ID target or Shoot - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: ID target or Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBeAh.40 View Post
    Your home is dark, it's late and you hear someone inside your home. DO you try to ID the individual or do you use deadly force without issuing any commands or effort to ID?
    Two people break down your door, enter your house brandishing weapons, and yell "police! get on the ground!"

Do you believe them?

Does anyone know of a case in which bugulars tried such a ruse?

In NYS the fake traffic stop became so prevelent that the govenor had to issue an executive order prohbiting the use of unmarked cars for routine traffic stops. Thus,if you have an unmarked car flashing lights at you the best thing to do is call 911 on your cell and report it. Either it is a person impersonating LEO or an LEO who doesn't know the law.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBeAh.40 View Post
    Your home is dark, it's late and you hear someone inside your home. DO you try to ID the individual or do you use deadly force without issuing any commands or effort to ID?
    With two cats, three kids, and a wife, yeah I'm gonna ID the target rather than just start blasting. It's why I also carry a SureFire--whether in the pouch on my belt.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I don't know what "other site" you where on, but it sounds like a bunch of trigger happy, half brained, mindless morons.
    Depends on the circumstances. If some moron who I don't know is wandering around my house with a weapon in his hand, there's a good chance I might shoot him first and yell "Freeze or I'll shoot" second. But that's just me.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I'd say do like Dirty Harry. Have a maniquin in a bedside chair holding the flashlight so the BG bursts in and shoots up the maniquin thinking he got the drop on you. Then you fire him up!

Seriously, I can't see anyone just start blasting without KNOWING what they are shooting at. Seems like a good way to get sued and/or in prison to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post
    I'd say do like Dirty Harry. Have a maniquin in a bedside chair holding the flashlight so the BG bursts in and shoots up the maniquin thinking he got the drop on you. Then you fire him up!

Seriously, I can't see anyone just start blasting without KNOWING what they are shooting at. Seems like a good way to get sued and/or in prison to me.
    If they are a stranger and they are carrying a weapon I don't think anyone would ever go to prison. If you're that worried about being sued, you best not even own a gun.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Two people break down your door, enter your house brandishing weapons, and yell "police! get on the ground!"

Do you believe them?

Good point. I wouldn't, just because I know me, and I don't believe anything at first. On the reverse side of that, how many LEO's have been shot doing that to someone unsuspecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ga9mm View Post
    Good point. I wouldn't, just because I know me, and I don't believe anything at first. On the reverse side of that, how many LEO's have been shot doing that to someone unsuspecting?
    A number have been but it almost always ends with the often innocent homeowner dead.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I don't know what "other site" you where on, but it sounds like a bunch of trigger happy, half brained, mindless morons.
    I think I know which site he is talking about and there are a few (actually more than a few) that come close to fitting that description.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    If they are a stranger and they are carrying a weapon I don't think anyone would ever go to prison. If you're that worried about being sued, you best not even own a gun.
    You're a hazard to other people.

Thats a big IF. So what If they aren't?
    That's the thing. You need to be positive, not base your gunfire on an IF.

If you're that worried about being sued, you best not even own a gun.
    I'm not worried about it, I just see it as unnecessary to have to pay a million dollars in a civil liability suit becasue I shot the apt complex maintenance man in your IF situation above.

It's just one of the basic concepts of gun ownership and gun safety, identifying what you are shooting at. If you can't understand that you don't just blast away at a noise or a shadow,then YOU don't need to even own a gun.

Failure to be identified doesn't justify the death penalty in America.

NRA GUN SAFETY:
    Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

REMINGTON COPR GUN SAFETY:
    Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

Massad Ayoob: LFI Handgun Safety:
    Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified. Remember that a handgun bullet can travel one mile and a rifle bullet can travel several miles.

You're a hazard to other people.
    If they're strangers wandering around my house without permission, I would hope so.

Thats a big IF. So what If they aren't?
    I might shoot them anyway. Depends on circumstances.

not base your gunfire on an IF.
    Of course it is based on an IF. IF it's my brother in law...bad example...IF it's my son, I wouldn't shoot.

I just see it as unnecessary to have to pay a million dollars in a civil liability suit becasue I shot the apt complex maintenance man in your IF situation above.
    I don't live in an Apartment and there are no maintenance men that have permission (or the legal right) to be in my house without permission. Any maintenance man that comes in without knocking is certainly liable to be shot and in sane locations without a million dollar civil liability suit.

It's just one of the basic concepts of gun ownership and gun safety, identifying what you are shooting at. If you can't understand that you don't just blast away at a noise or a shadow,then YOU don't need to even own a gun.
    If they are wandering around my house in the middle of the night and I don't know them, they've been identified enough. My kids are grown and know better than to slip into my house unannounced (and don't live anywhere close). I always identify where my wife is if I hear a bump in the night. No one else has any business in the house.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast