.45 too much for home defense? - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 too much for home defense?

Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12g with #00 loads is my primary HD choice. I shoot to kill, ESPECIALLY if someone comes in my home. I have two little girls to protect and there's only one thing worse than a mother defending her young....an overprotective father lol.

so i take it my .50 cal desert eagle is too much then. im glad to see many states adopt the castle doctrines laws and the stand your ground laws. it protects us that are the real victims from stupid civil suits and counter suits that the family of this scum always tries to do. damn its good to be an American.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by acheney46 View Post
    I carry a Charter arms off duty 38,,,but it the house I have a Colt M-1991 A1 45 ACP,,, Because the 45 will kill with one shoot,,also if I do not kill him but hit him no matter were it will put him down,,,
    Do you really believe that just due to the fact your using a .45 ACP platform for an HD gun that one hit is going to end the threat ???

You really wanna climb out on that limb ??

"Off duty"..............are you LEO ? military ? other ? I like to know who I'm talking to before I engage in a debate regarding caliber choice and ammunition choices. What experience do you have in this matter ?
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Hey Unfettered Might: I also have a 12g/00 at the ready in my bedroom but, as has been pointed out in many posts, having children in the house adds another element to the scenario. My wife and I are retired with no little ones running about. Children have a way of doing things you would never expect and being in places you would never expect--I am sure that in your thinking with the 12g/00, their safety (and location) is first on the list before you deal with a slimeball. This goes, of course, to having a firearm in the house--period, and certainly in a home invasion if they are in another area or another floor in the house. Be safe brother and I'm sure you feel the way I do--it's nice to just "practice" every so often and clean the beast--I do not believe I will ever have to "use" it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Unfettered Might: I also have a 12g/00 at the ready in my bedroom but, as has been pointed out in many posts, having children in the house adds another element to the scenario. My wife and I are retired with no little ones running about. Children have a way of doing things you would never expect and being in places you would never expect--I am sure that in your thinking with the 12g/00, their safety (and location) is first on the list before you deal with a slimeball. This goes, of course, to having a firearm in the house--period, and certainly in a home invasion if they are in another area or another floor in the house. Be safe brother and I'm sure you feel the way I do--it's nice to just "practice" every so often and clean the beast--I do not believe I will ever have to "use" it.
    Yes it is a big factor, I have thought long and hard on the subject. I actually have the hallway to their bedrooms gated (attached to the wall stubs, lockable and too tall to be climbed over at their ages) after the bathroom so they can still get to it in the middle of the night but can't roam free into dangerous areas (kitchen, utility, etc) should they wake before I do. It doubles as a safe guard for them to not be anywhere in the line of fire should a home invasion occur with the layout of my single floor home.

With the dog as an early warning system, verifying their location before an encounter, shouldn't be an issue. Despite the gate just being absolutely impassable for them, like you said, little ones are a resourceful lot, so multiple fail safes are in order.

I have my 9mm in a biometric gun safe on my nightstand and the shotgun is in a mount high enough on the wall I can just reach it comfortably, with me being 6' in height. They could stand on each others shoulders on a chair and still couldn't reach it. Despite all of that, I still won't keep a round chambered in the shotgun, makes me uncomfortable, like I said the dog will give me more than enough warning.

Eventually, when they are old enough and mature enough, they'll be armed too. I've talked with them at great length about the dangers of a firearm and have tested them on multiple occasions with a unloaded firearm "accidentally" left on a table. They are like little alarms when they see it, like ten clydesdales couldn't hold them back from running to tell me. They actually fight over who gets to tell me first, lol. Although my gun is either on my hip or in my safe (it's gospel in my house), I do my best to anticipate the "impossible" and they could encounter a firearm outside of my home so good teachings are in order.

I truly thank you for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post

I've talked with them at great length about the dangers of a firearm and have tested them on multiple occasions with a unloaded firearm "accidentally" left on a table. They are like little alarms when they see it, like ten clydesdales couldn't hold them back from running to tell me. They actually fight over who gets to tell me first, lol. Although my gun is either on my hip or in my safe (it's gospel in my house), I do my best to anticipate the "impossible" and they could encounter a firearm outside of my home so good teachings are in order.

Education is the best safety. Glad to see you are such a great Dad!!

+1 on the mossberg. Same in my house. A friend of mine is of the school of thought that a 410 is the perfect house gun. Not sure I totally agree but I see many of his points. Thinking about getting one for my mom and taking my .38 back
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Yes it is a big factor, I have thought long and hard on the subject. I actually have the hallway to their bedrooms gated (attached to the wall stubs, lockable and too tall to be climbed over at their ages) after the bathroom so they can still get to it in the middle of the night but can't roam free into dangerous areas (kitchen, utility, etc) should they wake before I do. It doubles as a safe guard for them to not be anywhere in the line of fire should a home invasion occur with the layout of my single floor home.

With the dog as an early warning system, verifying their location before an encounter, shouldn't be an issue. Despite the gate just being absolutely impassable for them, like you said, little ones are a resourceful lot, so multiple fail safes are in order.

I have my 9mm in a biometric gun safe on my nightstand and the shotgun is in a mount high enough on the wall I can just reach it comfortably, with me being 6' in height. They could stand on each others shoulders on a chair and still couldn't reach it. Despite all of that, I still won't keep a round chambered in the shotgun, makes me uncomfortable, like I said the dog will give me more than enough warning.

Eventually, when they are old enough and mature enough, they'll be armed too. I've talked with them at great length about the dangers of a firearm and have tested them on multiple occasions with a unloaded firearm "accidentally" left on a table. They are like little alarms when they see it, like ten clydesdales couldn't hold them back from running to tell me. They actually fight over who gets to tell me first, lol. Although my gun is either on my hip or in my safe (it's gospel in my house), I do my best to anticipate the "impossible" and they could encounter a firearm outside of my home so good teachings are in order.

with the "wee people" being gated at night, I do hope you have a plan of escape in the event of fire or such.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    with the "wee people" being gated at night, I do hope you have a plan of escape in the event of fire or such.
    Um...yep...open the gate and grab the kids. Smoke alarms provide more than enough warning.

Plus I should point out to those of you who don't realize, if your ever "trapped" in a room because of a fire in the hallway.......go through the wall. There's only 1/2 inch of drywall on either side of studs that are 14 1/2 inches apart, more than enough space for a full grown man to fit through, well unless your an extremely obese man. All it takes is a foot and some kicking and viola, EGRESS!!

I plan for every contingency.

Blog Entries
    I just received this from a friend in Texas.

It answers why a 45, and also some info on shotgun use.

Things that I found helpful by living this long. --Don—

The purpose of fighting is to win..

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either... The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2.. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

7. Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, it can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    I just received this from a friend in Texas.

It answers why a 45, and also some info on shotgun use.

Things that I found helpful by living this long. --Don—

The purpose of fighting is to win..

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either... The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2.. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

7. Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, it can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.
    this is great! and its also true!
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast