Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 10
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 208

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeguardhall View Post
    It took you 7 pages of lecturing and blathering to realize that anyone has the right to question someone that is on or messing with their property? Not everyone locks themselves in a room and waits for someone else to take care of their business or come see what every little noise is outside. There is nothing wrong with checking things out yourself prior to calling 911 and doing it armed. When you do find out what is going on and the situation presents itself where you need to protect yourself, there is nothing wrong with that either. You can't dial 911 and lock yourself in a bedroom for every little noise your hear in the middle of the night. I wonder what my wife would think of me then....

    As far as a BG being better prepared, have you checked the statistics? More times than not a BG has zero experience or training with a firearm and won't hit what he shoots at if he even gets the chance. Everyone has the right to own firearms, but some need a little more training than others. Just a note, if you are locking yourself in your bedroom and say you are going to shoot someone that tries to get in, do yourself a favor and identify your target before you fire your weapon. You could be the one being charged if you shoot through the door.
    Welcome to the forum. NICE FIRST POST! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Don't count on BGs not having training with a firearm, or knowing how to use it. That would be a VERY serious assumption mistake. Remember, at personal defense distances, an old lady with cataract problems can shoot you dead in a heartbeat!

    The other serious assumption you made is about the physche , build, and manliness of Kelcarry. I know him and I'll guarantee that you wouldn't talk to him like that if you were standing in front of him. I'm 6'2" and I wouldn't talk to him like that!

    How about toning down your rhetoric a little? We like to debate here. None of us will shy away from that. But what we don't like here, is someone trying to turn a debate into a "You're an idiot and I'm going to show you how much smarter I am than you" attack. You aren't going to make anyone here think you are some billy-bad-ass. Posts liker you made to kelcary only make you look like billy-dumb-ass. Put your mind in gear before your mouth starts rolling next time.

    Look, we can all learn from one another here and enjoy this place, as long as we treat each other with mutual respect and civility. For crying out loud, if everyone would do that, we wouldn't need to even carry these guns. Be part of the solution, not the problem. We face enough bad stuff out on the street. Lets not create an atmosphere here, where we do it to each other at our home computers.

    I'm sure you have a lot of valuable info and experience you can add here. If we can help each other learn here by passing along the experience of each other, collectively maybe we can avoid the mistakes and expenses that each of us would have made by ourselves. There are a lot of good folks here. Give them a chance to show you that.

  2.   
  3. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. NICE FIRST POST! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Don't count on BGs not having training with a firearm, or knowing how to use it. That would be a VERY serious assumption mistake. Remember, at personal defense distances, an old lady with cataract problems can shoot you dead in a heartbeat!

    The other serious assumption you made is about the physche , build, and manliness of Kelcarry. I know him and I'll guarantee that you wouldn't talk to him like that if you were standing in front of him. I'm 6'2" and I wouldn't talk to him like that!

    How about toning down your rhetoric a little? We like to debate here. None of us will shy away from that. But what we don't like here, is someone trying to turn a debate into a "You're an idiot and I'm going to show you how much smarter I am than you" attack. You aren't going to make anyone here think you are some billy-bad-ass. Posts liker you made to kelcary only make you look like billy-dumb-ass. Put your mind in gear before your mouth starts rolling next time.

    Look, we can all learn from one another here and enjoy this place, as long as we treat each other with mutual respect and civility. For crying out loud, if everyone would do that, we wouldn't need to even carry these guns. Be part of the solution, not the problem. We face enough bad stuff out on the street. Lets not create an atmosphere here, where we do it to each other at our home computers.

    I'm sure you have a lot of valuable info and experience you can add here. If we can help each other learn here by passing along the experience of each other, collectively maybe we can avoid the mistakes and expenses that each of us would have made by ourselves. There are a lot of good folks here. Give them a chance to show you that.
    Come on Gove5, say what you really think!

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Central N.Car.
    Posts
    534
    Red Hat has a fairly good perspective IMO. I have lost thousands to thieves and have yet to get one penny back or one item returned. Have made my mind up that the next one is going to get some hot lead. I do not like the thought of firing on someone but am sick of having to buy something every time I need a tool or having to replace stolen firearms--some of which can not be replaced. Just this year I had over $50,000 worth of trucks, steel beams, trusses, and specialty equipment stolen while I was in SD bringing my son back home from a wreck. When I catch them they may get the "Buford Pusser" treatement or worse.

  5. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    Shoot, don't shoot. ONLY YOU can make that call. Kind of figured that what this site is all about and has to offer. Insights (not down the barrel), education and some wisdom. Throw in a few laughs and have some fun.

