Florida "Castle Doctrine" Law works! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida "Castle Doctrine" Law works!

1. Colorado has similar laws. Hope I never need it, but #2 buck in a 12 gauge will stop most people.

i wish ny did even defending yourself from deadly force you can be in trouble.

I don't believe he did it. He wasn't the type to get in trouble. He got along with everybody," said Tomlin's cousin, Kena Robinson, 30. "Whenever he wasn't at home watching my kids, he was at the labor pool."
    Nope, he wasn't the one in the house dead, aliens replace the real intruder with his body. One comment about the castle doctrine law. Even in a case like this the family could sue claiming that it did not apply here. Once the prosecutor rules in his favor it is pretty much over. There would be little chance of them winning and in fact could have to pay the expenses of the defendant for defending the case in the end. You can bring suit for anythng but that does not mean you can win.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Nope, he wasn't the one in the house dead, aliens replace the real intruder with his body. One comment about the castle doctrine law. Even in a case like this the family could sue claiming that it did not apply here. Once the prosecutor rules in his favor it is pretty much over. There would be little chance of them winning and in fact could have to pay the expenses of the defendant for defending the case in the end. You can bring suit for anythng but that does not mean you can win.
    Although it is correct that a suit can always be filed, the "is immune from civil suit" portion of the law seems to hold some bearing to Florida attorneys as I cannot find any evidence of any wrongful death suits in accepted "castle doctrine" cases being filed in Florida, and we all know that attorneys will file anything if they think they have a chance.

I used the castle doctrine to defend myself against someone's loose running dog and had no legal recourse. I was walking down the road with my dog, which was on a leash. someone's rotty jumped the fence and ran after us. I sped up my walk but gave up realizing when it got there it was likely to attack either me or my defenseless dog. I drew my pistol and fired 4 rounds, hitting it 3 times.

The police arrived, spoke with the very angry owners (had to load in my spare mag and go hide out until the police arrived!) and myself, disarming me of course. In the end, they gave me a ride home with my dog and handed me back my unloaded pistol, and had me fill out a report. It was self defense.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Although it is correct that a suit can always be filed, the "is immune from civil suit" portion of the law seems to hold some bearing to Florida attorneys as I cannot find any evidence of any wrongful death suits in accepted "castle doctrine" cases being filed in Florida, and we all know that attorneys will file anything if they think they have a chance.
    Since most wrongful death cases are handled on a contingency basis (the lawer only gets part of the settlement) unless it is an unusual case a lawyer isn't going to take it. Consider that most of these cases would involve families with no way to pay the lawyerif they don'w win and even more that they may have to pay the defendants expenses. Once the act is ruled in favor of the shooter by the state is it going to be very hard to win in civil court. As you say I haven't heard of a case where suit was brought in one ruled "Castle Doctrine" but I suspect there will be one. The "Castle Doctrine" hasn't been around long enough in most states to say one way or the other. Let's just say that we all have seen enough WTF lawsuits filed and won to not rule out anything.

Orange County/Orlando

In the last 6 weeks three BGs have been shot dead while trying to make their business model work.

In one, somebody went into a convenience store to buy some cigarettes. On his way out, he noticed several suspecious types, and went to his truck to get his cell phone to call 911. Just as he did that, the clerk started screaming. He grabbed his .40, and while talking on the phone to 911 came into the store and saw a thug trying to bash the brains out of the clerk with a beer bottle. Two shots, crime career ended. The cops had the 911 and the store tapes to show what had happened, and never interviewed the shooter.

3 days later, two guys - one with a shotgun - tried to rob somebody washing their car. The victim pulled his pistol, and shot the thug with the shotgun dead. No charges.

Late last week some thug tried to burglarize a home in broad daylight in the afternoon. The owner's son shot the fool dead in the front yard. No charges.
    Orlando, FL

9. That's why I love Florida...at least for this reason.

SC also has a castle doctrine law. Glad to hear the law working FOR the people, not against.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Found this as a follow-up: Video
    Glad to see the media recounting the events accurately and not protraying the homeowner as a "gun-toting, right-wing extremist". Then again, MSNBC hasn't touched it yet. Nor Diane Sawyer.... what would she say now "If I only had a gun..." ?
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast