.45 too much for home defense? - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Somewhere, there's a ballistics study where they used live goats as the surrogate BG. If you want to go for the quickest kill, a .357MAG killed faster, at least in that study, not trying to start a pet caliber flame war or anything, than the .45ACP. So, if someone were to pull that "You're just bloodthirsty, on account of your big gun." B.S. in a court, I'd have no choice but to trot that little factoid out.

Right after that, I'd respond with "Every time I've pulled by personal protection sidearm, it has been with a single goal in mind, to end the danger, to stop the threat. If that threat stops after I've pulled my sidearm, but before I've fired a single shot by my assailant throwing down his weapon and running away, then my sidearm will have done its job. If the threat only ends after I've been forced to empty an entire magazine into my assailant because he hasn't been knocked to the ground and lost his weapon yet, then so be it. I never shoot to kill. I shoot to stop. Every time, bar none."

It's not shoot to kill or shoot to live. Those things are just for court room theatrics. Everywhere and all the time, it's shoot to stop.

I agree ..... the .357 is more of a one-shot stopper then a .45 because a .357 imparts more hydrostatic shock.

READ and take note of section titled "Energy transfer required for remote neural effects" >>> Hydrostatic shock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <<< then compare the following loads.

.357 mag ... ... 158 gr. Gold Dot @ 1400 fps = 688 ft*lbs of energy

.45 ACP ... ... 200 gr. Gold Dot @ 1080 fps = 518 ft*lbs of energy

.40 S&W ... ... 165 gr. Gold Dot @ 1150 fps = 484 ft*lbs of energy

.380 + P ... ... 90 gr. Buffalo Bore Gold Dot @ 1200 fps = 288 ft*lbs of energy

3. This was a test done in France in 1992 on goats The Magsafe and Glaser were the best choices for rapid stops.The 9mm+P+ 115 was a good stopper with better results than the 45 ACP.Ball ammo was very poor,heavy slow moving bullets did the worst in times to incapacitate the goat's.Fast high velocity bullets were found to be the best choices for a self defense handgun.The 357 mag 125 grain was the best performer.The goats used were said to have been shot in the vitals which would give the closest results to shooting humans.This test proved that the heavy 9mm147 grain was a poor stopper which was being used by most police agencies at the time.

for me, the .45 is a great round. its been carried into battle by our boys from the first world war up through vietnam, and is still being used by some US forces today. if our boys had trusted their lives to it through many wars when they had to, than its good enough for me. and if i feel i need more, i'll switch over to my .50 magnum.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    for me, the .45 is a great round. its been carried into battle by our boys from the first world war up through vietnam, and is still being used by some US forces today. if our boys had trusted their lives to it through many wars when they had to, than its good enough for me. and if i feel i need more, i'll switch over to my .50 magnum.

Granted ... ... the .45 has been around a long time and I don't think any one is saying a .45 is a bad choice !

And, with the new loads and bullet types available today we are just saying ballistic tests prove there are better rounds then the ole' slab side.

You need to check out the ammo from Buffalo Bore, they can turn a .45 into a mean Mother-hummer with over 1,000 ft*lbs. of energy.

6. Double Tap makes hot ammo in 50 round box for about the same as the 20 round box of Buffalo Boar.I like the bonded ammo,the 10mm 135 grain is a super hot round.

7. Quote Originally Posted by devildave31 View Post
    I saw something in a forum on another sight that got me concerned. Someone mentioned that (in his/herstate?) using a .45 even to defend your home can be used against you by the law, because it can be considered overkill and you could be charged with aggravated assault because you selected a gun with the intent of doing the most damage or quickest kill. I could see where an anti-gun court might use that to paint you as over aggressive, but otherwise is there any legitiamcy to this concept?
    Overkill? No, I'm just getting started with a .45. That's pretty much the smallest handgun I carry. Having said that, I don't think a handgun is a good home defense tool. I prefer and recommend a shotgun or rifle. Handguns are fine for being in public, though. I would never allow a prosecutor to try entering evidence saying it is overkill. That may work in some jurisdictions, but not in Florida.
    "Defending Those that Defend Themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
    Overkill? No, I'm just getting started with a .45. That's pretty much the smallest handgun I carry. Having said that, I don't think a handgun is a good home defense tool. I prefer and recommend a shotgun or rifle. Handguns are fine for being in public, though. I would never allow a prosecutor to try entering evidence saying it is overkill. That may work in some jurisdictions, but not in Florida.
    I agree with you Buckley. I have my .45 on my nightstand. Mossberg 12 gauge in my wife's (she has dibs on the Mossberg) closet. But if I have time, I will go to the safe for one of my AR-15 carbines. And I practice at the range with all of my weapons and often. As does my wife. She loves to shoot her pistol grip 12 gauge.

From devildave31's comments, does anyone know if there are states that do limit what you can own and use in your home for defense, particularly the more common types of arms like shotguns, big caliber handguns or even easily purchased semi auto rifles. I do not know the answer but there may be some validity to the common view on many of these posts that each state has their own rules and you had better know them where you live.

10. I know for many years I couldn't carry a 45 cal weapon off duty because my chief assumed it was over kill.I was allowed a 10mm because the FBI adopted it back in the late 80's .Most police officers know nothing about guns.

11. any gun can kill with one shot but i also prefer my xd45 as my carry gun and home defense gun along with my 12ga. shotgun for home defense loaded with 00buck.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast