OK, You have a CCW. When NOT to use it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, You have a CCW. When NOT to use it?

1. I guess I should have offered my own thoughts as well when I posed the question. I'm telling you though, some of these answers are awesome.

For me, having a CCP and choosing to carry concealed brings with it responsibility. First and foremost, home and personal (including family) defense. I agree, if I see one person shoot another or witness a crime, I run for the nearest safe place and call 911.

But an interesting point was also brought up--don't carry unless you know that in a life or death situation, you will use the weapon. You would probably be better off not carrying at all.

One thing we need to realize is that we can all, from the comfort of our computer chairs, speculate how we would or would not react in a certain situation. Our true reaction or lack thereof may differ wildly than the way we think we would react. If/ when the time comes, there will not likely be time to ponder the legal ramifications. If you do draw, it will have been because you had to draw, not because you thought you had to draw.

Something else to consider is that your post here may be used against you. If you say you would not draw/ fire unless X-Y-Z, and then IRL your instinctive reaction was to draw/ fire at less than X-Y-Z, a particularly zealous DA could have a field day with you even if IRL you felt you were facing an imminent threat.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. everyone on this thread is on the money.

After we have trained physically, mentally, and legally; and we are as ready as we will ever be the only thing left is to have faith in our own actions. If you stand ready to defend your self and those around you than all the tough decisions have already been made. Have faith that you will call every situation as you see it and have faith that any split second decision you make will be right. The only thing you can do now is stay ready and don't over think it.

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    One thing we need to realize is that we can all, from the comfort of our computer chairs, speculate how we would or would not react in a certain situation. Our true reaction or lack thereof may differ wildly than the way we think we would react. If/ when the time comes, there will not likely be time to ponder the legal ramifications. If you do draw, it will have been because you had to draw, not because you thought you had to draw.
    I think most people would make good decisions on the pull / not pull.. It is amazing to me how hard it is to find in the news stories about CCW holders utilizing their weapons..
    I think maybe the hard thing is not letting the adrenaline carry you away like what happened to the drug store owner(another post).. to get to the point to pull, then fire, then the BG retreats, to not chase them at that point because of the adrenaline rush, and all the TV and Movies we have all seen.. This is where the discipline is likely to break down IMHO..

Once again, I have found this discussion very helpful as a mental exercise in my mind..
    Thanx

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

New to site and impressed by replies on this thread. Do not perceive any "Dirty Harrys" among the members on this thread. In South Carolina, where I reside, we have the castle doctrine, and from news accounts it appears to be liberally interpreted by our solicitors to the extreme benefit of the homeowner--if you forcibly enter a house where you do not belong, a homeowner who is fearful for their life and the lives of their family can shoot and kill you and not be prosecuted. It is outside the home as you carry that the previous replies were right on--retreat and do anything you can to avoid confrontation--anything else carries far-reaching realities both criminal and civil. I look forward to reading these threads and learning about user-carry responsibilites and situations that, hopefully, along with perfecting my shooting and carrying competency, complete my self defense abilities.

Welcome KelCarry from Tampa Bay Floriduh...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

My Three Steps

1. You Need to Get Your Mind Right. This is where you come to grips and make your peace with the fact that you are carrying the power of life and death. You need to walk through the various scenarios for what will happen before, during, and after, to be prepared for the entire event.

You can not put off getting yourself ready. There are no RSVPs to gun/knife/club fights. Even if you avoid going anywhere where there might be a violent confrontation - unless the government sends you there - that does not mean you will not be in one; the other side has a vote on creating a violent confrontation for their own reason(s). You must be ready beforehand for the event and the aftermath. If you have not gotten past this step, you can not deal with Steps 2 and 3 clearly, and you are setting yourself all of the emotional issues that will come your way if you are carrying ANY weapon - gun/knife/club - and use it.

2. You Have to Know Where the Bright Line to Act Is. At what point can you legally stop the threat.

You must know at what point under what circumstances deadly force is appropriate. This is not something you can figure out at the time, you must have internalized it before it the event starts, much like what you do when you drive your car on ice, for example. Each state is different, so you must be well-versed in any state you are in, and every separate kind of situation (home/domicile, car, outside home/car, etc.) that is possible. You must automatically and immediately know when the line is crossed.

3. There can be NO hesitation as soon as the opportunity/shot is cleared tactically after the Bright Line has been and remains crossed. As John Bernard Books - John Wayne's character in his last movie The Shootist stated - You Must Be WILLING.

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't."

You can not be looking for wiggle room or a gray area here. The threat exists, and needs to be stopped. Looking for a Third Middle Compromise Solution leads to hesitation, which will lead to you not dealing with your responsibilities in a timely manner. It is you - not the person or persons presenting the threat - that you are responsible for.
    Orlando, FL

Hey BoomBoy007: Your quote of Thomas Jefferson hit home in a big way. It seems that everytime I read the papers and see our one party govenment doing whatever it wants regardless of criticism and the opinions of at least 49% of the populace and regardless of the consequences that will bring this country to its knees, I want to go out and buy a new gun. I just day ream about the day when a particularly aggressive ACORN person or stupid democrat comes to my door and threatens me as I tell them what I think of them. If I am real lucky it won't just be words but more specific overt actions that truly endanger me as they force their way into my home. Then again its just a dream.

In Georgia where I have a CCL, the rule of thumb is "if any reasonable person in the same circumstances would believe their life is threatened," then deadly force is justifiable. Also, three factors go into this definition of "life being threatened." 1. The other person or persons have the ability to kill you. i.e.There are three of them and one of you. They had a deadly weapon like a bat, or knife, or just fists if they are must larger than you. 2. They have the opportunity to kill you. The person is close enough to actually harm you. If they are 100 yards away, you would not be justified in shooting them even if they met condition 1. Usually 30 feet or closer is considered close enough to someone to either shoot you or get to you in less that 3 seconds to inflict harm on you with their bare hands. 3. They must be intent on harming you. A person may meet condition 1 and 2 but not have any intention on harming you. They may show their intent in various ways. i.e. They may say, "I'm going to kill you!" They may banish their firearm. They may not stop approaching you when you command them to stop. If you sense a threat from a person approaching you and you command them to stop and they do not stop, this indicates their intent on harming you. Why else would they not stop and keep their distance? You may also read their body language and it shouts anger and murderous intent. Note all three conditions must be met. If anyone of them is missing you will probably not be justifiable in using deadly force.

When all three of these conditions are met, then any reasonable person in your circumstance would believe their life to be threatened. In Georgia there is no duty to retreat law, but I think if there is any way to avoid a gun fight, take it. You will always have two fights. The gun fight, then the legal fight afterwards. Even if the law says you were justifiable, the family of the person you shot may sue you in civil court.

I think it's funny that you copied you first post to the site, and pasted it as your second post to the site. But then, that does point out that we have a redundancy in topics. Funny how that happens.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast