ID target or Shoot - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ID target or Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey blkdragon: You are absolutely right on with your comments. The only scenario that a recent poster presented that cannot be argued with is in a house where there are children and their bedrooms are located on the other side or other level of the home. I live with my wife and there are no other people who should or could be in my house in the dead of night. If you have kids, per the above situation, you are obligated to go on some form of offensive in the face of an unknown and unseen perp. What I like about this forum is the responsible responses that make up most of the comments and not the very Rambo-type messages that tend to proliferate many of the gun forums. It is easy to talk a talk when you are sitting at a computer and it is another thing to walk the walk in the middle of the night with the possibility of dying. I think many people get carried away when they write into forums and if the real thing comes down they will not be so sure of their actions. I try to think of the what ifs and what I would do but until it actually happens I really could not say for certain what I would do. I do know that I will try to do whatever I can to avoid even thinking about the use of my weapon, which to me means I am in serious fear of my life or my loved ones and at that point my actions are crystal clear.
    The problem is when you hear something go bump in the night but didn't hear enough to justify calling the police. You end up checking it out.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

identify, and take action accordingly.
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

Hey maybejim: In my house it is only my wife and I and we lock the bedroom door at night. If there is a "bump in the night" (and from listening it is not just something falling but obviously real visitors) outside of our bedroom, I call 911 and stay in my bedroom. I will yell out that police have been called, I will activate the emergency horn blowing on the car, and I will yell out as I rack the shotgun that it will be a big mistake if you try my locked door. I will think about the insurance claim I will make if they leave with something before the police arrive or they leave without trying my bedroom door. If they try the door and manage to force it from the locked position they will be very sorry. I do have alarms at all external facing doors and windows but do not always use them or soemtimes they may be in disrepair--I would think the alarms, if working, will preclude "visitors" but you never know with dopeheads.

Target identification is one of the safety rules that everybody should learn before handling a deadly weapon.
    One night, I woke up and snuck out out of bed to avoid waking my wife. While walking toward the kitchen, I heard and saw someone coming through the front door. In a fraction of a second, I had a gun, cocked and aimed. Thankfully, because of years of training and practice, my finger wasn't near the trigger. Don't you know I became weak in the knees when I discovered the 'target' was my dear wife?! She was looking away, never saw the gun, and doesn't know to this day she had a gun aimed at her. Somehow, I hadn't woken up when she got out of bed.
    “Self defense is a primary law of nature, which no subsequent law of society can abolish; the immediate gift of the Creator, obliges everyone … to resist the first approaches of tyranny.” -- Elbridge Gerry

My wife and I have a ten year old son and a seventeen year old daughter still living at home. The kids often have friends over to spend the night on weekends. Our house isn't Grand Central Station but it's a pretty darned busy. You can bet I would have to verify a threat before firing my pistol. I don't think I could live with myself if I shot the wrong person. I keep control of my CC weapon at all times to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.

Good answers guys. As I have said, I lock my bedroom door and put a wedge under the door. For that door to open, someone has to be in my house in the first place and then has to work hard at opening the bedroom door. It could, in some strange way, possibly be my wife but my intent would be, once someone is trying to open the door to yell out that he is making a big mistake as I rack a 12g, which sounds loud in a quiet house. I also will aim a high-lumen flashlight directly at the door opening and place myself at a severe angle away from the light but in fine position to hit what I aim at. If, for some crazy reason, it was my wife, I am sure she would say something in response to this kind of wake-up call but if that bedroom door starts to open after all I have done to prevent it opening, I will give the light one chance to see who is there and if it isn't my wife (the only other person in my house, who by now would be screeching it is her), there will be life-changing events happening in my home. PS: My wife is well aware of our precautions and even if she went into the kitchen late at night without my being aware, she cannot lock the bedroom door nor put a wedge under the door as she exits the bedroom--the door could be closed but not locked or secured. Any heavy attempts to penetrate the bedroom have to be coming from an intruder.

This is something I've been thinking of for a while myself. I wear glasses, and my night vision without them is horrible. The absolute worst home invasion scenario I could possibly envison is for me to hear what appears to be someone breaking in, and me grabbing my shotgun while I go investigate. I've always wondered what if I don't have time to grab my glasses and cell phone? By the time I grab those thngs, I could already be dead or seriously hurt. Is this something any of the other glasses wearers here have ever had to deal with or consider?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Hey tattedupboy: Two comments on your w/o glasses comments. 1) If you have the shotgun, the first thing you do is rack the shotgun if it is a pump--that noise is as good as it gets and 2) Shotguns are basically point and shoot guns, when firing double O shot. If you have any sort of eyesight it should serve you well even if your eyesight is not great.
    Other than those comments, methinks you had better develop an intense plan on reaction to a breakin that includes those glasses.
    Hopefully as I would say to all of us on this forum, we NEVER have to actually present our weapons anytime.

tattedupboy! Not sure how old you are, I wear glasses and find that for shooting at distances of twenty yards or less I don't need them. Spend a little time on the range using just clear shooting glasses, I think your fears will be abated. As far as point and shoot, as a cop I can tell you that shooting a shotgun at close range will really open your eyes. I can take head shots at 7yards, hit the bad guy target in the "ocular-cranial" and not touch the hostage target! I am good with a shotgun, but not as good as the SWAT guys! Don't fall into that false belief that a shotgun spreads out far and wide in such short distances, it ain't true!

Another mistaken idea, my home defense shotgun I use #6 shot. That's right! It holds a tight pattern, won't over penatrate into neighbors homes, and will get the job done. Center-mass, or head keep shooting until the threat disappears. Your concerns regarding the cell phone, and glasses are ones that you can address with ease. If you have a spare pair, maybe you should try to fasten the case(containing the glasses)to the butt of your shotgun. This can be done with a rubber band. A prepaid "safe phone" to be used just for emergencies can also be taped to the oposite side of the stock. Everything is there in a neat package. You guys are great! This is the place to kick things around, find a problem address it.

Scott Willams
    [URL="http://www.blackdragonpersonalprotection.com/

I remember an awful story some years ago, I think it was in Louisiana...Guy hears "bump" in the nite, grabs his piece, goes to investigate, and someone jumps out of a closet with a yell. The guy, obviously startled, promptly shoots and kills HIS OWN 14-year old son, who apparently was just spoofing him. What a horror! So, this makes me think...COMMUNICATE with everyone who MIGHT wander into your home or pull some boneheaded stunt like this. I think, basically, your close friends and loved ones MUST know that you are routinely armed. I don't think you can fault the guy in the above situation but that's gotta be beyond words awful to live with. I ran over and killed my own dog recently and I feel like I'll never get over that. I can't imagine this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast