.45 too much for home defense? - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

a dead body cant testify. and in any of the castle doctrine states you can smoke the bastards in your home. its our right to protect our homes and family. this includes while our vehicles as well.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

3. Many documented shootings where the 45 ACP failed.Texas DPS tried to fix the problem with the issued Sig 220 by switching to different weight bullets without success.Shot placement, center mass with a cranio hit should save your life.Many movies, magazine articles love the term knock down power.In a real life shooting point blank a trooper shot a guy in the chest center mass,the trooper was lucky it was day light with plenty of good samaritans that stopped to help.The bad guy after being shot tried to pull the gun away from the trooper but instead fled on foot with his baton.He was chased by a few people and was tackled to the ground.The after math was the guy died at the scene.It just happens the troopers in NY switched to the 45 GAP because the 9mm did not have any knock down.Even after a proper shot placement this guy tried to kill the trooper but ran off because he was scared off by the mob of people at the scene.The big 45 caliber Gold Dot did not exit so all its energy was dumped into his chest cavity.I would not hesitate to keep a 45 GAP or 45 ACP for home defense because they won't over penetrate.I like the Glock 20 with 15 rounds of 135 grain Double Taps.The 45 caliber is not a bad choice for personal defense.Many people carry a 45 caliber handgun because they once herd a story from a friend or relative how powerful the 45 ACP 1911 is.

What the heck lets start the debate one more time ... ...

1.) I know there are millions of people that love their .45 ACP and think there is nothing that can beat it ! I respect that, you all bought a 1911 thinking its the best, I can respect that too ! At the same time I don't think a .45 ACP is the Jesus of all pistols. The .45 ACP has a good reputation for performance. The more energetic loads in the cartridge have the potential for remote wounding effects known as hydrostatic shock, but most attribute the effectiveness of the cartridge to large diameter bullets and reliable penetration.
    .45 Speer Gold Dot 200 gr. 1080 FPS / 518 FT*lbs

Now take a .357 Mag ... ... Speer Gold Dot 158gr. 1400FPS / 688 FT*lbs

Is the Three-Five-Seven going to produce more Hydrostatic Shock, with more penetration .... Duh !!! Y E S !

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    This shocked me for a minute, until I recalled an article I read by Massad Ayoob where he mentioned prosecuting attorneys drawing out the word "magnum" to be more like "maaaaagnummm." to give it extra punch in front of a jury.

Bottom line? No, I don't think a .45 is too much. I don't think anything smaller than a .50 BMG or 20mm Vulcan is "too much." I use a .45 for both home protection and CCW. I *want* the most effective tool for the job - I want to end the threat - NOW. I will worry about prosecuting attorneys and juries *after* I survive the encounter.
    A Vulcan mounted in your bedroom not a bad idea, except you dont want to shoot the people 2 streets over, but at least the bad guy would be fish food for sure

And besides that, a 40 or 357 with hot stuff in it has got more punch than your standard 45, round

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    And besides that, a 40 or 357 with hot stuff in it has got more punch than your standard 45, round
    + 1

A hot .357 will exceed a hot .45 is terms of FPS and Ft*lbs and penetration. Nothing personal all you 1911 lover's there are better rounds than the ole' slab side.

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    I just received this from a friend in Texas.

It answers why a 45, and also some info on shotgun use.

Things that I found helpful by living this long. --Don—

The purpose of fighting is to win..

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either... The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2.. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

7. Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, it can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.
    Heard all that before ...... BUT .... it's still good !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I disagree, we meet deadly force with deadly force and are specifically allowed to do so for good reason. They are not showing mercy or restraint and as such neither do they deserve it from us.

Barring a complete shutdown of the central nervous system, you are not assured the threat is over. So a shot through the spinal column or a head shot are the only way to instantly end a deadly threat. Even a shot through the heart doesn't guarantee immediate incapacitation, there is still enough oxygen in the brain for it to function for a short time.

I'm going for the head if given the chance.

Well now ..... I'm sorry jury ...... I was aiming at his chest when I fired that first round and hit ' em in the head, I guess I'm not a very good shot after all ... ... I was about to piss myself, the guy was 6' 7" charging at me with a knife screaming I am goimg to kill your AZZ dead, maybe I was shaking a little (he he he ha ha, under my breath).

10. .45 Too much for home defense? Really?

This is amazing to me. To even suggest that if someone breaks into my home that I have to be careful on what weapon I sellect to defend me and my family. As far as I am concerned if a law abiding citizen wants to defend their home with a tank then so be it. I guess the maggot that broke in picked the wrong house. As far as I am concerned all the liberals in Washington need to remember this: "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!"

JSDinTexas Guest

Just kill 'um once

I remember a cop friend of mine who carried a Glock 10mm with modified HP say, "I just want to have to kill them once."

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast