Flee the scene, don't call 911 yourself, make no statement to the police? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flee the scene, don't call 911 yourself, make no statement to the police?

BC1's advice is right in the x-ring. I believe the NRA curriculum on this is very sound. Do not leave/flee the scene, unless it is clear to you that remaining would keep you in grave danger. If you must leave, call 911 as soon as you are able. Do not tamper with the scene, don't let others tamper with it. Other than stating that you defended yourself when threatened with loss of life/grievous bodily injury, say NOTHING else about your case until you have consulted with your attorney and he/she is present during questioning.

3. Here is some good info from a police officer. Good read.
    Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Seamsealer View Post
    Here is some good info from a police officer. Good read.

Absolute BULL ****
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

It all depends.
    I have seen a few clips were leaving the area was a good idea.
    One was a gas station were a guy was attacked, he shot a bad guy and a number of people came to the station. He was the only white guy. He left and called 911 while driving to a safer location. I believe if he had not left the area he would have been on a morgue slab.
    I believe that is about the time this clip came out.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Here is some good info from a police officer. Good read.
    This guy is way off base. I read until I hit "Dynamics of Encounters - Hold up men target victims on the street in an impulsive, opportunistic manner. They see someone and make a quick judgment call on whether to rob them."
    Mostly untrue. Career criminals can be quite good at their job. They watch, they plan, they act. There is something called an OODA loop to describe the processes. A car-jacker, robber or burglar will generally Observe, Orient, Decide and the Act. He observes the situation to determine a possible target or opportunity. He orients himself to the environment, the people, etc. Based on this he either decides he'll act or not. In the event the timing is right he acts.
    What is being described in the article is a mix of perp types. The mentally ill, tweekers, meth and crack addicts will be more impulsive. They lack impulse control. In many cases a result of the drugs is impairment of the frontal lobe, which controls impulse. The career criminal takes a more professional approach identified by his OODA loop.
    Nothing is better than personal experience but this guy is dead wrong.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

This is a topic that comes up a lot. On Defensive carry.com and THR I've heard input form police officer that have responded to defensive shootings and one thing that they say a lot is that the person that did the shooting (assuming self defense) is usually such a bundle of nerves that they can't get him/her to shut up .

They also say that when the shooter is in blabbermouth mode they tend to get facts wrong or out of order or they (unintentionally) say things that don't match the physical evidence on the scene and that causes them problems.

The most common recommendation is to keep your comments to a bare minimum.

I like what Massad Ayoob has to say on this topic

Make a short victim statement " Officer that man tried to kill me I was forced to fire in self defense."

Point out witnesses "Those people right there saw the whole thing"

Point out evidence " There is the bad guy's gun".

Then shut up " I'm sorry but I'm really shook up right now. I will cooperate fully after I have a chance to speak to my lawyer."

He doesn't say this but I do "If at any time during the process the police read you your rights SHUT UP THEN AND THERE and ask for a lawyer."
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

8. The guy posted his stories as he saw them, he was law enforcement, if I had to guess. One post calls BS and the other one dead wrong. Well, good luck to you guys, I'm out of here, have a great day.

The guy posted his stories as he saw them, he was law enforcement, if I had to guess. One post calls BS and the other one dead wrong. Well, good luck to you guys, I'm out of here, have a great day.
    Certified PP instructors will include more than gun fighting in a PP class. In fact the bulk of the courses include many topics, leaving the fight as the tool of last resort. Most courses will delve into the world of the offender, his motives and methods. Certified instructors are schooled in this area as part of their certification. And then again, some of us grew-up around the hood and saw a lot.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

The guy posted his stories as he saw them, he was law enforcement, if I had to guess. One post calls BS and the other one dead wrong. Well, good luck to you guys, I'm out of here, have a great day.
    I speak 19 languages and hold a Ph.D. in economics, politics, astrophysics, engineering and French Literature.

See how easy that was?
    Barrett Tillman

No need to go away mad. I've seen that article several times. Some of it I'm fine with. But, anytime someone goes into "definites", "absolutes" or makes a lot of broad generalized statements they may get called on it.

Two of the things that I will question (seriously question), are all street encounters happen because a BG makes a snap split second decision. The fact is many, many different things may happen or be considered prior to a BG choosing a victim. There are certain cues that most bad guys (even amateurs), will look for when making their choice. Opportunity is only one of them.

The other big issue is his advice to indicate you have a gun. That could get you instantly killed if the BG already has the drop on you. The correct body language & proper eye contact may be a better "First Choice". There is nothing wrong with indicating you will NOT be an easy mark. but, if a BG has a gun on you and you think you can FAKE them out, you need to understand that it may not work. (So then what?)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast