did hit it on the head about the parents. They have zero clue how to raise kids. Kids are born into entitlement programs with a single parent in the ghetto. There is no parent around cause mom and dad are drunk, stoned or in jail. Eventually the street gets them. The result is 500 deaths in Chicago last year.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

So what is your advice for people who can't afford dogs, alarms, or security lights, or a new car? Too bad for you, poor people don't deserve anything?

From what I'm reading he didn't come out guns blazing...the first thing he did was put up a gate. Then he locked his car door. Then he came outside to see what was happening where the incident occurred. Shooting was far from being the first thing he did.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Said it many times and this case is a perfect example of a gun law on the books in the blessed State of South Carolina. If AT NIGHT AND ONLY AT NIGHT--if you PRESUME someone has committed a felony, you can effect a citizens arrest and if the presumed felon tries to flee and evade your citizens arrest you can USE ANY MEANS POSSIBLE INCLUDING DEATH to thwart the evasion by the presumed felon. How and when this one went into effect I could not tell you but it is the law and it is very very clear with no misunderstandings. In this particular threat all the homeowner had to do was try to effect a citizens arrest and all bets are off after that for literally anything the punk kid decides to do that is anything but obeying the homeowner who is arresting him. FYI: South Carolina Code of Laws--Title 17-Criminal Procedures/Chapter 13-Arrest, Process, Searches and Seizures. Clear as day and backed by case law.
    But it's not automatic. It still means lawyers, grand jury's and possibly a trial. A large price to pay for a trespasser. What was the return on the investment you made in shooting him? To avoid someone outside your home on your property you believe it's worth tens of thousands of $$? And if you're wrong? If your jury contains anti-gunners and liberals? Not for a trespasser. Get a dog. You'll likely chase him out and your home insurance covers the bite.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    So what is your advice for people who can't afford dogs, alarms, or security lights, or a new car? Too bad for you, poor people don't deserve anything?

From what I'm reading he didn't come out guns blazing...the first thing he did was put up a gate. Then he locked his car door. Then he came outside to see what was happening where the incident occurred. Shooting was far from being the first thing he did.
    Everything I've ever learned or been taught about self-defense is to not need it. Awareness and avoidance. Arm yourself. Light him up. Let out the dog if you have one. Lock-in the damn house and call police.
    Regarding those who are ready to fight.. Christ are you guys kidding me? You wonder how anti-gunners are created? How many posters are arguing for the right to shoot trespassers. Just like whitey is afraid of black hoodie, some people are afraid of gun owners being too quick to the trigger. And every time they read about it they're beliefs are enforced and they support the Brady's. Gun rights? Some of these guys are scaring the hell out of people with this stuff. You'll be lucky to keep them for another decade.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

7. The homeowner "thought" he was reaching for something? Not good enough. No matter how long this kid's rap sheet is, this shoot stinks. No gun was drawn or pointed at the homeowner. No imminent danger, even if perceived. I don't know any of the details other than the links provided, and there's always more to these reports that show-up at trial, but I agree with many here; this is not justifiable use of deadly force. And now a kid is brain damaged, physically incapacitated, and will need care the rest of his life if he lives.

This makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Everything I've ever learned or been taught about self-defense is to not need it. Awareness and avoidance. Arm yourself. Light him up. Let out the dog if you have one. Lock-in the damn house and call police.
    Regarding those who are ready to fight.. Christ are you guys kidding me? You wonder how anti-gunners are created? How many posters are arguing for the right to shoot trespassers. Just like whitey is afraid of black hoodie, some people are afraid of gun owners being too quick to the trigger. And every time they read about it they're beliefs are enforced and they support the Brady's. Gun rights? Some of these guys are scaring the hell out of people with this stuff. You'll be lucky to keep them for another decade.
    Truth.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone

If the Friday involved was last Friday July 26 (??) then, depending upon cloud cover in NO there was a bright 3/4 moon up that night.

Most burglars prefer to work during the new moon for the darkness. Course men's frontal lobes don't mature until their middle 20s - that's where decisions are processed...so the kid has very poor decision making skills...

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    It's not those that are fighting for what's theirs that are going to lose our rights, it's those that think the system will fix all the problems that will lose it all for us.

If someone wants to live their life in fear of what anti gun people think, I feel sorry for them, they have all ready lost their Rights.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    You must be so busy investigating!!!

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone
    Nah...I just read the newspaper and watch the news. Plenty of stuff around the blogosphere too. Many sources of out of control LEO on youtube as well. Got a reaction out of you...didn't I? BTW...I suspect you are LEO...what is it with LEO's going around and killing all the dogs nowadays. What are you guys, just a bunch of reactionary dog killers too? Just admit you got a problem in the ranks buddy. I got a beat down by LEO in 1968...I know what I am talking about. Don't come back at me with something like I must have done something to deserve it. If that is your first reaction turn in your gun and badge because you are part of the problem.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast