.45 too much for home defense? - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

Tennessee also has the Castle Doctrine. And two RINO Senators, but that is for another thread.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

3. The "too large a caliber" argument is a scare tactic of the extreme left. One can use the argument that you chose a .25 acp to not defend, because a .25 is much too small to be "effective", but instead to maim and injure. They could paint you as a sadistic crazy, intent on causing pain and suffering because you were not using a caliber large enough to justify self defense. Bottom line, using a gun in self defense means neutralizing a grave threat immediately, I would use whatever I had at my disposal.

4. South Carolina has the Castle Laws in place also.

I sleep with my 12ga next to my bed and my .45 on my night stand.

I carry in my vehicle my mostly my 9mm. Cause more ammo less mags to carry.
    SC GrassRoots Member.

Exclamation Home defense is an artform

I have the shotty. The first and hopefully last sound in my house after breaking glass is hopefully the rock solid kershack kershack of a mossberg 500. that will hopefully entice the BG to leave post haste. If they get past me they still get the dog and the wife. The wife will have my usp 45 in the bedroom with her. We have a plan. We will not go quietly into that good night.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Memories...

Quote Originally Posted by spf159753 View Post
    Yes,but it's hard to radio in a target solution when your standing next to,and holding the Lanyard. LOL !!!!!
    Battery Adjust, Number Three 1 round. Shell HE, Charge 5 White Bag, Fuze quick. VT in effect.

Ok. So I admit that I miss firing 200 lb "bullets" several miles.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." ~ Mark Twain

And back on topic..

Home Defense weapons are, in order of preference, my Mossberg 500 followed by my XD .45 tactical, followed by my other XD .45. They still limit the number of rounds per magazine here in California so I convinced myself that another Springfield purchase was justified.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spf159753 View Post
    When it comes to self-defense,nothing is too powerful.
    Try staying alive first,then deal with court later.
    Training,practice,mind set.
    Shot placement is paramount.
    A hit with a .22 is better then a miss with a Howitzer.
    Yes sir. But a miss with a Howitzer will scare the he!! out of them....

Quote Originally Posted by devildave31 View Post
    I saw something in a forum on another sight that got me concerned. Someone mentioned that (in his/herstate?) using a .45 even to defend your home can be used against you by the law, because it can be considered overkill and you could be charged with aggravated assault because you selected a gun with the intent of doing the most damage or quickest kill. I could see where an anti-gun court might use that to paint you as over aggressive, but otherwise is there any legitiamcy to this concept?
    Is a .45 considered overkill? Compared to what?

In Texas we also have the Castle Doctrine. Another good reason to live in Texas!

As of December 31, 2008, there were ~ 314,000 holders of CHL in Texas. And, this doesn't include the unlicensed women who also carry for personal protection in their purses, etc. Add to this those who carry that are not licensed...I'm not including the criminals here.

The bottom line of personal defense is to STOP THE THREAT! Not to kill. When one encounters a gang banger or someone else high on drugs or on an endorphin high from testosteron or steroids or drunk, it is well documented (FBI statistics, etc.) that they can still keep coming at you after more than one shot.

The other issue is that if the person views the threat as real and relative to his/her ability to ward off an intruder (due to physical disability, age, size, etc.) then any perpetrator the potential victim perceives as "bigger and more dangerous" than him/herself...well...you know the rest of the story.

I use my .40 Beretta with Personal Defense hollow points. I practice regularly. Hopefully one or two shots would stop the threat. If not...then I have more rounds...

Another given is that "most" criminals, gang bangers, and other psychos DO NOT practice with their weapon. As a result, the chances of getting hit are minimal unless one is at very close range (or) if they are packing a shotgun, AR-15, UZI, or similar weapon. The citizen's advantage here is that he/she actually "sights" their target...the perpetrator just "Ready...Shoot...Aims"...

My wife who is 5 foot 2 uses the Taurus Judge... .410 or .45 Colt option. Looking at the business end of that barrel is a touch scary...

I knew a woman several years ago where I worked who kept a .22 Magnum with 9 shot capacity. She said she would just empty the chamber if someone came at her...duh! .22 projectiles would probably just make the attacker MAD and would keep coming at her!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Running Arrow Bill View Post
    I knew a woman several years ago where I worked who kept a .22 Magnum with 9 shot capacity. She said she would just empty the chamber if someone came at her...duh! .22 projectiles would probably just make the attacker MAD and would keep coming at her!
    If someone drew a gun and pointed it at me, the diameter of the barrel would be the last thing on my mind.
    Second, a .22 can be effective even in the .22lr caliber.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/deadl...o-charges.html

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast