Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

1. I don't understand the question. Could you please re-phrase it for me?

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45 View Post
    In my opinion the older gentleman should have called 911 and probably left it at that. Shooting people outside the home over property isn't worth it to anyone. It's just "stuff" that can be fixed or replaced, legally it's "thin ice", and there may be more than one person to deal with if one confronts the perp(s). Obviously, if the kid had tried to enter the house that would be another story. We all want to protect our property and feel helpless and violated if we don't, but if there is no imminent danger to us or our loved one's lives I'd say let the cops deal with it.

We had an incident last year here in west Michigan where a homeowner shot up some kids as they were attempting to flee in a car... turned out the homeowners son had arranged for some of his buddy's to T-P the house as a prank. Fortunately,no one got seriously hurt but the homeowner was charged with all sorts of violations.

One question I have pertaining to the incident at hand... is it best to have someone remove their hands from their pockets while facing you or when their back is turned? If the perp is turned he could surreptitiously pull a gun, spin and shoot... or, if facing you they could simply pull a gun before you can react... what is the best way to deal with this situation?
    An old reply but I felt the need to respond. This comment was made:
    Shooting people outside the home over property isn't worth it to anyone. It's just "stuff"
    Some people keep a gun in the glove box of their vehicle maybe the old man haad another gun stored in his car. is it still stuff?

This incident started HOW? The intrusion was initiated by whom? This never would have escalated into anything had the perp obeyed the Law. Right/Wrong, did he, did he not...........ALL after the fact. The AG found no reason to prosecute, I agree with him. For the touchy-feely types----NO, I would not shoot anyone over "stuff" UNLESS when I instructed, in EXTREMELY LOAD VOICE, TO FREEZE. IF you don't obey my order or you jerk, twitch, grab for something...........

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Hey mappow: You can do what your want to anyone on your property and in SC, "forceable entry" is a key phrase but it must be in an "occupied vehicle". If you want to be Dirty Harry, and not the "touchy feely" type as you so rudely infer, have at it and I will applaud you for ridding the world of a slime, but I can tell you that if I was on a jury I would have a hard time understanding where and how your "reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury " became evident as you fail to call 911 and rush out of the house with the intent to shoot and kill someone who does not listen to your commands as they look around your truck ( I do not believe the kid ever forced entry into the truck but was interested in the contents of the bed on the truck. In the case first discussed in this thread, the prosecutor declined to press charges against the perp and I do not know whether any civil charges were followed--so no charges of any kind were filed against the old man.
    As to the question raised by MI.45: Just asking the question about removing hands from pocket either facing you or not facing you is indication enough that you and many others (including myself), as expressed by Big1861, are not about to confront such problems over some slime walking around my truck for stuff unless there is a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury where the slime is looking right at you at a fairly close distance.
    Hey to y'all: Do whatever grabs you and have at it. It is just downright discourteous and immature to put down other forum members because you disagree and are willing to be more proactive in any response you make literally on anyone who "wrongs" you in anyway. You want to disagree--fine--just leave the uncalled for comments in your mind and not on this forum. They may make you feel good as you write them but they actually belittle you and your thoughts.

Knew you'd comment KEL, you've not really missed anything I've put out there yet. Glad you've got it all figured out and happy with your choices. You defend yourself as you see fit and I'll tend to my sheep accordingly.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Man, lots of responses on this topic. My answer is simple. If the BG is outside the house and trying to get in or just creeping around, I'll arm myself - takes me about 5 seconds - and then call 911 and let the police handle the problem. If the BG was already inside, and had not got to me yet, I WOULD KILL HIS/HER ASS! The hard part is detecting them before they get to you. They already have the element of surprise, most of the time, so getting the drop on them may be a little tougher than we might think. We have a good alarm system and a dog, so I might have the advantage. The rest would be in God's hands.

Hey mappow:Finally your last post agreed with me. You do what you gotta do and I will do what I gotta do--that is ALL my posts have been about. Why you get angry (it comes thru loud and clear in your writings) when someone states a position that is not to your liking or disposition is beyond me. When you wish to disagree with a post a simple "with all due respect to your position" is all that it takes without your demeaning "touchy feely" garbage. I thought we were all on this forum to learn things about firearms and personal defense but it seems that you take this too personal with uncalled for and demeaning comments. Learn to lighten up a bit on this forum and I would be happy to call you my fellow forum friend. Kindly note the previous post by "hand"--there are other "touchy feelies" out there who do not agree with your "shoot um all" approach on your property. I truly understand your frustration over ANYONE taking something from you that does not belong to them but kindly review your state's guns laws to appreciate when you can use same to take another life. SC, where I live, is far from the liberal NY/NJ/DC and some rulings have me perplexed, but the law is clear "reasonble fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury" when there is "unlawlful and forcible entering of a dwelling, residence or OCCUPIED vehicle or burglarizing same"--you go out and look for trouble when your life is not in danger (and I understand your comments fully) and you may find more than you bargained for--we really agree but I still think of "stuff" and "life" in an entirely different way than you. Peace brother--be safe and lets have learned fun on this forum and not animosity--there is enough of that going around in this country and the world these days.

This happened so long ago that the scar will be healed up totally! Be nice to know if the bright flash, loud bang, and sickening slap of the bullet impact caused a change of thought patterns of this thief.

In watching video of home invader (one of) who had been shot by a home owner, religion had arrived! Not doing that again! Still a criminal, but not creeping homes at night anymore!

Half the shots fired in these kind of situations are accidental discharges any how!

Especially in depressed economic times, both when people's individual economic downturns are more liable to turn to criminality, and when other people's budgets are already stretched entirely thin enough and can't broach the replacement of material capital lost to theft or vandalism, there is nothing, no morality, no law, anyone can point to that will keep rational gun owners from defending what's there's from theft or destruction by lethal force.

If I go out at night and find someone in my car trying to hot wire it (good frickin' luck there), I'm not going to consider that I might go to jail, I'm going to consider I'll no longer be able to get to my medical appointments in another city. I'm not going to consider, what would the bureaucrats in the city government rather I do? I might briefly consider the replacement costs of bulletholes in glass and blood in upholstry. Actually, I won't because I want those things changed anyway.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Especially in depressed economic times, both when people's individual economic downturns are more liable to turn to criminality,
    Oddly enough, it seems that overall, there has been a reduction in home burglaries due to the recession. People are staying home because they no longer work, thus less homes are easy targets. Other side of this coin is that home invasion style robberies seem to be more common than they used to be.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast