.45 too much for home defense? - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

It's a shame that we even have to discuss this. It is a shame that we live in a society that has to protect law abiding citizens (castle laws) who defend themselves. You should use the biggest caliber that you feel comfortable and competent to use in light of the tactical situation you may face (are their people in adjoining rooms, how close are the neighbors houses, etc.).

You should develop a home defense plan based on those tactical limitations. I live in a very rural setting with no neighbors near by and just my wife and I. I have my 1911 next to the bed, a 12 Ga. & AR in the closet. If the threat is imminent I use the 45, if it is some where in the house I tuck the 45 and grab the shotgun, if outside I trade for the AR with a mounted light. I practice with all three and feel confident with them.

I also live in a state that has a very liberal (in a good way) self defense laws. Only shoot if there is truly a threat(weapon displayed, running toward you, imminent threatening `action'). Shoot to `neutralize' don't make any statements to the police (other than "I was in fear of my life") without an attorney present. If that doesn't cut it where you live I'd consider moving to a `free' state.

That is my two cents for what it is worth
    Armed you are a citizen, unarmed a subject.
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Fear the government who fears you guns.

Hey cobra: Not quite sure what you are trying to say. Sounds like you are ready to do battle just because slime is in the house. As I said in previous post, "stuff" is replaceable, I am not, and that is why I have insurance. Just my wife and I in bedroom, and no one else in another area of house so I see NO reason to confront any "smash and grab" perp---I'll stand my ground in my bedroom in a well-defined location with a well-defined "disabler" containing double O that will provide me with clear "interraction" with the slime should they decide to see what is behind door #1 and wait for LE. I decided many years ago that I will have no compunction to "fully defend" myself against a threat of imminent injury or possible death. Someone asked me once about how such an encounter might be a "life changing" event in my life and I responded that I can only think of two life changing results of such an "interraction"---they are 1. the perp's life changing status and 2. the need to replace a door and change the carpet in my bedroom.

Well I guess I'm screwed. I own both a .357 magnum and a .45 auto...

Yea... OK… Right… When the smoke clears and the guy or gal who was attempting to (insert type of assault or attack here___________) is now lying motionless on the floor or ground and you're still standing, who cares what caliber it took to get the assault, attack, home invasion, etc. to stop? Why would it matter?

“Oh Yes, very true your honor, criminals do have rights, when the police arrest them”. “Since the police are not always available to defend me at any given moment, and in this case I was in need of assistance as I feared for my life (or the lives of family members, or for the life of a fellow citizen) I chose to defend myself and or them”. “I was under the assumption that as a law abiding citizen of the United States of America I had rights too”. “Rights like Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of “Peaceful Happiness”.

Oh wait... I must be dreaming...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Hey 6shootercarry: To reiterate something you alluded to in your last post. THE POLICE ARE HERE TO INVESTIGATE HOME BREAKINS AND POSSIBLE INJURY OR THE DEATH OF SOMEONE IN YOUR HOME--THEY ARE NOT THERE TO PROTECT ANYONE UNLESS HAPPENSTANCE HAS THEM SITTING OUTSIDE YOUR HOME AT THE MOMENT OF THE BREAKIN. The idea that I cannot protect myself is disgraceful and downright disgusting. Someone like Pelosi or Schumer or some other self-appointed anti-gun hypocrite, who have security around them all the time, have the gall to tell me that I cannot assume a responsibility that they do not have to take because my tax bill includes their protection.

Just another sign of the disintegration of our founding principles. How many "elites" have been caught with handguns (just recently in Chicago, for ex.) who, at the same time, vote to disarm the lowly masses? I spit on them all.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey 6shootercarry: To reiterate something you alluded to in your last post. THE POLICE ARE HERE TO INVESTIGATE HOME BREAKINS AND POSSIBLE INJURY OR THE DEATH OF SOMEONE IN YOUR HOME--THEY ARE NOT THERE TO PROTECT ANYONE UNLESS HAPPENSTANCE HAS THEM SITTING OUTSIDE YOUR HOME AT THE MOMENT OF THE BREAKIN. The idea that I cannot protect myself is disgraceful and downright disgusting. Someone like Pelosi or Schumer or some other self-appointed anti-gun hypocrite, who have security around them all the time, have the gall to tell me that I cannot assume a responsibility that they do not have to take because my tax bill includes their protection.
    I've seen this typed here on this site some place before (perhaps a signature line or another post) so I'll use it here: “I carry a gun because cops are too heavy and expensive to carry all day". “When seconds count the police are just moments away”. Now with that typed, I'm not insulting or impugning the ability of the police. They have their issues with budget restrictions, logistics, and the ratio of civilians to protect vs. the number of officers to provide said protection. They can’t be expected to be at location x precisely at time y. If that does occur I’ll call that “Devine Intervention”.

Being responsible for you and your family is a dying art here in the U.S.A. and has become taboo with respect to choosing to do so with a weapon. I can’t stand by and allow others to prey upon me or my family.

Good Holiday to Kelcarry, JJFlash, and all others here,
    Peace..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by devildave31 View Post
    I saw something in a forum on another sight that got me concerned. Someone mentioned that (in his/herstate?) using a .45 even to defend your home can be used against you by the law, because it can be considered overkill and you could be charged with aggravated assault because you selected a gun with the intent of doing the most damage or quickest kill. I could see where an anti-gun court might use that to paint you as over aggressive, but otherwise is there any legitiamcy to this concept?
    Charged with aggravated assault for having used .45? Merely pointing a .45? Shooting and wounding? Shooting and killing?

Smells like B.S. to me.

Statutes vary by state, but I would press the person asserting such a thing for details.

Here in Washington, the crime of assault is delineated by assault in the first/second/third/fourth degree.

RCW 9A.36

Assault one which is the most severe, a Class A felony, says:

(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:

(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death;

Doesn't matter what caliber.

RCW 9A.36.011: Assault in the first degree.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Hey cobra: You used the term in a previous post that a perp is in your house and "is now threatening" you and your family. I do not think anyone on this forum will shrink away from a VERY VERY positive response to an "is now threatening" scenario. The real question in home defense is what are you doing to prevent "is now threatening" and what actions should you take while the perp is in your house before he is "now threatening". Kids in the house and/or other family members in other parts of the house play an obviously big role in your decisions. As stated in this post and others, if you are determined to protect yourself, you have to have a well-rehearsed and well thought-out plan that can literally go on "auto" if such a situation presents itself; I have doubts that many of us will be thinking with 100% clarity and vision, at such a time, but training can be an ultimate equalizer.

[quote=45ACP;104715]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

Guess I need to get rid of my magnum 3" 600 grain rifled slugs ....

J
    well, they WILL blow a pretty good hole through anything in their way! They have their uses.

11. I sleep with a 1911 chambered in .45ACP next to me and I open carry with the same gun. I would shoot to stop the threat.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum. . .Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis. . . .Nemo me impune lacessit . . .Veritas vos Liberabit. . . .ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! . . . .Write, speak, do!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast