5 Things Every Reasonable Gun Owner Ought To Know
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Things Every Reasonable Gun Owner Ought To Know

By Marc J. Victor
    As a criminal defense attorney, I have been representing people charged with gun related criminal offenses for well over twenty years. During that time, I have been lead counsel in several hundred gun related criminal offenses including 1st-degree murder, drive-by shootings, aggravated assault, disorderly conduct, unlawful discharge and many more serious felony level offenses. I have represented people in countless misconduct with weapons and prohibited possessor criminal charges as well. In short, I have represented more people than I could possibly count in serious gun related criminal cases in both state and federal courts. There are few ways a person can get into big trouble more quickly than to misuse a firearm.
    The decision to keep and bear arms is a serious one. It is also a decision that necessarily comes with great responsibility. All gun owners are required to know and follow the law. As you have heard many times, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Especially in cases involving firearms, you would be well served to study the law, and to think about its application before carrying, or even owning, a firearm.
    This article is no substitute for studying the law regarding firearms and self-defense. Reading this article will not teach you everything you need to know about carrying or using a firearm; far from it. I recommend that all gun owners take an initial comprehensive gun safety class as well as a refresher class on a regular basis from a qualified instructor. Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. There is no room for error. I have seen many lives changed forever based on an erroneous split second decision or an honest mistake.
    This article is written to offer you some information based on my many years of personal experience representing people charged with gun related crimes. You are not likely to get this information in most firearms classes. If after reading it you become extremely conservative about pulling out your firearm, I have accomplished my purpose. As I often say at the countless legal seminars, I have presented at, “Don’t be an idiot with a gun.” I urge you to be a responsible gun owner and think carefully before you act. Your very freedom could well depend on it.
    Read More:
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/02/...y-gun-america/
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

An excellent article well worth the read by anyone who carries a firearm or has one at home for self defense. I don't agree with the author on one relatively minor point, that being his recommendation to not carry with a round in the chamber due to risk of negligent/accidental discharge. If you follow fundamental firearm safety rules and practices with a mindset that approaches religious zeal (and you absolutely should!!!) the risk of negligent discharge should ultimately be lower than the risk of having an empty chamber when faced with an immediate dire threat. I believe this even when the odds of being faced with such a dire threat are exceedingly small for most people. If you can't get past that, carry a modern revolver. Good training can really help with learning and establishing the proper safety mindset with respect to firearms. It is also certainly well worth knowing and understanding what the law is where you live regarding a negligent discharge. Even if nobody is hurt, or only minor property damage occurs, penalties can be surprisingly stiff, up to a felony as pointed out by the author. Good article, thanks for posting it.

A lot of lawyer BS and asumption that you will be detained/arrested
    I guess I'll scaratch your state from of my travel list
    I have discussed this with my local constable and state police seems I should just stay in my own state where me shooting someone/animal who is a threat is ok and no one is going to jail

5. Quote Originally Posted by nukesdg View Post
    I have discussed this with my local constable and state police seems I should just stay in my own state where me shooting someone/animal who is a threat is ok and no one is going to jail
    I think you are in for a rude awakening if you af facing a situation where you should heed this advice in stead of being mocho for the moment and paying a price for years to come. And what about family, they will be going through this as well. Be smart and stay holstered.

FYI: Marc Victor made a video out of this article. I posted it in this thread: Top 5 Things Every Gun Owner Needs To Know.

Anyone willing to ignore such sound advice should read this thread as a warning: My friend is being held for murder after defending his home

Interesting article, and unfortunately rather self serving and idealistic.

I noted in particular that there are lots of ways to avoid getting punched besides shooting somebody. But then I am used to sparring while most people are not. Keep your distance, in the first place. If someone advances on you in a hostile manner, retreat backwards, keeping your guard up, and your eyes on the perp, and look for a chair you can pick up and use as a shield.

If someone were threatening someone that I loved, I would tackle the perp from the blind side and smash his head into the ground on the way down. Then I would break contact and roll away and then draw at that time. By then he would be dazed and confused anyway by the impact of the concussion.

One thing you cannot do is egg somebody on verbally. Anytime a confrontation starts you need to shut up. Apologizing profusely often disarms any opponent.

I don't think this article was very good at scenarios. All the young buck lawyer does is paint a very bleak picture.

The organization is good -- I would give that part an "A".

The style is garrulous -- I would give that part a "C".

And the content is weak -- I would give that part an "F".

So overall the grade would be a "C" -- average/mediocre for high school and flunking for college level work.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    FYI: Marc Victor made a video out of this article. I posted it in this thread: Top 5 Things Every Gun Owner Needs To Know.

Anyone willing to ignore such sound advice should read this thread as a warning: My friend is being held for murder after defending his home
    What is our civilization coming to when people are too illiterate to read plain English so they need a video instead.

Reading is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by nukesdg View Post
    Exactly right !!

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    An excellent article well worth the read by anyone who carries a firearm or has one at home for self defense. I don't agree with the author on one relatively minor point, that being his recommendation to not carry with a round in the chamber due to risk of negligent/accidental discharge. If you follow fundamental firearm safety rules and practices with a mindset that approaches religious zeal (and you absolutely should!!!) the risk of negligent discharge should ultimately be lower than the risk of having an empty chamber when faced with an immediate dire threat. I believe this even when the odds of being faced with such a dire threat are exceedingly small for most people. If you can't get past that, carry a modern revolver. Good training can really help with learning and establishing the proper safety mindset with respect to firearms. It is also certainly well worth knowing and understanding what the law is where you live regarding a negligent discharge. Even if nobody is hurt, or only minor property damage occurs, penalties can be surprisingly stiff, up to a felony as pointed out by the author. Good article, thanks for posting it.
    I think with a Glock there is a very good chance of an accidental discharge.

If a Glock was all that I owned, I would not carry it chambered.

But a good ole' reliable 1911A1 is completely reliable chambered. You can either cock it and put the safety on, or you can put the hammer down on a chambered load. Either one of those is fairly safe.

States with no duty to retreat are sending a bad message.

Everyone should always retreat backwards while facing and continuing to watch the opponent.

Retreating maintains and expands your distance from the threat. Then there are less things that the threat can do to you. And if he is a bad shot he is less likely to hit you the further away you are.

Retreating shows all the witnesses that you yourself were not hostile. If the opponent advances on you then everyone can testify to this to the police and in open court.

Retreating is a very good idea. Even Bruce Lee agrees. He writes about this in his book.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast