5 Things Every Reasonable Gun Owner Ought To Know - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: 5 Things Every Reasonable Gun Owner Ought To Know

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    I think with a Glock there is a very good chance of an accidental discharge.

    If a Glock was all that I owned, I would not carry it chambered.

    But a good ole' reliable 1911A1 is completely reliable chambered. You can either cock it and put the safety on, or you can put the hammer down on a chambered load. Either one of those is fairly safe.
    Yet, Tex Grebner shot himself with his 1911 and not with his Glock. The four basic rules of firearm safety do not include an external manual safety.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Yet, Tex Grebner shot himself with his 1911 and not with his Glock. The four basic rules of firearm safety do not include an external manual safety.
    Are you asserting that this Tex G. is the only person who has ever shot himself?

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    States with no duty to retreat are sending a bad message.

    Everyone should always retreat backwards while facing and continuing to watch the opponent.

    Retreating maintains and expands your distance from the threat. Then there are less things that the threat can do to you. And if he is a bad shot he is less likely to hit you the further away you are.

    Retreating shows all the witnesses that you yourself were not hostile. If the opponent advances on you then everyone can testify to this to the police and in open court.

    Retreating is a very good idea. Even Bruce Lee agrees. He writes about this in his book.
    You are sending a bad message.

    There is a reason why there is no duty to retreat. The law doesn't say you should not, it does say you don't have to. In states with duty to retreat, you can be very easily charged with murder or manslaughter if there was a way to retreat but you either decided not to, couldn't based on your own judgement, or weren't aware of it.

    Your reasoning about using an the argument of an advancing opponent after retreat in a court of law is nonsense. Was there a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another. That's the legal judgement.

    As for your noble views on self defense, they are for movies and TV shows. Reality is different.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Are you asserting that this Tex G. is the only person who has ever shot himself?
    You asserted that the 1911 cocked and locked is fairly safe. I just gave you an example that a manual safety has nothing to do with not shooting yourself. It doesn't matter with what gun people shoot themselves with. What does matter is that they violated the four basic rules of firearm safety.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You asserted that the 1911 cocked and locked is fairly safe. I just gave you an example that a manual safety has nothing to do with not shooting yourself. It doesn't matter with what gun people shoot themselves with. What does matter is that they violated the four basic rules of firearm safety.
    People shoot themselves all the time with every kind of gun on purpose and by accident.

    I am asserting that it is more likely to happen with a Glock than with a 1911A1.

    I did not assert that it was impossible with a 1911A1.

    No system is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

    You moved the goal posts. That is a fairly common fallacy and a part of sophistry.

    You think you are smart and clever but you are not at all.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You are sending a bad message.

    There is a reason why there is no duty to retreat. The law doesn't say you should not, it does say you don't have to. In states with duty to retreat, you can be very easily charged with murder or manslaughter if there was a way to retreat but you either decided not to, couldn't based on your own judgement, or weren't aware of it.

    Your reasoning about using an the argument of an advancing opponent after retreat in a court of law is nonsense. Was there a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another. That's the legal judgement.

    As for your noble views on self defense, they are for movies and TV shows. Reality is different.
    Well the only problem with fear is that not everybody is quaking in their boots.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    People shoot themselves all the time with every kind of gun on purpose and by accident.

    I am asserting that it is more likely to happen with a Glock than with a 1911A1.

    I did not assert that it was impossible with a 1911A1.

    No system is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

    You moved the goal posts. That is a fairly common fallacy and a part of sophistry.

    You think you are smart and clever but you are not at all.
    I din't "move the goal posts". You just made an argument that you can't back up with data. I just gave you one opposite data point. Show me data that illustrates that more people shoot themselves with a Glock than a 1911A1.

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I din't "move the goal posts". You just made an argument that you can't back up with data. I just gave you one opposite data point. Show me data that illustrates that more people shoot themselves with a Glock than a 1911A1.
    One data point does not a forest make.

    And yes you moved the goal posts.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    One data point does not a forest make.

    And yes you moved the goal posts.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
    You might want to actually read my posts and try to understand them. I simply gave you an example that shows your post was using the wrong argument.

    What goal post did I supposedly moved?

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You might want to actually read my posts and try to understand them. I simply gave you an example that shows your post was using the wrong argument.

    What goal post did I supposedly moved?
    Do I need to give you lessons on how to read?

    What about how to write?

    I taught those topics at the university level.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast