Self Defense & Insurance Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self Defense & Insurance Question

Agreed on the disposition factor. The antis don't have a clue about "us" over here.

Back to the insurance point though - as much as LOVE 'em for their effectiveness and ease of use, the insurance question is one big reason why I don't choose a shotgun for interior home defense. Just more or bigger holes and likely WAY more carpet to replace... but you know. Fight and win. Carpet and dry wall are replaceable.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Hey Aggressive1: Your last post on this thread is right on--good post. Not only should you feel less confrontational, I believe it is your duty, under the laws that gave you the right to bear arms and to CC. This forum, as I have said before, is really a great learning experience from a bunch of people all over the country who share their 2nd Amendment rights with integrity.

There is a thread here on this site called "insult my wife" good read regarding disposition when armed.
    With the right ammo and 2 rounds dead center mass, the drywall should not be an issue... I have never been fond of the carpet in the living room or up the front stairs so.. Hard-wood or laminate flooring would look nice and I can install that. Better to be alive and remodeling then dead and decomposing Forget the insurance companies, Money sucking vampires when all is good, but ask them for some cash to fix things when it goes bad and their butts tighten up and eyes roll…
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Hey 6shootercarry: I assume when you talk about drywall damage you are referring only to it as collateral damage and not damaged because you shot thru it with the perp on the other side. If you discharge your weapon at someone who may not belong in your house but is on the other side of a wall or the other side of a door, you are going to be somewhat at a loss for words when it comes to convincing someone (like a jury)that you were in deathly fear of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey 6shootercarry: I assume when you talk about drywall damage you are referring only to it as collateral damage and not damaged because you shot thru it with the perp on the other side. If you discharge your weapon at someone who may not belong in your house but is on the other side of a wall or the other side of a door, you are going to be somewhat at a loss for words when it comes to convincing someone (like a jury)that you were in deathly fear of your life.
    That's correct..Just in case the perp is close and one or more of the shots is a through and through.. 357 at close range with full magnums.. It could happen...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Thirty years as an insurance agent and underwriter and I've never seen a person dropped for a self defense act. I suppose it could happen though. I've had some nice claims made in that time, almost all from fires in So. Calif. and in my case no one was ever dropped even when we paid out $200k-$800k or more.

An insurer is more likely to non-renew someone who had multiple small losses in a three year period than one big one.

Now, if you put in a couple claims for robbery, and you live in a higher crime area they might figure you're more likely to suffer another one but for the average person (about one homeowners claim every 13-15 years) in a average neighborhood it's probably not going to happen.

Insurers don't non-renew for things that have already happened, they non-renew due a abnormal higher risk of things that might happen.

As with everything in life, there are exceptions to every rule. Some insurers are more gun shy (pardon the pun) than others.

Stiofan,

Thanks for the input from a former-insurer's point of view.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12