Is cocaine the same as a gun?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is cocaine the same as a gun?

Is cocaine the same as a gun?

I really don't know what to say about this and it really isn't gun related except for the comment comparing it to a gun. Just thought I would see if anyone else wants to comment on the entore situation.

Mother, grandmother arrested after 4-year-old eats cocaine | SCNow

The mother and grandmother of a 4-year-old Darlington girl were arrested Tuesday after the child ate cocaine from a bag she found in the suspects’ home, Darlington County Sheriff’s Capt. Andy Locklair said.

Jessica McKnight, 21, and Dorothy McKnight Green, 51, both of 123 Robin Lane in Darlington, are each charged with one count of unlawful conduct toward a child, Darlington County Detention Center booking reports show.

The S.C. Department of Social Services received an anonymous tip that the girl found a baggy of cocaine in the home and started eating from it, Locklair said.

Authorities performed a hair follicle test on the child and found cocaine in her body.

Darlington County sheriff’s deputies began investigating the incident in February after DSS case workers contacted them, Locklair said.

The 4-year-old and a 1-year-old child who was also living in the home were placed in emergency protective custody. The younger child didn’t test positive for cocaine, Locklair said.

The 4-year-old wasn’t injured, Locklair said.

The two women were arrested Tuesday after deputies completed the investigation, he said.

“This is no different than having a loaded gun laying out and a child getting hold of it,” Locklair said.

A very small amount of cocaine can be deadly to a 4yr. old. His parents need to be put under the jail Cocaine can certainly be deadly but I think a gun in the hands of a child can be even deadlier. Ingesting cocaine can certainly kill the child but a loaded gun in the hands of a child could potentially up the chances of more than one person dying.

This topic can be heavily debated in many ways. Cocaine and a loaded firearm are both EXTREMELY DANGEROUS in the hands of a minor. What can be even [B]DEADLIER[B] as well as more common would be a book/box of matches or household cleaners. What Cpt. Locklair fails fails to mention that there are more homes that have household cleaners and matches than do "loaded guns".

Having children in the home is a VERY BIG responsibility. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the adults in the home be responsible and PROPERLY SECURE anything that can be dangerous to the children.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    This topic can be heavily debated in many ways. Cocaine and a loaded firearm are both EXTREMELY DANGEROUS in the hands of a minor. What can be even [B]DEADLIER[B] as well as more common would be a book/box of matches or household cleaners. What Cpt. Locklair fails fails to mention that there are more homes that have household cleaners and matches than do "loaded guns".

Having children in the home is a VERY BIG responsibility. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the adults in the home be responsible and PROPERLY SECURE anything that can be dangerous to the children.

gf
    And Kitchen Knives
    And Gasoline
    And Anti-Freeze
    And Raid
    And Rat Poison
    And Car Keys
    And Bleach
    ... I could go on.

Teaching your childrena about guns, is just like teraching them about everything else in the house that could kill them.

Cocaine??? Um... that too.

JeffWard

6. Either way they are both very stupid to give to child that young. They deserve to go to prison for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    I'd have to say that there is a hugh difference between cocaine and guns. I know people who own guns who are responsible people. I don't know anyone who keeps cocaine in their house on a regular basis who is a responsable person.

I'm not much for the state interfering in family affairs. I would accept this intrusion only in extreme circumstances. This would be one of them. I cannot abide FOOLS!

Cocaine and guns? The analogy doesn't hold up for me at all...

The only way I see there being any equivalence is if children are in the home. I have loaded guns in my home but no kids. And if anyone with children ever visits I unload them and lock them away. Obviously, leaving a loaded gun where a young child can get it is just as irresponsible as leaving cocaine lying around. But possession of a gun in and of itself is not felonious whereas cocaine possession certainly is. The statement by the person in authority was meant for maximum shock value.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

"I'll take "Activities most normal folks would consider dangerous" for $1000 Alex"..

Leaving your child loose in a running automobile.
    "What is dumb Alex?"
    "Yes."

Leaving a loaded gun unattended within reach of anyone.
    "What is irresponsible Alex?"
    "That's right."

Trying to make Mr Fork and Mr Outlet play nice together.
    "What's just plain stupid Alex"
    "Very good"

Leaving a bag full of illicit drugs just lying around the house with children 4 years of age or under present.
    "What is an accident waiting to happen Alex?"
    "Sorry no. It's considered normal behavior for drug addicts"...

Ok. Ok. Got carried away there, but I think I agree with the comparison. The only difference I see is the potential danger is to the innocent child with the cocaine. If it were a gun perhaps the child could shoot the irresponsible gun owner who left it lying around. I'd consider that a painful reminder...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

No. A gun can save your life. Cocaine will eventually end your life.

MWD
    Right Arm of Wyoming - RKBA rock and roll.
    http://www.rightarmofwyoming.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast