A tale of two self-defense shootings…. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tale of two self-defense shootings….

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Indict them both.
    People need to understand that using a gun in defense is a LAST RESORT. You don't answer the door and then return with a gun. you lock-in and call 911. If he enters do what you must. Mas Ayoob said it best... when you use a gun in self defense, even if you're 100% correct it will ruin your life.
    That's what I thought. If neither suspect was trying to break into the dwelling where was the fear of harm?

3. I believe, with the facts as presented, that both shooters were wrong. Someone outside your home does not present an immediate threat. Call 911 and be prepared if the door is breach. These are two examples of why people need more training. Pulling a weapon is the last resort not the first response. Even when you are in the right and have to take a life, that decision will alter your life and most times not in a good way.

Never understood the concept of going into the dark night to look for zombies, door locked, call police, if you are at my door you walked pass the no trespassing signs clearly posted, anyone breaking or kicking my door in day or night or attempting to harm me or my family assume all civil and criminal liability for their actions (Also posted). Peace, Love, Colt 45.

That Massad Ayoob video shows it perfectly. The gun owners were irresponsible, you don't shoot first, ask questions later. I'm not saying having the firearm ready is a bad idea, just don't use it first.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Just guessing here but the 1st case occurred back in 2001 and the current case happened in 2013. So maybe the laws were different back in 2001 than they are currently.
    The homeowner who shot the female in the face through the front door was charged and I hope he gets to spend some time in jail. I bet ten bucks that homeowner knew he screwed up when he opened the front door and saw the female shot in the face. The only thing he could say at that point was my gun when off accidentally and this is what we call negligent homicide or maybe manslaughter. Either way this homeowner is a complete idiot.
    I am surprised the case in 2001 that the homeowner was not charged but like I said, the laws may of been different back than.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Indict them both.
    People need to understand that using a gun in defense is a LAST RESORT. You don't answer the door and then return with a gun. you lock-in and call 911. If he enters do what you must. Mas Ayoob said it best... when you use a gun in self defense, even if you're 100% correct it will ruin your life.
    "If he enters" are the operative words. Castle Doctrine speaks for itself. You enter my home or my car forcibly (at least in SC) all bets are off as to what I can and will do legally, civilly, morally and any other way you want to define or describe it.

Both cases involve people who were not in danger of serious bodily injury nor in danger of being killed. In conjunction, neither homeowner had reason to believe the other was trying to break in. Yet, in both situations they shot and killed the other person.

I'm not sure why one got convicted and the other didn't. They should both rot in jail.

Of course, the above opinion is based entirely on the short paragraph blurb provided.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12