    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  6. Hey Kelcarry, I get from your posts you live in a city where it may be as long as 3 minutes to get help after dialing 911. here it could be as long as 2 maybe 3 hours. We have some of the best LEOs here but they could be as far as 150 miles from you. If you think all you have to do is wait, oooooppps you lose. I can tell you are a very intelligent and good man but it appears You have possibly lost the idea of why we carry a weapon. I personally carry a weapon to protect my family, myself, AND all of my personal property. The reasons we all carry weapons are varied and each indefensible in a court of law. I appreciate the time you have spent in this post, but my mind is set on my course of action. Again Thank you...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    A 19 year old was "rummaging" around a pickup truck in someone's yard in the middle of the night with the apparent iintention to find some treasure, if not the truck itself. The older gentleman in the home heard noises, grabbed his gun and before calling 911, went outside to confront the 19 year old. He ordered him to turn around and face him and told him to take his hands out of his pockets as he stood there. The 19 year old hesitated and then took one hand out and started to take the other hand out, at which point the old man fired and hit the 19 year old twice--serious injuries but not life threatening; the old man THEN called 911. The solicitor refused to indict and no further legal action has or was taken concerning the old man's actions. In my heart I immensely enjoy everything the old man did. In my mind, however, I find this case a bit troubling. I understand "castle doctrine" etc, but no 911, the seemingly cavalier attitude of priority of property over life, and a confrontation first by the old man who truly initiated his apparent "imminent dange". Any comments?
    I would tell my wife to call 911 while I investigate. I work hard for my stuff! In Texas it is legal to use deadly force to stop someone from leaving your property with your property!

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by strousw View Post
    I would tell my wife to call 911 while I investigate. I work hard for my stuff! In Texas it is legal to use deadly force to stop someone from leaving your property with your property!
    Nothing to do with the subject! Met a young guy at an IPSC match, he was around 5'6" had a hat on that said Texas. Shorter than I, I said "I thought every one from Texas was real big?"

    He looked me right in the eye and said "I am a Texas midget" Broke me up!

    I was just being a smart !A

  9. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Nothing to do with the subject! Met a young guy at an IPSC match, he was around 5'6" had a hat on that said Texas. Shorter than I, I said "I thought every one from Texas was real big?"

    He looked me right in the eye and said "I am a Texas midget" Broke me up!

    I was just being a smart !A
    THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet he caught you COMPLETELY OFF GUARD!!! LOL!!

  10. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Hey rsdonb: I appreciate your post and comments and particularly appreciate the courteous manner you chose to disagree with some of my thoughts on this matter. I guess the phrase "to each his own" is appropriate and, based on your comments I can understand where you are coming from and respect your decision. Apart from LEO response time, I can also appreciate comments made by members who have children or others living in other parts of the house; in my case, it is only my wife and I in the bedroom. Again, in my case and that is all I am inferring in my posts, I do not intend to put my life in danger for "stuff". Any situation can have different variables, which can always change my thinking, but, for the most part, yelling that LEO has been called, the rack of a shotgun, and the blaring of my car in the garage is the most I will be doing----I do not intend to put myself in harms way for silverware and china and maybe a TV--I have videotaped valuables for insurance purposes and that is good enough for me. I am mature enough and big enough to appreciate the limits of my "courage" --as Dirty Harry said " man must know his limitations" and when it comes to firearms and defense, I will do EVERYTHING to avoid same UNLESS it comes down to my reasonsable expectation of great bodily injury or death--that does not include "stuff".

  11. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    For those of you that aren't religious, you aren't going to like this, but TOO BAD. Deal with it!

    I think I can clear up pretty quickly, in my words, why the law is written the way it is about " You can't take a life over "stuff" ". Most of our laws are based upon laws from the Old Testament, or at least old religious laws. The REAL reason, however, is the " Be patient, GOD isn't finished with me yet!" belief.

    Young people especially make stupid decisions. They learn with experience. Killing a young person, even 19 years old, is awful. That person still has time to "turn around". And what would be in the car anyway that would justify taking someone's life?

    This case is no more than an old man that is pissed off about the unchecked rush of crime in our country, and the liberal courts and justice system that let folks too easily. He wanted to "rid the streets of garbage", and took the law into his own hands. He murdered someone, as far as I'm concerned. And GOD wasn't finished with that young man yet.
    I have a policy that I wouldn't kill somebody over stuff. The exception is our bakery because we don't have insurance to cover a cash loss and someone presenting a weapon. That said, why does it effect me if somebody else makes a different decision?
    Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; 06-10-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast