.45 too much for home defense? - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 135

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    105
    well the way i see it, dress for success. if i can take one shot and end the threat then id rather do that as opposed to having to take more than one shot and raising the risk of shooting something that wasnt an inteded target. theres nothing wrong with carrying a .45.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by fredmaidment View Post
    If I fire my weapon, my intent is to kill my target, be it paper or flesh. People have been poisoned with the TV idea of "shoot to kill." If you're shooting, you're trying to kill. Period.

    "Overkill" is bull$#!t. I sleep with a .45 under my pillow. If someone busts into my room, I want to make damn sure that if I get the first hit, they don't get another chance to fire.

    Period.
    Just don't say that in court...

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    103
    I tried everything until I found what was comfortable and effective. They all can stop a perp if used correctly. I carry a .45 because I like the fire power. If I have a drugged nucklehead coming at me, I wat to be sure he's going down.

  5. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Uhhh . . . No it won't. I agree with everything in your post except this.

    Newton may be dead, but his Laws are still in effect. IF a .45 had enough power to knock a man down when hit, it would also have enough "Equal and Opposite" energy to knock down the Shooter! Obviously, this rarely happens.

    What you may be witnessing is the involuntary muscle reflex of someone who, instantaneously reacting to the act of getting shot, his muscular recoil response - in trying to recoil from/avoid the hit - involuntarily throws himself to the ground, albeit a bit too late.

    IANAS ("Scientist"), but from what I've read on the subject, that's my take. Open to argument to the contrary.
    Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to give you a hard time...just correct a common misconception. When Newton referred to "Equal and Opposite" he was talking about momentum not energy. The aggregate momentum of the bullet and the expelled gasses are, in fact, exactly equal to the recoil momentum imparted to the gun and the shooter. However, the muzzle energy and recoil energy are dramatically different. Momentum is simply M*V while energy is ((M*V)^2)/2. You may want to use the ballistics calculator program that I wrote which is included in the RESOURCES section of this site. This is a common mistake so don't feel bad.
    MOLON LABE

  6. Quote Originally Posted by devildave31 View Post
    I saw something in a forum on another sight that got me concerned. Someone mentioned that (in his/herstate?) using a .45 even to defend your home can be used against you by the law, because it can be considered overkill and you could be charged with aggravated assault because you selected a gun with the intent of doing the most damage or quickest kill. I could see where an anti-gun court might use that to paint you as over aggressive, but otherwise is there any legitiamcy to this concept?
    As long as your weapon is legally purchased according to your state, the caliber of the weapon use to defend you and your family is irrelevant. I don't know each states laws so i could be wrong, but i never heard of such a case.

    I have a Glock 36 (45 Cal) handy in my home, i use flat head rounds, their not hollow points so their legal to carry, the flat head keeps penetration to a minimum... because i live in a city neighborhood, i don't want my rounds going threw walls/doors. I also have a Glock 29 (10mm) for back-up, and a Mossberg 590A1... 9 shot loaded with the first two rounds Birdshot, two slugs, two buck, and side saddle filled with buck.

    Never use the words ....I INTENDED TO KILL... in court.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    As long as your weapon is legally purchased according to your state, the caliber of the weapon use to defend you and your family is irrelevant. I don't know each states laws so i could be wrong, but i never heard of such a case.

    I have a Glock 36 (45 Cal) handy in my home, i use flat head rounds, their not hollow points so their legal to carry, the flat head keeps penetration to a minimum... because i live in a city neighborhood, i don't want my rounds going threw walls/doors. I also have a Glock 29 (10mm) for back-up, and a Mossberg 590A1... 9 shot loaded with the first two rounds Birdshot, two slugs, two buck, and side saddle filled with buck.

    Never use the words ....I INTENDED TO KILL... in court.
    Two questions:

    1. Where do you live that has made it illegal to use JHP ammo in a carry gun?

    If that's what has happened, I'd find the softest lead factory loaded SWC's (pure lead would be very nice but a 20:1 alloy would work fine) I could get my hands on. Why? Because a SWC cuts a very clean hole and the soft lead is gonna expand, making that clean hole bigger.

    2. What's a 'flat head' bullet?

    I've been a life long firearms enthusiast and have been reloading for almost 20 years now and I've never ran across the term.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Two questions:

    1. Where do you live that has made it illegal to use JHP ammo in a carry gun?

    If that's what has happened, I'd find the softest lead factory loaded SWC's (pure lead would be very nice but a 20:1 alloy would work fine) I could get my hands on. Why? Because a SWC cuts a very clean hole and the soft lead is gonna expand, making that clean hole bigger.

    2. What's a 'flat head' bullet?

    I've been a life long firearms enthusiast and have been reloading for almost 20 years now and I've never ran across the term.
    I'm sorry for the ammo slang, there actually FEDERAL PREMIUM 45+P 200 grain expanding full metal jacket (left overs). I've switch a few years ago to Double Tap Ammo, my 45 cal are 230gr FMJ 1010fps

    My 10 mm ammo is 230 gr precession LFP 1125 fps

    I also used 10 mm 135 gr hollow point 1600 fps

    DoubleTap Ammunition


    My location is classified... lol east coast

  9. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA
    Posts
    8,532
    They're not called "flat head" bullets.They are simply FMJ or lead rounds that are flat nosed, instead of round nose.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

  10. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA
    Posts
    8,532
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    We shoot to STOP the threat - not to kill or wound or anything else. We shoot center of mass because a head shot is shooting to kill and a knee cap is shooting to punish. When the threat is over you stop shooting.
    You say "we" shoot to STOP the threat- not kill or wound or anything else. I'm certainly not one of those "we" that you're referring to. I hope that I never have to defend myself with my carry weapon, or my shotgun for home defense, however I will say this...I will never shoot anyone that I don't intend to kill, period. If it goes to a jury, I will say that I shot the BG to protect myself from being killed, period. If you tell a jury "anything else", such as ...I just intended to stop or wound the BG, it's highly questionable that you're life was, IN FACT, in danger.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

  11. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    339
    .45 is my choice for personal defense, both in and out of the home.
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast