D1ck Durbin opens committee hearings into SYG - TM's mom testifies….
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D1ck Durbin opens committee hearings into SYG - TM's mom testifies….

ezkl2230 Guest

D1ck Durbin opens committee hearings into SYG - TM's mom testifies….

D1ck Durbin has opened congressional hearings into the SYG laws of the 30 states that have enacted them. According to the blurb on C-Span's web site, the intent of the hearings is to examine "how the 'Stand Your Ground' laws originated, the way these laws have changed the legal definition of self-defense, whether they promote racial profiling," (Senate Hears Testimony Regarding "Stand Your Ground" Laws | C-SPAN).

In his opening remarks to the hearings, Durbin said,

“Whatever the motivations were behind the passage of these laws, it is clear that these laws often go too far in encouraging confrontations to escalate into deadly violence. They are resulting in unnecessary tragedies and they are diminishing accountability under the justice system.

“These stand-your-ground laws have led to increases in homicides and firearms injuries. These stand-your-ground laws have allowed shooters to walk free in shocking situations,” (Senate panel begins reviewing 'Stand Your Ground' laws; Trayvon Martin's mom testifies (VIDEO)).
    His conclusion? The states that have enacted the laws need to "carefully reconsider" them.

Of course, TM's mom is now the poster woman for the anti-SYG movement, and was called in to testify:

“[Trayvon] was simply going to get a drink and some candy. That tells me right there his mentality. That tells me that he was not going to get cigarettes or bullets or condoms or other items of that nature. Trayvon was minding his own business.”

“So I just wanted to come here to talk to you for a moment to let you know how important it is that we amend this stand-your-ground because it did not work in my case. The person that shot and killed my son is walking the streets today and this law does not work. We need to seriously take a look at this law.”
    Durbin has already acknowledged that these hearings will likely not lead to any new legislation. It is just one more instance of politicking ahead of the mid-term election to attract Bloomberg campaign money.

And really, USA Carry? We can't spell D1ck without the name being replaced with asterisks?!

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    And really, USA Carry? We can't spell D1ck without the name being replaced with asterisks?!
    Yes, that's just plain childish. I think we can distinguish between a name and a part of the anatomy, USA Carry.
    FYI ezkl2230, they do not permit the medical term for said part either.

OK, we've heard from Trayvon's mother, now it's only fair that we hear from George Zimmerman's mother.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Yes, that's just plain childish. I think we can distinguish between a name and a part of the anatomy, USA Carry.
    FYI ezkl2230, they do not permit the medical term for said part either.

OK, we've heard from Trayvon's mother, now it's only fair that we hear from George Zimmerman's mother.
    Yeah, not the first time I've run into this kind of thing here.

dstryr Guest
    "These stand-your-ground laws have allowed shooters to walk free in shocking situations"

Can **** Durbin explain why these shooters get a pass? This **** goes unpunished and largely unacknowledged:

9 Horrifying Botched Police Raids - Business Insider

I would have to ask Dumb Turbin, "Why did TM NOT retreat?" If he had then there would not have been any problem. Also Dumb Turbine would also have a hard time retreating if he was on his back with TM on top of him pounding Dumb Turbin's head into the sidewalk!!!

ezkl2230 Guest
    Yeah. According to the "retreat" crowd, since TM was the one being followed and thought himself in danger, he was also the one with the duty to retreat. Instead, he chose to stand his ground.

I guess mom was right after all. SYG didn't work in her case.

Amazing how everything gets turned around, but it also proves what I have said numerous times: the side that FRAMES the debate WINS the debate. So far, the antis have been the ones to frame the debate. We need to turn that around.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

10. The TM case had nothing to do with SYG; the law was never referenced by either side. Only the anti-self defense press & politicians continue to try to make it about that. Mr Durdin's invitation to TM's mom to testify at the hearing is clear evidence of prejudice. His "conclusion" was obviously reached before the dog & pony show masquerading as a hearing began.

His first name is ****--yada yada yada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast